Re: GameSpy closing down

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

It's not over until we say it's over :lol2:
:barf:
Jim DLD-RABBIT
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

But wait, 333Networks can load every server like the GameSpy? If yes it's really good, just there is only one problem.
If join a new player to the Tournament how connect to any server if he/she don't know the master server shut down? And other players who don't know what happening.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

That's why it is important to tell others about alternatives.
Link I provided has straightforward guide how to change default master server.
Epic has yet to announce anyting, but right now it's possible to use 3rd party solution.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

333Networks Can load every server like the GameSpy? So, yes?

Anyway...
TheDane wrote:
maximdymok wrote:Why can't Epic just start hosting the utmaster server again? I assume it was hosted by them, right? If Darkelarious hosts his own master server, I can't imagine Epic not being able to.
Epic is in it for the $$$$, they gain zero $ by doing so, but they "Waste" bandwidth on their server doing so. Best shot with Epic it so convince them to release the master server scripts - like that would ever happen.
Only the $$$$... That's not disgusting from the Epic? Everything is about the money?
Oh good sure Epic Games employee are hunger, joke. Where is the good act in the peoples?
It's like if I have a baker and I have "junk" product why I put it in to the trash if I can give it to the homeless people?
Sure if Epic Games keeps the Master Servers don't tell me this going to bankruptcy.
Why UT2004, Why UT3... What about the good one classic. I think still more people playing with UT99 that UT2004 and UT3.
I just looked GameTracker and UT99 have more server and player than UT2004 and UT3, what about we are talking?
If Epic games don't do something with this problem, many people will hate it.
I just hope something will happen and me, and other peoples don't need to stress on this.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

We still don't know what epic is planning. Everybody calm down.
You must construct additional pylons.
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

All this worrying is making me :barf: :? :agree1: We have TOP MEN working on this :tu:
Jim DLD-RABBIT
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Hellkeeper wrote:We still don't know what epic is planning. Everybody calm down.
I think they are planning absolutely nothing - and I hope I'm wrong. :help:
Retired.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

TheDane wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:We still don't know what epic is planning. Everybody calm down.
Didn't they say they were working on something?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote:
TheDane wrote:
Yeah, but they only did confirm something for UT3 ... not single word about UT99.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

papercoffee wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:
TheDane wrote:
Yeah, but they only did confirm something for UT3 ... not single word about UT99.
And here is the problem. Why Epic is forget UT99?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Why do you care if we already have a solution with the 333network MS? Companies move on and they give up on to their older products and their fans. That's just how it is. Epic actually has a very good history of taking care of its players and fans up to a point. If you want really shitty ones, go see the likes of Electronic Arts, Games Workshop and others; these are actually assholes.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

But not everyone know that. And 333 can't load every server. And what about new players? And Epic is killing other old games if not doing something.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

I am keeping some sort of record at http://333networks.com/masterserver-updates with what I'm doing. No matter what alternatives there may or may not be, I continue the development as a hobby. I am adding support for other games, but for me it is not realistic to buy (read: download/pirate) a version of every game in the "possible support" list. People will just have to try which game works and which doesn't. If I can support it, I will. If I can't, then I cant'.

As far as I know, everybody who uses 333networks, should be able to advertise the server and receive the game list. Until May 31st, I have the ability to "proof run" my server, after that time, it will be more difficult if I make mistakes in the development. At this point I am planning three master servers:

ACTIVE
1) master.333networks.com - supports all games in "the list" (see 333networks site), but the website will be only about UT.

NOT ACTIVE YET
2) noccer.333networks.com - master server that supports all games in the list, located in Germany/Europe, but does not (yet?) have additional services such as a website or server status
3) (unknown name).333networks.com - same, but located in eastern USA. We just started setting it up, so we don't have a name yet. Any cool suggestions?

The first one is already up and running, the other two are just getting ready for a periode of testing. When we have these test versions up, it can be that things go horribly wrong (incomplete server lists, failed uplinks, total apocalypse, etc), so I hope everybody understand that we need time to test everything throroughly before it gets ready. It would be nice if a large number of admins and players can start adding master servers when we announce them on the website, so we can see how they act under increasing pressure/use.

A long time ago, I read that when you have too many uplinks and/or master servers listed, client or server could crash. Has anybody been able to confirm and solve that?

As usual, we will announce all new information when we have it on 333networks.com
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
NLA*Complete
Novice
Personal rank: Legendary!

Post by NLA*Complete »

Goodbye GST it was fun while it lasted!
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Hellkeeper wrote:Why do you care if we already have a solution with the 333network MS? Companies move on and they give up on to their older products and their fans. That's just how it is. Epic actually has a very good history of taking care of its players and fans up to a point. If you want really shitty ones, go see the likes of Electronic Arts, Games Workshop and others; these are actually assholes.
Well, if we end up having to rely solely on 333networks, then we need to start telling every server admin and player to add the lines to their ini as soon as possible - to get all the players and servers to work after GS goes down. Even if a mod is made which lets players add those lines to their ini, it will still be better to deploy it as soon as possible since not everyone plays every day.