RealTek and UT99 sound

Discussions about UT99
UTplayer1
Novice

RealTek and UT99 sound

Post by UTplayer1 »

Hi.

I just got a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit (realtek sound onboard the ASUS MB). Prior to that, I had Vista 32 bit (Creative sound card). Prior to that, I had Windows XP (Creative sound card).

UT99 always worked well with my past 2 computers. 3D surround sound was great. I could hear rockets going past to the right/left, enemies behind, everything.

With this new computer, I get poor 3d sound positioning. I have tried realtek's 3d soundback, but there is no difference. I have tried fooling with the 2 options in UT99, Hardware sound and Surround sound, but it really doesn't help.

With my Vista computer, I used Creative's Alchemy.

Has anyone here had any luck with Realtek 3d Soundback restoring the 3d sound effects? Besides this problem, UT99 works great, although I had to move UT99 to my Western Digital hard drive because it was not opening correctly on my Solid State drive. I guess it was opening too fast on the SSD.

I wonder if I will just have to purchase another Creative sound card to get UT99 back to sounding great.
rsbloom44
Experienced

Re: RealTek and UT99 sound

Post by rsbloom44 »

You could try FMOD or ALAudio.
http://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html

I haven't used them in awhile, but ALAudio sounded really great with my Asus Xonar Essence.
UTplayer1
Novice

Post by UTplayer1 »

rsbloom44 wrote:You could try FMOD or ALAudio.

I haven't used them in awhile, but ALAudio sounded really great with my Asus Xonar Essence.

Ok, I've downloaded the experimental beta 7z file. Is this the latest version? The date on the files seems far more recent than the zips.

I'd like something where I can just drop the files into the System directory and then mess with the ini. I hope I can do that with this beta file.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

UTplayer1 wrote:
rsbloom44 wrote:You could try FMOD or ALAudio.

Ok, I've downloaded the experimental beta 7z file. Is this the latest version? The date on the files seems far more recent than the zips.

I'd like something where I can just drop the files into the System directory and then mess with the ini. I hope I can do that with this beta file.
Yep...that's all you can do with it. No executables in there.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:OK I just want to make sure you know what you're talking about. The hardware 3d sound that you see a checkbox in the options for is actual 5.1 surround sound, that means you have two speakers behind and three in front and all are on different channels. Hearing sounds from the right to the left is two channels and it sounds like this is what you are looking for. So if I've understood correctly, unchecking that box should give you what you want
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have had mixed results with "3D Soundback"

1st, make sure you set it to use Vista SP1 compatibility.
Then in the GUI you must point it to the programs that need support.
3dSoundback.jpg
3dSoundback.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Personally I find that the alternative SwFmod is more reliable on my Win7 Realtek combo.
If the game should crash while using the AL renderer, you often have to reboot to get it back on :x
It should detect what channels are set in Windows, so I think the only SwFmod setting I changed was to enable sound occlusions (very very cool).

:!: Note: make sure you disable the "Speaker Fill" option in the Realtek GUI
UTplayer1
Novice

Post by UTplayer1 »

UTplayer1 wrote:Hi.

I just got a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit (realtek sound onboard the ASUS MB). Prior to that, I had Vista 32 bit (Creative sound card). Prior to that, I had Windows XP (Creative sound card).

UT99 always worked well with my past 2 computers. 3D surround sound was great. I could hear rockets going past to the right/left, enemies behind, everything.

With this new computer, I get poor 3d sound positioning. I have tried realtek's 3d soundback, but there is no difference. I have tried fooling with the 2 options in UT99, Hardware sound and Surround sound, but it really doesn't help.

With my Vista computer, I used Creative's Alchemy.

Has anyone here had any luck with Realtek 3d Soundback restoring the 3d sound effects? Besides this problem, UT99 works great, although I had to move UT99 to my Western Digital hard drive because it was not opening correctly on my Solid State drive. I guess it was opening too fast on the SSD.

I wonder if I will just have to purchase another Creative sound card to get UT99 back to sounding great.
Update ... I could not get any of the 3rd party UT99 sound drivers to work, and 3d sound back was not doing it, so I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium on Amazon. Yes, they still make them apparently.

Got my old MIDI back. Midis from the 90's like Final Fantasy 7 now sound like they should.

Got my old UT99 surround sound back. Had to install the latest Alchemy. That did the trick.

Those are the only two reasons why I bought the card. I've been playing UT99 since 2000. I play it just about every other day. It's always fun because I added 3rd party bots and created a sound pack myself that includes screams from DOOM for the male voices. They're hilarious and have made the game replayable for over a decade.

UT99 forever!