Problem with "Female One/Two" sounds on Custom Models

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
Tobibrocki
Novice

Problem with "Female One/Two" sounds on Custom Models

Post by Tobibrocki »

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if I should make a thread about this problem or not, but I simply cannot solve it on my own as it seems.

Here is the thing, everything worked fine until last week or so, I did nothing new to my UT install, no new maps, nothing, but out of the blue the female voices (Female One & Female Two) seem to have stopped working or have been oddly exchanged with some of the sounds from "Male One". This is not the case for every model though, the official ones that came with the game are fine, only some of my custom models seem to have this issue. Mostly the UT2004 Models and a Model I rigged in MS3D for private use a while back.
During Gameplay as bots or as the player model they say the lines like "Toasted" or "I slaugthered that guy" just fine (usually) but when it comes to vocal sounds (like when you jump or get killed, the "urgh", "aaah", etc. those sounds) they either are not there or, as is the case with my privately rigged model, you'll hear the sounds from "Male One" when getting hit or killed, but the jumping, dodging or landing sounds are not there either though.
I have no idea what the issue is here, since it happens with both of these, I can only assume that Skeletal Rigged Models are the only ones affected.

Does anyone here have a suggestion on what I could try to potentially fix this? Because, I have tried reinstalling, restarting the game and rebooting the computer already and even on a fresh install, the sounds don't work. I even re-exported my custom rigged model to see if that changes anything, but it doesn't, and copying the sounds from a different install to the current UT folder doesn't help either. I'm just out of ideas on what I could do here to get it to work properly again.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Problem with "Female One/Two" sounds on Custom Models

Post by papercoffee »

Well, it seems those models are not assigned in a right way to their corresponding "gender/species"
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

When you reinstalled did you fully delete the old folder or install over top of it? I've seen weirdness happen if you don't fully delete your UT before putting it back in. Also don't save your ini's and just paste them back in (because that's almost surely where this problem lies). Start with a fresh set then rebuild once everything is good. With patience you'll find your problem spot if you care to know, otherwise it will be fixed anyway.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Go into User.ini and skim down to the section where it lists your bots. Matching names to numbers (don't worry, all aspects of each bot are numbered) find the bots in question that are using the wrong voice. From standard models that are using voices you want on certain models, copy what it says under them to the corresponding place on the models you want talking a specific way.

When in doubt, I learned a long time back direct edits of the .ini files can be handy. Like clearing out the weapon slots, also in User.ini, because everytime you use a weapons mutator it screws up the order there. Also why some of my custom models default weapons aren't limited only to the ones you can select in the bot setup window.

Also keep in mind that certain models have custom sounds and others don't. The custom sounds are usually in sound files that come with the model, they have nothing to do with a voicepack.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

@EvilGrins:
I have looked into the User.ini and apparently the Bots have the correct Voices assigned to them. I have custom Bots on the first five slots (the ones that have issues) and this is what the .ini tells me:

Code: Select all

VoiceType[0]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
VoiceType[1]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
VoiceType[2]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
VoiceType[3]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
VoiceType[4]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
VoiceType[5]=BotPack.VoiceFemaleOne
The problem might probably lie somewhere else, I guess maybe the issue is model(type) specific.

@JackGriffin:
I didn't want to delete the folder (too much stuff in it) so what I did was "cut" and paste it on the desktop and then used the Unreal Anthology DVD to Uninstall and reinstall a fresh UT. Like I said the new install has the same issues and from what I read/heard, a install is only really necessary to make umod files work, or am I mistaken here?
Anyway, all I did with the fresh install was choose the video driver, install Bonus Pack 4 and install a model that has said issues, I ran the game, and the same problems happened.

@papercoffee:
How do I check if that is the case?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Tobibrocki wrote: @JackGriffin:
I didn't want to delete the folder (too much stuff in it) so what I did was "cut" and paste it on the desktop and then used the Unreal Anthology DVD to Uninstall and reinstall a fresh UT.
I know you don't want to hear this but that's what is causing your repeated problems.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

What custom models do you use?
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

@papercoffee:
One I rigged myself (MilkShape3D exported) and one mega pack called "UT2k4 Characters for UT" (it is a bunch of 2004 models in one file combined).

@JackGriffin:
I can understand that the problem might be because of this, however, I moved the original folder to a different location, started the installer which uninstalled what it could and reinstalled a stock UT, to which I did nothing except redownload Bonus Pack 4 and install that one and copy the model over from the old folder I have now sitting in a new location. I don't know how this still has an effect on it?
I could try to install the game on my laptop though and copy the Bonus Pack 4 and the model over and see what happens there to really confirm stuff.

