Downloaded Mods & Maps......

Discussions about UT99
jimlp12
Novice

Downloaded Mods & Maps......

Post by jimlp12 »

Hello Everyone;
I'm sure that we've all run into this at one time or another, now what...? Like most player's, I've searched the Internet for new Mod's and Maps. I don't play on-line gaming, it's just me against the Bot's..... Single-Player. Since variety is the spice of life, I look for some new maps and/or something different. I found some mods and maps here(not actually here, figure of speech) and there, downloaded them, installed and they don't work....! The problem is with the Mod/Map description, it's got a catchy name or some other lure like "Sniper blah,blah, blah" so I try it.... Now, I've got all these mods and maps that only run on "Servers" and NOT in Single-player Mode. Yeah, I saw some that said up to 10 players or 2 to 8 players, and I know these are "server" items and I avoid them. But most do not state whether they're Single-Player or Multi-Player Server items.
I'm in an RV and use WiFi so it's really a waste of my time downloading stuff that doesn't work in Single-player mode, but how do ya tell the actual difference...? Other than the description, if there is one...? Looking for my newly downloaded maps or mods.....? Turns out there in the "Server" section of UT's .ini file.... WTF...? I didn't want that....! So here's my question, does anyone actually know how to reconfigure these Non-working mods and maps so they'll work in the Single-player Mode...? Is there some other UT.ini).int) file location that I can move them to so they'll function...? Or should I just delete them and accept the creators screw up...? Thanks, in advance for any and all help with this.....
James..... :loool:
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Downloaded Mods & Maps......

Post by TheDane »

jimlp12 wrote:Or should I just delete them and accept the creators screw up...?
It's actualy you WHO screws it up, and if you didn't put on this attitude I would tell you what you need to do to get them to work.... but now you must wait and see if someone else wants to give you the words of common knowledge.

Lots of creators has made UT what it is today, only very few of them have screwed something up in the process.

And it would be much easier for someone to help you if you list the mods you have problems with, though I'm pretty sure it's not the mods that are the problem.
Retired.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

TheDane wrote: It's actualy you WHO screws it up, and if you didn't put on this attitude I would tell you what you need to do to get them to work....
Easy, Dane, easy. I don't think he did mean it like that... just a linguistic mistake.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

From where exactly (and what) did you download? Can't help without knowing the most basic info :what:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

When he posts an example tech him how to generate his own int files instead of just making them for him. That way he understands a lot more and others have a reference page to go to. I'd do the write-up if you guys want.

D is just a little frustrated because this is the sort of email/PM devs get all the time. "Your mod is junk because it won't work!" after they cache-ripped it instead of a proper download/install. We can fix it though once he posts an example he needs.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Speaking as another person who largely plays offline (though i do enjoy online play) I kinda would ask the OP for an example. I don't know a lot of mods/mutators that only work online, certainly not ones where there isn't an equivilent version that's not server based.

What specific ones are giving you an issue?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

JackGriffin wrote:D is just a little frustrated because this is the sort of email/PM devs get all the time. "Your mod is junk because it won't work!" after they cache-ripped it instead of a proper download/install.
Yeah, that might be it...... It's just damn hard for me and on behalf of my fellow developers to have our works described as a screw up just because someone can't get it to work :mad2:

So... to answer the question, yes.... just delete it and forget about it.......
papercoffee wrote:Easy, Dane, easy. I don't think he did mean it like that... just a linguistic mistake.
Yeah maybe, but even using Google translate it sounds offending. Not the best approach to get help IMHO.
Retired.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:
TheDane wrote: It's actualy you WHO screws it up, and if you didn't put on this attitude I would tell you what you need to do to get them to work....
Easy, Dane, easy. I don't think he did mean it like that... just a linguistic mistake.
Ignorance is bliss. Its ok, not many people know whats up and there is all kinds of learning curve.

To James, have you looked for single player map pack? Like monster hunt? ;)

We should make a thread for offline maps and stuff.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

This is a simple and common miss-understanding.
If I had a penny for every UT player that only used the Single-Player option offline, I would be rich.

If you are selecting "single-player" mode in UT, then you will not see any custom maps or mods.
Single-Player mode is so you can play the default "ladder" of standard maps (so boring).
You need to choose the "Start Practice" mode, and then you can choose a mode and map, select how many bots, how long you want, and if you want to use any mutators.

All maps should work offline in some way, or they could not be built or tested.
The main difference with sniper maps, is the authors often do not bother to path them, so bots cannot navigate.
I almost always have to path sniper maps before I can play offline.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote:If you are selecting "single-player" mode in UT, then you will not see any custom maps or mods.
Given he said he plays SP with bots, I'm thinking he doesn't mean single-player like the folks at http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/index.php do but just playing on his system without any other human players.

