UT causes secondary HDD to spin?

Discussions about UT99
rsbloom44
Experienced

UT causes secondary HDD to spin?

Post by rsbloom44 »

I can't figure this out, I have UT installed on my C: drive (It's a SSD). Sometimes, not all the time, it takes some time for UT to actually launch..it waits until my secondary hard drive spins up then it starts. I can't figure out what on earth is causing the secondary HDD to startup. UT must be looking for a file on it or something? :noidea
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: UT causes secondary HDD to spin?

Post by Chamberly »

Have you tried disconnecting the 2nd/HDD connection? Usually the OS will do something to the 2nd HD for information purposes or allow you to search on it, etc.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Check your installer path (cdpath), maybe UT wants to find something there.
You find it in your ut.ini in the Engine.Engine section.

[Engine.Engine]
CdPath=F:\Spiele\UnrealTournament\UT99-G.O.T.Y-ORIGINAL

The path is/was needed for installing the bonuspacks. You can just set it to the path of your install.
but... Why the hell do you use your ssd for Urneal Tournament? There is no need for it, as long your hdd isn't slower then a hdd from 1990 ... :D

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

noccer wrote: but... Why the hell do you use your ssd for Urneal Tournament? There is no need for it, as long your hdd isn't slower then a hdd from 1990 ... :D
My 7200RPM HDD from 2007 still takes like 10 seconds to load UT the first time, for some reason UT takes a long time while other games are usually faster. And then there's also ACE, that thing loads for ~10 seconds the first time you join a server and lags the hell out of your machine - so even for UT99, SSDs are still useful!
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Wow....10 seconds. Who has that kind of time?! ;)

Any program will take longer to load if the drive has spun down; it depends on your power saving settings. If the drive is spinning, UT loads for me in a few seconds on a 1TB HDD from 2012.

IMO, SSDs are just hitting the sweet spot with size, price and reliability where I would use one as my game drive. With NVMe drives on the horizon, I expect standard SSDs to drop in price significantly. And look downright slow.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Yeah, 10 seconds, that is tooooooooo much
I believe, you must be this guy

[youtube]M8pR1rZZHEs[/youtube]

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Already checked the cd path. Ah well.. I'll do more research later, i'll see if process monitor can see what UT is looking for in the other drive. My UT is less than 2gb so it's not really taking much space on my ssd. I have another install with s3tc and other mods that I have on my other drive. Overall I would definitely recommend a ssd for UT!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Tbh, 10 seconds take quite a bit of long time for UT to start up for me. Mine usually launch and already started within 3-5 seconds (depending on graphic render I'm using, OpenGL about 4-5, D3d9 about 3-4.) I use a regular HDD, no SDD.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?