Is it possible to have smooth gameplay with no mouse lag??

Discussions about UT99
YahMahsFat
Novice

Is it possible to have smooth gameplay with no mouse lag??

Post by YahMahsFat »

I've got a new pc that I built (Amd 6 core, Radeon 280x, Win 8.1 64-bit) and I've got UT running as well as I can but it still sucks because unless Vsync/Swap Interval is enabled, there is quite a bit of tearing with the graphics. Once Vsync/Swap Interval is enabled it's fine in D3D9 - runs smooth as could be! But there's mouse lag.

I've tried all of the following and nothing helps:

Installed the updated Opengl and D3D9 dll's
Edited the settings in the UT.ini according to the online guides
Disabled mouse smoothing
Disabled mouse acceleration and applied the windows registry fix
Set affinity to a single core
Disabled AMD Cool N Quiet in the bios
Used low quality textures and then tried the highest quality "Extreme End" ones

NOTHING helps with the screen tearing issue though. It seems the only options are to either deal with it but have 100% responsive mouse input, or turn on Vsync/Swap Interval and use D3D9 but suffer from mouse lag.

Is this just something I and everyone else just has to accept is there a fix for this that I haven't tried yet?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Is it possible to have smooth gameplay with no mouse lag

Post by papercoffee »

Wrong section ...moved!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Yes there is. Deactivate VSync. AFAIK there's pretty much always a bit of lag otherwise. Tearing is less important than smooth mouslook I believe.
You must construct additional pylons.
YahMahsFat
Novice

Post by YahMahsFat »

Hellkeeper wrote:Yes there is. Deactivate VSync. AFAIK there's pretty much always a bit of lag otherwise. Tearing is less important than smooth mouslook I believe.
I know this - like I said, it's fine with Vsync on apart other than the mouse lag but turned off, the tearing is awful but at least the mouse is ok. Is it not possible to have the best of both worlds?
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

What is your refresh rate? If it's 60hz and you set the fps cap to 200 of course there's going to be massive amounts of tearing. Also I would suggest using Direct Input for optimal mouse response.
YahMahsFat
Novice

Post by YahMahsFat »

rsbloom44 wrote:What is your refresh rate? If it's 60hz and you set the fps cap to 200 of course there's going to be massive amounts of tearing. Also I would suggest using Direct Input for optimal mouse response.
I never said I'd set the cap to 200 - I've set the refresh rate at 60, and the limit at 59.9 as per guidelines from elsewhere... I've tried 60, 62, 100... nothing seems to work.. Same problem on my friends new pc so it's not just me :(
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Don't be so dependent on the mouse.

I pretty much only use it for sniping.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
YahMahsFat
Novice

Post by YahMahsFat »

EvilGrins wrote:Don't be so dependent on the mouse.

I pretty much only use it for sniping.
I only play insta DM so it's kinda important :p even though I rely on movement to aim more than I do physically moving the mouse, but it's still a big issue with the game and a fix would be useful for a lot of people I'd imagine.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Mouse lag?
Use OpenGL, open advanced options and artificially limit the framerate to your screen HZ
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

YahMahsFat wrote:
rsbloom44 wrote:What is your refresh rate? If it's 60hz and you set the fps cap to 200 of course there's going to be massive amounts of tearing. Also I would suggest using Direct Input for optimal mouse response.
I never said I'd set the cap to 200 - I've set the refresh rate at 60, and the limit at 59.9 as per guidelines from elsewhere... I've tried 60, 62, 100... nothing seems to work.. Same problem on my friends new pc so it's not just me :(
I never said you did, I just was giving an example. What servers do you play on? Try mutate ace highperftoggle in console if the server supports ace. Also try lowering your netspeed. 20000 feels terrible to me if the server doesn't have zp/nn on it, 11000 is a good option for reg servers.
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

Do you people use wireless ones?

I never had this issue on my own systems, but they all had wired infrared mice.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

heliumcat wrote:Do you people use wireless ones?

I never had this issue on my own systems, but they all had wired infrared mice.
Good idea ...I had once problems (lags) with a wireless mouse.
That's why I'm always opt for wired peripheral equipment.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Triple buffering may help in GL mode.
However if you don't want tearing then you need to limit the game FPS lower than the screen Hz, not push the value upwards.
DVD quality film is usually between 25 to 30 FPS, so anything above is a bonus. Try from 50 to 57 FPS @ 60Hz

My main monitor will run at 140Hz, because I still opt for a CRT.... because I am a gamer, and have the flat-screen as number 2 :wink:
Many modern flat screens will now offer other speeds. If your monitor can, try it at 75Hz speed via Windows or the CCC bloatware.
Check to see your monitor is not listed as "Generic monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor".
Plug n pray only sees standard resolutions and timings, and many people are missing bigger screen sizes and faster speeds, because they never used the inf files from the manufactures site.
The inf file (and ICM colour profile) from the site, takes my CRT monitor from 100Hz to 140, and gives it a whole bunch of extra resolutions, and cranks my maximum size to a point I can't read anything !
The LCD monitor only got 1 extra speed and no extra resolutions (better than nothing).

Locking-down the CPU speed solves a different issue, where the game stutters and plays at random speeds.
That can be avoided by having the CPU locked at high speed or busy during installation. After then you can let the Cool n Quiet do it's thing without upsetting UT.

You may find the RadeonPro tool as useful as I do. It has a few other helpful tweaking options ATI don't give you.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5572
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Shouldn't need a high DPI for UT. Even on a massive projector screen I'd set the resolution and DPI low. I'm throwing this out there as a possible cause of your mouse lag/screen tearing issue. Although, that comes down to your monitor size. And then if it's a large (high res) you'll have to check how capable that GPU is to handle a the resolution output. The rest of the computer does a lot of the processing in UT, you should be able to test this by lowering the res. Lowering hz, checking on GPU temperatures etc. On a side-note, do others use Windows 8.1?... maybe there's more to that.
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

billybill wrote:Shouldn't need a high DPI for UT. Even on a massive projector screen I'd set the resolution and DPI low. I'm throwing this out there as a possible cause of your mouse lag/screen tearing issue. Although, that comes down to your monitor size. And then if it's a large (high res) you'll have to check how capable that GPU is to handle a the resolution output. The rest of the computer does a lot of the processing in UT, you should be able to test this by lowering the res. Lowering hz, checking on GPU temperatures etc. On a side-note, do others use Windows 8.1?... maybe there's more to that.
Windows 8.1 never caused any problems here what concerns UT99, especially not mouse related.

Neither did it in UT2004.

Perhaps it has to do with GPU/CPU performance settings?

I set them insanely low to prevent overheating issues, CPU is even set back to 1% of it's total capacity here, works wonders.

Renderer is always set to OpenGL, VSync is always turned on in all areas (CPU,GPU,games...) aswell as Triple Buffering.