That and I got ahold of, somewhere or other, an SP emulator/gametype a stretch back. Provided you rename certain maps to gametype, like say DM or DOM, to SP then you can play them with a wide range of mutators or modifications. I've tried it on actual SP-maps while using Nali Weapons 3... which is a bit of overkill but hella fun!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
jimlp12
Novice

Post by jimlp12 »

To all who replied to my post, Downloaded Mods & Maps;
Thanks for your comments, If some of you took it personally, that's YOUR problem (TheDane) I dont have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem..! I do not choose Single player in UT99, I just don't get on the WEB and do multi-player games on-line, like I said I'm living in an RV, and I'm using Verison Jetpack wi-fi and I'm charged for data usages, so game playing on-line is totally out of the question. I do start the game, and select Practice or I choose a map from the map files, which starts the game with that Map. I am not a MOD or a MAP creator or anything else, just a player...! But, I do know how to open the UT.ini file (notepad or wordpad) WHEN instructions say "Add this to your .ini file" I do not Program in UT and to be completely frank, I know very little about the UT Engine, and its operation. I came here to find a solution to the Maps and Mods not working, if one creates either or, and they post it on a site to be downloaded and played, it, in my opinion, should be well documented so players like myself know first hand whether its Single-player or Multi-player . If it only runs on a "Server" it should be stated as such...! You all claimed that you get these kind of Posts all the time, so the whole problem is obvious, not only to me, but to others as well. Since we do not create, program or mess around inside UT or other games, we do not have the knowledge that you all have when it comes to adding a Mod or a Map.... If you're offended, you'll get over it, sooner or later... I hope...? If not, oh well.... Look around for Mods and Maps, NOT all sites post Single-player, Mutli-player "Sections" or "Categories".... the fact is most Mods and Maps are for "Server" machines that feed Multi-player on-line gaming. Yeah, its exciting to play against other human beings on-line and its fun, been there done that. But NOT in an RV...! In Traveling around, wi-fi is not always the greatest in many areas. As for the comment that states that "I screwed it up" here's another fact, ..... The package came with a "read me File", I read it, left open in notepad while editing the UT.ini file and I followed the text to the letter, being careful not to "Screw it up"....
I'll look elsewhere for the knowledge...
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:If you downloaded it from the internet odds are it's made for online. The distinction isn't much, as JackGriffin says you probably read in the readme a serveractor line, or there is no .int files and the readme says you need to add a mutator to the commandline or mapvote. Most will be the latter, there will be the odd one you find that are actors and have to be manually added before you open the game and then manually removed, (I think that would work?). Lastly you could set up dedicated server for yourself (on your own machine very easily) to play on if the mod was definitely not going to work any other way

What Dane says is that as a developer you have to go out of your way to noobify a mod into a selectable mutator in the GUI, and a multiplayer server mod isn't even going to have a GUI anyway, most of us wouldn't bother to make .int files unless we were really fussed with making a big public release

Also, no offense by this, but you know what paragraphs are?
Last edited by UT99.org on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It's a completely generational thing billy. These newer people are used to using text messages and they never really get reinforced to use proper grammar. You see it too in these type of posts. It almost always distills down to "It doesn't work for me the way I want it to so it's your fault and you need to fix it." That's why I posted about helping him learn how. I know damn good and well he's not going to take the time from 4chan, 9gag, and snapchat to spend actually making an effort.

In 20 years society is going to be vastly different. We've all got a front-row seat to watch and it's going to be incredibly entertaining.

I'm sorry you feel like you do jim, but this site isn't likely a good fit for you anyway. If you change your mind I'm available. PM me and I'll switch to email and help you if that meets your internet access problem better. Good luck!
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:It's a completely generational thing billy. These newer people are used to using text messages and they never really get reinforced to use proper grammar. You see it too in these type of posts. It almost always distills down to "It doesn't work for me the way I want it to so it's your fault and you need to fix it." That's why I posted about helping him learn how. I know damn good and well he's not going to take the time from 4chan, 9gag, and snapchat to spend actually making an effort.
From his self introducing thread...
jimlp12 wrote:... I'm a 64 yr old white male...
Don't colour everyone with the same brush, because you jump to conclusions to early this way.
billybill wrote: as Kelly says
You should probably stay to his username JackGriffin ...not everyone out there knows who Kelly is.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:He did take the time to sign up here and ask around. Sort of funny hearing a cancer survivor talking about a disabled person like that. I'm going to be more careful with words. What about an int generator that could help Jim. Run the .U files through a script and as long as they haven't been obfuscated you should get outputs for a lot of the contents. Beats explaining how to manually open the .U file and search for them
papercoffee wrote:
billybill wrote: as Kelly says
You should probably stay to his username JackGriffin ...not everyone out there knows who Kelly is.
Oops! I thought he was Kelly here. I'll go back and edit that