THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

papercoffee wrote:Bot pathing is in the rules.

@ DeathMask
Ok.
So ...you are on the list?
Yes. You can count me in, now. I'll give my best.
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see it.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

UnrealGecko wrote:@Rocky, your map seems to use an Unreal1 music file, and I just didn't check if you MyLeveled it or I played with the umx. :what:

Played all the current submisions, should I write some feedback about them? 8)
I am certainly interested!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nice catches here.
Don't be afraid to point out file-name clashes and odd files like the bonus textures and Unreal music.
We all probably have very messy installations by now and a few files will slip through (they always do), so we need to watch each-others backs.
Everything in the 4 bonus-packs and CD 2 is usable

Point taken about humans being confused with Ratchet. I would myself expect it to be an update/sequel to the original.
The file name is different enough and as long as the level text is clear, I am happy to live with it.
All maps and names can be considered Beta until official release, so feel free to tweak until then.

BTW. If anyone is using the Chaos resources, I can supply a new secret promo poster featuring the proxy. It is in Warhol style pop-art and is already low colour 8)
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

This is my submission. The file size is exactly 512KB. I don't speak spanish (wish I did though...some of these local latinas are hot as **** :mrgreen: :rock: ) but I named my map Ciudad because this is an urban city themed map and 'ciudad' translates to 'city' in english. The map is kinda small and ideal player count is 2-4. I used pathlogic for the bot pathing. The map name is DM-512K-KJ-Ciudad. The poly count is 647 and the node count is 1342, light count is 49. Zip of map is attached below.

Hope yall enjoy :highfive: :tu:
DM-512K-KJ-Ciudad.zip
(147.25 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Shot0005.jpg
Shot0004.jpg
Shot0003.jpg
Shot0002.jpg
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

25% done, SS taken with S3TC textures on which make the planet look way better.
Still, visuals won't be what will make this map what it's intended to be...
Attachments
IonPreview.jpg
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

UnrealGecko wrote:@Rocky, your map seems to use an Unreal1 music file, and I just didn't check if you MyLeveled it or I played with the umx. :what:

Yes please.
KingJosh wrote: The poly count is 647 and the node count is 1342, light count is 49. Zip of map is attached below.
How do I find this information.
Higor wrote:25% done, SS taken with S3TC textures on which make the planet look way better.
Still, visuals won't be what will make this map what it's intended to be...
Lol Higor is going all out.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Looking good you guys :rock:

I shoulda known KJ would do an urban - GJ :D I also have a map that's urban, hopefully it's not quite he same but it 's a rooftop CTF ... layout is good for 8-12 but I'm having a helluva time keeping the size down :/ It's around 540K right now, with the screenshot, contest graphic and brushes included, so i figure i have a bit of K i can still add in ... needs lights and better textures - the unlit buildings are making me crazy :P

Anyways, a another night or two maybe ...
CTF-512K-FNB-2 .jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Cheeses!! Now I really have to start my first map ... working on a second map already FnB !?!
Gaaaaah ...you will overflow this pack!!!

:mrgreen:
I hope this will be the best map pack with the highest map count ever ... keep going guys!
I'm booking the name DM-512k-theVoid.
Concept is ready ...maybe can someone direct me to a tutorial for a moving skyzone?
I need it constantly rotating.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:Cheeses!! Now I really have to start my first map ... working on a second map already FnB !?!
Gaaaaah ...you will overflow this pack!!!

:mrgreen:
I hope this will be the best map pack with the highest map count ever ... keep going guys!
I'm booking the name DM-512k-theVoid.
Concept is ready ...maybe can someone direct me to a tutorial for a moving skyzone?
I need it constantly rotating.
Just set the skyzone movable, and in movement one of those two, never know what is is supposed to be, in movement., not sure wich one, and then set physics to rotation, set Yaw for sideways rotation, I think, I did it on a sphere skyzone for one of my quake maps, it made the sky clouds move like in real time instaed of some surface panning. looked good too.
this map
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... RE-CITADEL

Dang it, it's NOT that map, I was pretty damn sure I did that in that one, sorry. :oops:

But it's still easy to do, just make the skyzone actor rotate, the same as you would make any other actor rotate.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Is there a way to do an official admin-locked release thread for the maps as they get submitted? The thread is already six pages and still has a way to go. Having a stand-alone thread that is maps-only would make getting and testing way easier.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Alrighty then:
DOM-512k-DropZone by FraGnBraG
Needs a bit low-gravity mixed in I think, as constant fall damage occurs in this one. The huge coronas are also a bit distracting, but other than that, this map looks great!

CTF-512k-Kaylon by Rocky
A Spammy little CTF with heavy artillery for more spammy goodness, my favourite out of 4 so far (didn't try KingJosh's map yet). Yes, it's a bit dark, but I got used to it after playing about 500 other dark maps :D

CTF-512K-Isotope42 by memsys
The layout is good (though I kept coming to the sniper posts) and the visuals ok, but the bots weren't very interested in bringing back the flags to the other teams bases :( also you fooled me by putting a toxic-looking water texture for non-toxic water grrrr...

CTF-512k-Rachet by Jay
Needs a bit more work, unfortunatly. There's some completely obvious misaligned textures on the upper floor, the jumppads aren't very distinctive (kept going on them without noticing that they were there). Still need to play a bit more as my pc crashed (blue screen) during this maps testing.

I reserve the name ...-512k-Actas :D
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Ya I used a Unreal1 music file. But I guess this music comes with UT by default right?? Not sure.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Rocky wrote:
Ya I used a Unreal1 music file. But I guess this music comes with UT by default right?? Not sure.
Unfortunatly, the answer is negative, please re-upload with either the music file included (which will count to the 512k limit), or edit the map that it would use one of UT's umx files.
Here's a list of umx files that came with UT:
http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=146
JackGriffin wrote:Is there a way to do an official admin-locked release thread for the maps as they get submitted? The thread is already six pages and still has a way to go. Having a stand-alone thread that is maps-only would make getting and testing way easier.
Me thinks, that's a good idea :tu:
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Wow...looking good guys. Seems like this contest has a lot of momentum....exciting stuff, but makes me feel bad I only have 1 prize! A lot of great maps in this competition, I think.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

UnrealGecko wrote:CTF-512K-Isotope42 by memsys
The layout is good (though I kept coming to the sniper posts) and the visuals ok, but the bots weren't very interested in bringing back the flags to the other teams bases :( also you fooled me by putting a toxic-looking water texture for non-toxic water grrrr...
Haha, the bots are shit ATM because the pathing is utter minimum for the bots to function somewhat. Somewhat being the key word here :lol: .

I discovered a little hack that might allow me to save a good amount of KBs, I will have to rework most of the level but the savings might be enough to improve on pathing!