Any "must-have" settings?

Discussions about UT99
UT99.org

Re: Any "must-have" settings?

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:You bring up a good point Wises. I have dabbled in keys that move in a direction while at the same time turn(aim) back towards what you are aiming at. Hmm I'll try explain that again, so you dodge to the right but you turn slightly left. Like they said on the UT4 cast, you can use dodge keys or whatever, and hey you might get good at using them after a while (I made that last part up). But going too far from default or generic setups is only going to set you back. That said, I've seen people do all sorts of stuff in other games with the new colored keycaps. Saw one guy playing starcraft with the right hand side of his keyboard and 100% custom keys, it was very weird but he seemed to be used to it already and played quite well. The big fears are the moment you change hardware something is different, or in a tournament they might be more strict about what you can and can't use. I don't think any servers have ever diss-allowed a keybind like what you are talking about but if you ask around there will be people who say that if one did master it then it would be too much BS
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I use a mouse where I can switch between 3 different dpi modes ...I'm more irritated when I hit the switch button accidentally in-game. It's much like you change the sensitivity and there is no real advantage you gain from it... but I'm not the sniper gamer ...rockets, grenades and a good melee weapon. That's what I like.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

billybill wrote: Oh duh how could I forget, if you set your weapon to hidden the aim does become better. Personally I've found it helps on the up down axis. Others say having your weapon on the right or left messes things up as well, I actually cannot confirm I've seen the right left bug. Either way though hide it and your crosshair will line up better
I use to think this years ago when I tried it but I think it's just a visual thing...less distractions so to speak.
And if the server is running a variety of different weapons it can get confusing on what weapon you have in hand.
Also when you hide your weapon it's hard to tell when your "invisibility" has expired.
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

billybill wrote: If you type preferences in the console and find your jump key you can set the Aup from 300 to a value I believe up to 1200. But let's use 900, that should get you out of slime quicker and speed up your "up" movement in maps like DM-Pyramid. If you set a key aside for walking|Jump then you can do impact hammer jumps without the complication of holding a walking key and pressing jump.
That's really interesting. Never knew that, thanks for sharing.
Wises wrote: Iam curious if any pro-type players set and use binds for turn-left/right?
Some people have binds that do 180 turns.
MEAT wrote: I use to think this years ago when I tried it but I think it's just a visual thing...less distractions so to speak.
And if the server is running a variety of different weapons it can get confusing on what weapon you have in hand.
Also when you hide your weapon it's hard to tell when your "invisibility" has expired.
The crosshair is changed when weapon is in the right hand. Center/Hidden both have the crosshair in the center.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

I guess it depends on the weapon/mod.
I run a redeemer server and my crosshairs look like these three.
First pic....crosshair only (covering your opponent) is visually easier to set
and seems to be more accurate because of that.
And for me the "circle" can be distracting at times. (but different strokes for different folks)

1.png
2.png
3.png
Phuckphucker
Novice

Post by Phuckphucker »

This might sound totaly stupid. But can anybody tell me how to spectate? I can't seem to find it.
Wises wrote: i used to use... different sens settings for weapons/instagib also I play in window mode with opengl and dfault fov.
Any reason why playing window mode? Also speaking about sensitivity.. I've read somewhere that "direct input" does the opposite of what it should. Any clue if that is true? Im not sure what feels "more accurate"..
rsbloom44 wrote:Center/Hidden both have the crosshair in the center.
I played around a bit, hidden is way more accurate than center in my case.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Enable the Spectator tick-box in the player setup window.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

rsbloom44 wrote: Iam curious if any pro-type players set and use binds for turn-left/right?
Some people have binds that do 180 turns.[/quote]

First time I've heard of this... not. I usually hear some cheat allow the player to auto turn at 180. So what are the bind you speak of?

(I never understood the Aup thing.)

Edit: About the crosshair, I just use the dot. & I also use a custom crosshair that have rainbow color and another 1 that is a smaller dot.
Whoop, fail quote editing.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Later UTs have a bind for 180 turn. In UT99 it turns them but it's very fast. Hold the button down you keep turning. Press the button you can end up facing anywhere, not 180 degrees. So when people say 180-turn button in UT99 they mean the rotating, which is completely different from the later UTs 180 turn button