GameSpy closing down

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: GameSpy closing down

Post by Red_Fist »

Incase you didn't understand, but, all my UT master server stuff is still all stock settings.

Still refresh ?

Thing is, I look for unpopulated servers to get maps, aaaaaaaarg. And play them to check it out without people rushing towards the exit before I get to see the whole map.
Binary Space Partitioning
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:nah you shouldn't need to do anything. When you load up the browser it sends a "phone home" message to Epic which updates you to whatever stock master servers they give you. Unless you have messed with something to prevent it from doing this
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

No, because up until like 2 days ago, might be earlier, but my MH tab don't work, it won't look for MH anymore.

That is when I hit other tabs, but if Loathsome SP servers saved in my favorites, either changes IP or no one is on the server, there is no way for me to find them since it only picks off populated servers.

And is what lead me to click on populated servers, that injects MH and all other game types.
So something changed, been on UT from the start.

All stock settings.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Same for the NW3 tab.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

LoL, face it, we are screwed. The ONLY redeemimg force might be the new UE4, to save our old game by running a new master server.

As for 333 network, they better concentrate on FINDING servers like we did with Quake 1, Quakespy that turned into gameespy, Pingtool came along later after Quakespy stopped, because he sold out to some official BS then called gamespy.

Pingtool was a stand alone program that searched the web to find Quake servers. Why can't we have that now for the demise of Unreal ?
Cus it's going to happen, just like Quake 1 or 2 , I bet Pingtool will still find a Quake game.

It was depressing then, and now.

Well now we need UTspy. :)

And what really erks me to this day is, when "gamespy" came along they stole or used, the same icon from when things where free AND only for Quake,, and turned into some corporate mess.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

I have EavyServerBrowser installed (a UT mod that replaces UBrowser.UBrowserSubsetFact in UnrealTournament.ini and is intended to speed up server querying), and I'm fairly certain that's the reason I'm having trouble with game-type tabs in the server browser: I see the "master server timeout master0.gamespy.com" messages each time I open a tab other than "UT Servers".

Besides that, I just grepped the contents of my system folder for "gamespy.com" and it gave me back this list:

C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\MonsterHunt.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\NuclearRacesBETA1-2.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\NWCoreVIII.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\olextras.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\RocketArena.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\SevenB.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\UBrowser.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealShare.u
C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\XidiaMPack.u

Seems MonsterHunt and RocketArena are hardcoded for the gamespy master server. Perhaps these packages could be updated in light of recent developments.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Red_Fist wrote:As for 333 network, they better concentrate on FINDING servers like we did with Quake 1, Quakespy that turned into gameespy, Pingtool came along later after Quakespy stopped, because he sold out to some official BS then called gamespy.
When GameSpy still worked, I received a list from all games and servers that worked with their server. When they shut down, I did no longer receive the updates. I still have the last list of updates, but I have no way of determining whether a server is still online. I have a proof of concept that works the following way:

- I use the last update from gamespy, which contains the server addresses for several different games
- I query those servers every X minutes, which is a trade-off between amount of data, and accuracy of that data
- I remove "dead" servers from the database/list, I keep updating the servers that respond in time

This method works (the results are shown at the main website at http://333networks.com/ut) but comes with one problem: billybill continuously instigates bitch fights, insults and accusations towards me and 333networks about how we "attack" servers with "robots", referring to a status request every 3 minutes. Billybill is among a few nay-sayers who ruin all the fun and motivation to solve the problem.

Also, imagine that I need to query 5 000 different addresses every hour, in order to determine whether each server is online, and where at least 30% of the servers have dynamic addresses; if they do not have 333networks in their Uplink list, I can not keep track of it. Eventually the list will die out, unless I find another way to "harvest", as billybill calls it, server addresses.

I am at an impasse: do I listen to the nay-sayers, and just pull the plug because they accuse 333networks of a problem (which, for the record, we are not related to, 333networks does not query Epic Games), or do I listen to the players with heart, who say that 333networks must try to find all possible server addresses and provide them freely, without the corporate nonsense, and ensure that communities now have a permanent foothold in the future of their favourite games?

Last, but not least, I indeed asked for a few Uscript coders a while ago; as read in above posts, some gametypes and services are hardcoded to GameSpy, are there a few people with the experience in Uscript willing to rewrite these classes so they take master server addresses from a configuration file instead? That way, everybody can decide for his/herself which master server he/she picks for those gametypes too. Please PM me or Dr.Flay if you feel up for helping with such a thing. It will be appreciated by a lot of people.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Darkelarious wrote: Last, but not least, I indeed asked for a few Uscript coders a while ago; as read in above posts, some gametypes and services are hardcoded to GameSpy, are there a few people with the experience in Uscript willing to rewrite these classes so they take master server addresses from a configuration file instead? That way, everybody can decide for his/herself which master server he/she picks for those gametypes too. Please PM me or Dr.Flay if you feel up for helping with such a thing. It will be appreciated by a lot of people.
It all depends how a string is hardcoded. To cut a long story short, if the specific reference to gamespy is not somehow accessible through a .ini or .int file, more precisely as a config or a localized variable, it gets quite complicated. Recompiling the package is not an option as it will cause version missmatches, manipulating the package through a seperate Actor is possible.

