Limitations of Unreal Engine

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
jakoozie
Novice

Re: Limitations of Unreal Engine

Post by jakoozie »

If I'm not wrong I have the gog version and my UEd version is 2.0.
Where I can see the color depth on windows?
Thanks!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You need a picture editor like Gimp or Photoshop ...or a picture viewer like IrfanView.
http://www.irfanview.de/ it can edit pictures as well but not as good as PS or Gimp.
jakoozie
Novice

Post by jakoozie »

Thank you, everything is working!
My last question, is possible to put standalone mod working on Mac/Linux?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Any texture you import in UnrealEd will be automatically converted to the normal UnrealEd requirements of 8-bits palletted. Unless you need to have precise control on your palette, you can quicjly import textures without too much worry.

Unreal Tournament works on Mac and Linux, so mods should work just like on Windows. However, "standalone" mods do not really exist, as mods always require you to have the game already install, which is quite the opposite of "standalone".
You must construct additional pylons.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You cannot update UT99 UEd to 2.1, but if you also have Unreal, the v227 patch upgrades UEd with new features.
There is a community-made standalone UT UEd, but it is just pre-tweaked and installed with extra brush-builders.

If you have not manually updated or changed any config options, then you have the basic original, with the old renders.
When you see a mess of colour and stripes, it usually means you are trying to use hi-res or S3TC compressed textures.
S3TC needs to be enabled in your renderer config (open the advanced options window in UEd).
See the site tweaking tutorial for help.
Hi-res textures can only be displayed with new renderers.
Again the site tutorial will help
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373

What do you mean by "Standalone" ?
A "standalone" is something that does not require that people have the original game, as it contains the engine to make it "standalone".
A "total-mod" is a mod/gametype that is self-contained, but requires that you have the original game.

The only problem with distribution for Linux is the lack of UMOD installer. As long as you just put all the files in folders and provide instructions in your distro, there is no problem.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

If you're also interested in this sort of information. Vertex Meshes are limited to 65535 faces, 65535 animation frames and 16383 vertices.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~