THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by FraGnBraG »

Chamberly wrote:... I might wanna take a peek looking at other ... .
why don't you try this: go get some 300k mappacks (i have 3 of them for download on my website) and unpack the maps into a folder)
open some of these maps in ued and look at them in 3d dynamic or portal view. the wireframe or 2d views will be less useful since many of the maps will have no brushes in them, however you can still see what was done quite easily.

Now those are 300K maps, so 512k just means you can add a bit more stuff in a map this size. The lesson here is that a layout is a layout - the file size comes from how many brushes/lights/actors etc you use to make that layout...

you might also get some good theme ideas too, since all these mappers were forced to use the standard packs as well :D

I also find that for contests it is usually better just to get one good feature (or game play situation) and build your map around that - just keep it simple and focused and fun and don't think and fuss too much - it's only 512k dammit - Each map is going to get played, at least a few times, so if you're lucky and your idea is good then it will stick around. If the map sucks, well, there should be plenty of other maps to play. That's why you should try and make a few maps if you can... one might suck, but then another might be the winner - don't put all your ideas in one map - you never know :D

Good luck
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Another thing we found out to save a few bytes was to leave the builder brush like 1 by 1 by 1 everything mattered in the 300k.

EDIT again, aaaaaaaarg

I Left it as a 8 by 8 sheet, you all would have to reconfirm this but I am pretty sure it saved a few bytes, but heck you guys got 512k to play with, seems like cheating now :lol2:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

hmm okay this will be 1st time i participate in contest. (there is a point this time because prize exists thanks carbon :rock: )

I will start mapping tonight. All I have to do is use the same mapping principles I always used in all my maps, except the exact opposite. Instead of trying to make dl as big as possible I will just reverse the goal this time :mrgreen:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Shame you miss the point of this competition then KingJosh :(
The prize is simply the prize.
The point is actually to learn and improve as a mapper, while having some fun.
The point is also to make fun maps.

Indeed young Jedi apprentice, perhaps this particular competition may be your test in self restraint.
This is your gnarled old tree-stump in the swamps of Dagobah.
Though you may actually need your light-sabre to do a bit of pruning :mrgreen:
However remember, everything you learn here, can be put into practice making a massive map not lag as much :tu:
The bigger the map is, the more important you learn to optimise at a small scale.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:Another thing we found out to save a few bytes was to leave the builder brush like 1 by 1 by 1 everything mattered in the 300k.
Wouldn't intersecting the brush in the void (removing it completely, actually reducing it to a songle vertex) be even more efficient?
You must construct additional pylons.
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

Guys, I'd really like to join, but it's impossible for me these days to find the time to even open UEd. If you don't really mind, I might make one map or two (in the long future) taking the [512k] tag and logo, but it'd be pointless to consider it part of the competition (maybe just an extension of the pack?) and it'd be also pointless for you to extend the competition's ending for someone who barely has time. Or maybe I'll just skip to another future UT99.org contest.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:Another thing we found out to save a few bytes was to leave the builder brush like 1 by 1 by 1 everything mattered in the 300k.
Wouldn't intersecting the brush in the void (removing it completely, actually reducing it to a songle vertex) be even more efficient?
LoL, I guess that's another reason for people to try and make one of these. Even MORE ideas to shrink it even more.
I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens, even if it was just 2 bytes, less is less :!:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

I've started a couple of interesting rooms, I'll see if I can link them as a coherent map. I'll be mapping some domination.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This weekend I'll get the UnrealTournament.info server set up and running (read the small announcement I'm about to make). I can dedicate a column to running only maps for this contest if you want to have a set place to play these maps as they are created or use it for playtesting to do your final tweaking. It's a hosted server with a fast redirect that's already up, I just haven't had time to get to configured just yet.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

CTF-512k-Kaylon : Kaylon Caves.

Architecture and lightning is done. And size right now is 475 KB. Its is a very small map. Bot Pathing and adding weapons and Logo are remaining. Good for 4 Players.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Got a working layout, a bit under 300k, will clean up the brushwork then start "decoration" (which will mostly be texturing). Should be a nice DOM for 6-12 players, so it should work with 4 teams.

jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

CTF-512k-Ratchet
Shot0054.jpg
Shot0055.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

@Jay2 - welcome :tu: good to see new mappers joining in :)

@rocky - sweet! reminds me a bit of a certain 300K cave map i made a while back, lol! remember you can raise your level zonelight to save on a few lights you'd use for general illumination - if you color it right it wil blend nicely with your crystal lights and increase visibility a bit (so not too dark in there)

@hellkeeper - awesome layout - can't wait to get in there ;)

I'm almost done with mine - streamlined the thing a bit and added more warpzones - i'm at 451K with no screenshot ...

if the screenshot fits then i'll post it :D
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow, 512 should lend to a good pile of NEW maps, it's very cool to see how each person ends up making really different things. I think the size limit makes you think, without ,thinking, ending up with a large array of things besides the old, gameplay vs looks, debates.

And even a server !! :rock:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@jay2
'put you on the list.

@All
Very nice concepts/WIPs... this will be an awesome map-pack.

@Jack
Wow ...thanks for the offer. We will definitely use it.