Fixing and cleaning a spacebar

Discussions about UT99
'Zac
Experienced
Personal rank: Who knows.

Fixing and cleaning a spacebar

Post by 'Zac »

Hello, long time no see UT99!
I'm having a issue with my keyboard, it's a 2 year old ENGAGE Wired Multimedia Keyboard and I LOVE this keyboard! However, there is small and very annoying problem with it...the spacebar gets stuck!I've taken it out and cleaned it and everything, but the spacebar still seem's to be very ' low ' or pressed. The slightest touch to it can cause a space or jump, which makes gaming a bit difficult and typing a horrible pain sometimes, but I've gotten a bit used to it.
When I lift up the spacebar in the hole that contains the ' button press mechanism ' there's this rubbery green thing that goes up and down with the piece underneath the actual spacebar piece that presses down on it. The problem with that is that it's sideways and is stuck fartherdown, making the spacebar be farther down and making it easier to press. Here's some pictures...
Thing's I've tried...
-Dealing with it
-Using a pencil to try and move it into place
-Cleaning the underside of the spacebar
Attachments
The Green thing down there is lopsided
The Green thing down there is lopsided
Prophunt for UT99!!!
Github
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Fixing and cleaning a spacebar

Post by papercoffee »

This is not really UT related, isn't it? :lol2:
I'll move it to off-topic.

but as it looks is the mechanism which pushes the space-bar back defect ...maybe material fatigue?
You can't avoid to dismantle the keyboard and replace this part ...or just buy a new one.
I recommend every normal keyboard without soft-touch keys ...just because I hate this soft non-feedback buttons.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you take it apart a little further you'll get to a plastic sheet that has all these rubber cups on it. Once you isolate it you can look on the underside for any rips or tears you can't see. Also you can take your keyboard with you into a very hot shower and stick it under the showerhead. Don't use soap, it will leave residue. Shake the water out and let it dry in the sun COMPLETELY before you plug it back in.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Not an expert, and Dr. Flay can whack me with a rolled up newspaper if this idea is b*******, but is it maybe possible to replace that green rubbery thing with a key's that you use extremely rarely (like put the F7's rubbery thing in it's place)? :what:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You can't (AFAIK). The rubber cup part is a single piece that covers the entire keyboard.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I never clean my keyboard. Just swap it for a new one as soon as I see anything moving around in-between/underneath the keys.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

As someone who has taken apart a fair share of keyboards (and who might be a bit of a keyboard snob/enthusiast/nut :ironic: ) It sounds like the following problem.

One side (left or right) sits a good bit higher then the other side and or does not work properly when hit off center, this would indicate that the stabiliser wire under the key is seated incorrectly or is missing. This could also be the cause of the key sitting too low overall and not work properly.
that metal wire should clip into some kind of holding tabs on both sides.

It could also be that the rubber done is damaged/worn out, the only way to confirm this is taking apart the entire keyboard and give the spacebar dome a good look n feel and compare it to another dome that you know works like it should. If you see damage or the dome feels a good bit different from another dome the thing is busted and it's time to replace that keyboard.