Unreal on Win 7???

Discussions about UT99
keeferzjr
Novice

Unreal on Win 7???

Post by keeferzjr »

I have followed the tutorial on how to get Unreal GOTY to run on Windows 7 but to no avail. It will not start. I have tried Open GL and Direct X and neither will allow it to start. I get the error box immediately. I have attached the error message. Anyone know what I need to do? I'm having Unreal withdrawal pains here...
unreal error.PNG
unreal error.PNG (58.98 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
UT99.org

Re: Unreal on Win 7???

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:FWaveModInfo, that looks like an audio error. Try changing the audio driver. In UT you can get do this by typing PREFERENCES in the console. I'm not sure about Unreal. If you cannot open the game you might have to edit the Unreal.ini manually to change this. I don't have a copy of Unreal on this PC so sorry I cannot help you much further. OldUnreal.com has some experimental audio drivers you could replace your current one with if you want to try that

Oh you say Unreal GOTY? That would have to be UT right? I'm not sure FMOD is a default audio driver, maybe try something like Galaxy?

Can someone explain to me why doublekill sound would be played on the Entry map? There's the possibility one of these two files is corrupted too of course
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

www.oldunreal.com would be indeed a better place to ask your specific question. We are more a UT forum.
But one general question ...did you install the game as admin?
keeferzjr
Novice

Post by keeferzjr »

I didn't know there was a difference between....whatever, it's Unreal Tournament Game of the Year. I thought that was plain. The thing that is baffling to me is that this has always run for me before but I had a nasty virus and had to format my hard drive and now I can't get this to run. Nothing has changed other than a fresh windows install. The same hardware, sound, video etc. Same drivers. Yes, I did install as admin but I never did that before but I tried it anyway to no avail. And WTF is wrong with posting a PNG file? Picky aren't we?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

keeferzjr wrote:And WTF is wrong with posting a PNG file? Picky aren't we?
Hm? I don't get it, PNG is totally fine. :noidea
Who said something against it?
keeferzjr wrote:The thing that is baffling to me is that this has always run for me before but I had a nasty virus and had to format my hard drive and now I can't get this to run.
You used always win7 ?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

From reading the error message, this is obviously an audio problem. Try changing the sound driver. This should have nothing to do with hardware and probably happens to be a purely driver-induced issue.
You must construct additional pylons.
keeferzjr
Novice

Post by keeferzjr »

Yes, I have always used Win 7 and I don't understand why the audio driver would be any different than it was before. I don't have a separate audio card. I am just using the Intel on board audio. It has it's own driver and is the same as it has always been.

Keefer
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

This is a really strange error...
Did you re install it?
And what tutorial did you use?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Check your Announcer package. It seems the game has trouble loading it, specifically the Doublekill sound... Maybe this one package is damaged. Replace it by a new one and see if that helps.
You must construct additional pylons.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK, some of the confusion here is because of you calling Unreal Tournament, Unreal.
They are 2 different games. We are talking about UT here.
As for PNGs, I use them all the time here, so not sure why it didn't work.

OK. You have reinstalled Windows.
Did you install the motherboard chipset driver as well as graphics and sound ?
Actually, are you using the original intel drivers included with Windows, or did you get it from the PC maker, or intel site ?

See this thread for the newer audio renderers http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4569
If you are having problems, try the SwFmod renderer. This "should" work on almost anything.

NOTE: Never install old U1 engine games in the Programs Folder. Modern Windows security plays havoc with accessing files.
During install, make sure the CPU is busy or locked at max speed, or you will have speed issues during play.
When launching the installer, make sure you right-click and run as admin, or sometimes Windows security blocks the installation of some files.

BTW. What is your choice of AV ?
I hope you have not just put the same one that did not protect you back in.