[UT][U227] Curse II HD edition

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
_naruto_999
Average

[UT][U227] Curse II HD edition

Post by _naruto_999 »

Curse II HD edition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Chages from 7 years ago version:
- Pretty stained glass decoration (hand drawn. Carved some skylights to add them)
- EFX added to all zones
- Merged some zones
- High resolution lightmap
- Slight changes to map's geometry
- Sunlight
- Rebuilt the tourches. The stock map's tourches were made with ugly deintersect brush, which creates extra triangles and vertexes.

Changes specific for UT version:
- No support for alpha blend. Texture converted to DXT1 and full translucent, including the black outlines

What I couldn't do:
- I'd like to have stained glass projecting colored shadows. But the projector doesn't care about BSP occlusion, making the decal go through walls and floors. It's also impossible to have the decal fuzzier farther away and sharper closer to the source, unless I do the decal texture fuzzier mylsef.

Download:
Oudated versions removed
Last edited by _naruto_999 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
_naruto_999
Average

Re: [UT][U227] Curse II HD edition

Post by _naruto_999 »

Final version:

- Dirty hack to reproduce the stained glass in UT without alpha blend. One texture has the colors and is DXT1 set to transparent in game. The other has the black outlines and is DXT1 with 1bit alpha. More or less the same memory footprint as doing one DXT3 with alpha channel but twice as much overdraw.
- Replaced BSP based fire with simple sprite with animated texture. Fewer triangles to render and avoids HOMs.
- Increased lightmap resolution a bit further

Difference between UT and U227:
- Fire has alpha blend in U227, it's DXT5. UT lacks alpha blend, so DXT1 with transparency in use. Maybe I did it wrong, in UT the fire is more red than in U227. Yellow fire matches the color of the lights better than red.

Download:
Oudated versions removed
Last edited by _naruto_999 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Is this an error on my side on yours? I thought I removed those drivers because my game crashes sometimes with them...
Shot0002.jpg
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Without the ability to recognise the EFX zone data it will fail to open.
You should be able to just have the new renderers installed, but still use the old Galaxy, without the cool audio effects or 16bit 44k OGG playback.
Just having them sat in the folder won't crash anything if you don't use them normally.

Make sure you use the new beta versions, rather than the old "OMP" release from years ago.
The newest build is from a different branch.
If the base OpenAL renderer is crashy for you, use one of the others.
Creative and Realtek have dropped OpenAL support since Vista, so the SwFmod renderer is the better option for some people.
I use SwFmod.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:yeah but I'm using Galaxy, I don't even think I ever had those drivers installed on this UT. Could the case be that the map was made dependent on this driver? Map looks great in the screenshots, and U1 compatible is always a winner. @DrFlay I will try the new one again, it was a certain event passed from the server to the client, like pop on headshots

Code: Select all

PlayerPawn(Killer).clientReliablePlaySound(Sound'UnrealI.CannonExplode');
would crash the game every few dozen rounds
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Yes it is dependent on having the OpenAL renderer present, as the EFX zone is added as a new Zone actor subclass.
The engine won't mind if you choose not to use it, as it is an after-effect I guess.
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

when you release something put all the files :)
Brazilian Server:
Alma Negra - 34.95.189.187:7777
Classic - madruga.utbr.cf:7777
Duel - x1.utbr.cf:6666
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

I played all of yours remaked map what you released the last time, pretty good job man! ;)