Fortunately, additional UBrowser Tabs should use a configurable way, which results in an easy access to modify. If you want to adjust the query adress for RocketArena for example, clients should add the following at the end of their UnrealTournament.ini file:

Code: Select all

[RocketArena.RABrowserWindow]
ListFactories[0]=RocketArena.UBrowserModFact,GameType=RocketArenaGame,bCompatibleServersOnly=True,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
MonsterHunt requires the following:

[MonsterHunt.MonsterBrowserWindow]
ListFactories[0]=MonsterHunt.UBrowserModFact,GameType=MonsterHunt,bCompatibleServersOnly=True,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh I am being stupid.

If you click on the "UTServers" tab it finds all the servers with no players, or with players.
Then if I click on the sort maplist, it lines up all the "MH" maps.

What I was saying about pingtool, was it's a stand alone program that you install, or just copy the program EXE in some directory.

I don't know how any of this stuff works about server stuff and all that.
But why couldn't you make a stand alone program that just scans UT ports or something, or is that idea just not going to work.

Remember we had 14.4 modems, I assumed pingtool didn't look for some Quake master server, I am probably wrong, I don't know. The other reason we needed pingtool was inside quake it only worked for a modem. But things changed on the computers and didn't work ingame because we had DSL and new hardware. so old quake wouldn't do a thing.

I tried that, paste inside the ini file, the MH tab couldn't find anything and ,no master, and the complaint at the bottom ended in "epi"
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Sp0ngeb0b wrote:

[RocketArena.RABrowserWindow]
ListFactories[0]=RocketArena.UBrowserModFact,GameType=RocketArenaGame,bCompatibleServersOnly=True,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
MonsterHunt requires the following:

[MonsterHunt.MonsterBrowserWindow]
ListFactories[0]=MonsterHunt.UBrowserModFact,GameType=MonsterHunt,bCompatibleServersOnly=True,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
This should be stickied IMO. Yes you would get the .u files on a grep but that's because the default settings are also contained within them

@Dark No, I do have a problem with masterservers 'looking' for game servers by 'emulating' clients. The correct method is a game server uplinks to a master server and opens a bindport usually one higher than the query port (ie ut/7779) which it can receive special info from the master server, and not your method of pretending to be a game client (ie 7778). Anyway, seems you are buying off the moderators one by one so your requests to 'move on' or change the subject will probably be more successful than me proving that you are breaking laws/EULA and sending unsolicited packets with your robots which number extremely high, even when you do not get a response your robots keep prodding hoping to get lucky. I don't quite know what to say when someone has no self shame in what they are doing, just don't expect people to embrace you as a savior and help you in any way
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Darkelarious wrote:
This method works (the results are shown at the main website at http://333networks.com/ut) but comes with one problem: billybill continuously instigates bitch fights, insults and accusations towards me and 333networks about how we "attack" servers with "robots", referring to a status request every 3 minutes. Billybill is among a few nay-sayers who ruin all the fun and motivation to solve the problem.
Well, it's not the naysayers, it is jealousity of those people that get a red head seeing others with success. Some people can't be cool if other have success with something, so they need to destroy and divide. It's a shame, but not for you, only for those liars and dividers.

I got an idea for you Darkelarious:

You don't need to harvest (as billibill calls it) IP adresses, i just give you a text file with all possible IPv4. Maybe he can then stop :D

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:It's probably a good thing that you are public about it. Having noccer and others query the list for you with cloaked addresses would be far worse. To be clear I don't think any robots should be querying the master list, that includes gametracker and any others. I do think you blatantly doing it could lead to others doing it, which means it's Epic's call to put back an EULA for their online services. I want to be even more clear that you providing the solution for a problem you are creating is not something to be thankful for.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Say, Dark, could you please show me the permission from Epic that you got (PM if you want)?

@billybill: we're not on his side, so don't worry about that. Hey maybe you bring a valid point here. However, that "Do what I say or I'll tell Epic about you not doing what I say" attitude has to stop. I didn't lock the thread only because of those valid posts.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

billybill wrote:It's probably a good thing that you are public about it. Having noccer and others query the list for you with cloaked addresses would be far worse.
Oh i like this idea. I should ask my friends which also have servers in different network centers to build up a little botnet, maybe around /24 just to fetch a list of 1000 IPs from Epic masterserver... :loool:

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<