Random UTness

Discussions about UT99
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Random UTness

Post by Carbon »

Some things that interest me...

My run count is at 977. Will it reset or keep going past 1000?

I finally fixed the tearing/flickering in both UT and Unreal. Swapinterval needs to be set to 1 (vsync on). Despite my efforts, this is the way it must be. No mouse lag though.

Directinput=true is more precise when aiming, but sluggish. Needs some GUI mouse speed massaging.

DecalStay mod has some problem: Warning: Failed to load 'DecalStay': Can't find Function in file 'Function Engine.Decal.BeginPlay'. Not sure.

MaxDetail has no visible effect past 3.

UT loads in 1.4 seconds.

I have been using the same UT install since 2000. I copied the folder over to each new system I built since then. UT has been installed on every system since it came out. I bought it 3 days after it arrived in stores.

~ Fin. ~
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Random UTness

Post by papercoffee »

This thread is not off-topic ;)

Moved!
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

My run count is 6750.

With Vsync enabled you get no mouse lag? I know triple buffering helps with it, but it still doesn't feel as good with Vsync disabled.

You can adjust the gui mouse speed under UT.ini [UTMenu.UTConsole] > MouseScale. (incase you want it slower than the slider allows in game)

Some more stuff with aiming that you could try is adjusting
MouseX=Axis aMouseX Speed=6.0
MouseY=Axis aMouseY Speed=6.0

to both 3.0 or 1.0. Supposedly this is the sensitivity multiplier and lower is more accurate because of less calculation?
You will have to adjust your sensitivity in game, but it might be worth it.
MouseSmoothThreshold setting this to a value of 0(it's in user.ini). I don't know if this setting makes a difference though.

The great thing about Directinput is it doesn't rely on pointer speed in Windows. So you could use a 1800 dpi mouse with a 4/11 slider in windows and you will still get max precision in game. Whereas without Dinput 4/11 in windows would give you something like 450 dpi in game. It's like a poverty version of raw input. Downside is that when you alt+tab you get the double crosshair bug. Personally I think using a acceleration fix and Directinput off feels best.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

6750....that's a lot of fragging. :) Maybe my count was reset at some point? Not sure, but I have carried this same install from system to system for over 13 years now at least (I just move the folder onto each new system I build and have done since 2000) and I am sure it should be higher.

As for the VSync thing: I would prefer it off, for sure. It does cause some stutter on the CityMap and in the flyby of Unreal, but as I said, flickering lights are just too weird with it off. Not so bad in UT. Anyhow, there is more tweaking to do on that front; mouse speeds, etc. I will however leave directinput on.

OpenAL trumps Galaxy sound. I have been doing some fooling around with Galaxy, OpenAL and FMOD. OpenAL seems to be the best for me.

Interestingly, using 24x AA supersampling is fine in UT, but causes some frame rate issues in Unreal. I am using the extreme end textures in Unreal, while the only ones available for UT are 'high end'; I guess 24x is too much with the extreme textures for Unreal. 12x then for Unreal.

It seems one of the first mods I installed (according to the 'date modified' in my UT folder) was 'Boing Boing' on 9/26 1999. From "Blues News dated Sept.27, 1999: "Finally, Unreal Universe has a new UT Demo mutator called "boing boing" that gives all the players permanent anti-gravity boots. "

Also, it is kinda cool to go back and read Blues News (a hip site at the time) from around UT's release.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Blues News...that's a real blast from the past! I haven't thought about that site in a very long time. Send me the decalstay mod and I'll find out the problem.
So long, and thanks for all the fish