But lets assume for a moment this is really the issue, how would I go about fixing this? If I would uninstall the current more or less stock install of UT, it would only remove that one, the one on my desktop would still exist (and I would probably make a copy of it actually to a external harddrive, to save me some work later) and just deleting that folder and its contents doesn't seem like it would fix it just like that. I assume I would probably have to do some registry cleaning of some kind, which I have actually never done.

It is odd though that it's only those few custom models that are affected, the voice files are not corrupted or anything, they work fine with the other custom models and the stock models.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

UT is subject to corruption over time. Often it's not anything you have directly done, rather it's just files getting overwritten by it's own engine that aren't done correctly.

Also this brings up something that I don't have solid information on but is more circumstantial. It appears to me that the game saves more information than the ini's would reflect especially where the host computer settings is concerned. I think I know how it works and it would explain the corruption that we see in longer term installations but doesn't really offer any sort of solution. You could be a huge help in this by testing out if we can clear your problem. Here's what you can do if you want (if not that's fine, I understand):
1) Make a copy of your entire UT folder. You can keep it on the same drive or on another drive, it doesn't matter as long as it's not in the default location (C:/unrealtournament/ for example).
2) Do not use this backup copy until our test is over. What I mean is don't open the exe or the editor, I want your host computer to not know UT exists in that folder for now.
3) Delete your normal UT installation by add/remove programs. It's fine since you have an entire backup, you can put it right back when we are done if you want.
4) Once you have deleted via add/remove now manually delete the UT folder if it remains. Empty the recycle bin too so it's not referenced in the registry. There's no need to do a registry scan and clean, if we have to do that then my theory is not valid.
5) Reinstall using Steam or a standard GOTY disk. Don't open your backup folder at all to get anything from it yet.
6) Now check and see if the problem is cleared. If it is then I'm more certain of being correct about my ideas. Either way you can overwrite your backup folder into here and restore your game to how it was before. Reinstalling restores the needed registry entries so you will be good to go.

Like I said if you don't want to do this I totally understand. Some people just want their game fixed and screw the testing work. I just thought I'd ask.
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

JackGriffin wrote: 5) Reinstall using Steam or a standard GOTY disk. Don't open your backup folder at all to get anything from it yet.
I would try what you suggested, but this point is where it would stop kinda. I don't have a Steam Copy and neither do I have a standard GOTY cd. I don't even have a GOG copy, all I have is the Unreal Anthology DVD, and when I install from there it will delete all others of it's games as well, it won't let you reinstall unless you let it uninstall all other games you have installed from it. I have done it before yesterday to install a stock copy of UT so I just need to backup the other game folders again, but you said I should install it from a different medium, not sure if I should purchase a GOG copy of it for the test or if the Unreal Anthology copy is still enough.

In any case I would have to do the testing later as I'm going to head out for work soon, but if a GOG copy or the UA DVD version is enough I could try it then.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Sure, any of those is great. It just needs to install using a standard media.
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

I did the test now based on your guide for the most part, I did (have to) do a few things different though, for example I rebootet the PC after uninstalling the game and emptying the trashcan to make extra sure. I installed the game once the PC was up and running again, but before I could test anything I had to reinstall the OpenGL Driver for UT99, Bonus Pack 4 (for the Skeletal System Support) and one of the custom models that didn't work with the sound. I made sure not to open the other UT Folder and instead got everything that was necessary from the Internet. Once I configured some stuff quickly I bootet into a match on DM-Turbine and... same as before, the custom model has no sound when playing as said model and even as a bot it made no sound (that was the UT2k4 custom model). I then opened the other UT Folder to get my own custom rigged model in the new install and checked again, same thing as before even with this one, only this time there was the Male One voice again when you got hit or died, and when used as a bot the same rule applied to that one, Male One except for the spoken sentences. So yeah, that was the result.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Tobibrocki wrote:@papercoffee:
One I rigged myself (MilkShape3D exported) and one mega pack called "UT2k4 Characters for UT" (it is a bunch of 2004 models in one file combined).
Is it this pack?
http://www.gamefront.com/files/9671855/ ... r_UT_v1_01
Tobibrocki
Novice

Post by Tobibrocki »

@papercoffee:
I just checked that downloads readme file and compared it with mine, yeah, thats the one. I got mine from a different site though but they are identical, the .zip is only named differently, the files are the same.
When I test this Modelpack, I usually go to my player settings, choose "Aryss 2k4" as my player model and head into a map, there, when I jump around, get hit, etc. I hear nothing but silence and regular movement noises, no vocal feedback whatsoever though.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I *really* appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm incredibly surprised at the result but it is what it is.

I downloaded the zip above and I see the issue:
Authors: «:MX:»RoninMastaFX and BlackCheetah
Avoid his work, it's always problematic.