Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Unreal 2: The Re-Awakening

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

FraGnBraG wrote:haha - i don't have U2 for PC any more, but i do have it for XBOX :) i even have unreal championship (bad) and unreal championship 2 (good) for XBOX...

too bad can't play them on Xbox360, and of course i'm not interested enough to hook up the old XBOX so i guess it's just memories now, oh well

looking at the U2 sleave cover, it mentions "spectacular vehicular carnage" so it must have had vehicles -

sorry then - i guess i completely forgot about that - i know ut2003 had no vehicles ...
The Unreal 2 for Xbox had co-op mode and XMP already in it. Rumors went that many of the xmp maps got their holes patched etc. I never got acess to the u2 xbox disc but I downloaded the system files a while ago and coud load them in the editor. Some scripts are changed for the co-op mode which is not actually a gametype on its own. But I never got the ".dll" files with that so the regular unreal2 couldn't be run on that, on the regular .u files. They were compatible with the ued3 though, most of them. Maybe a co-op mod can be made given all this.

Btw as for Red_Fist's question. You could make players respawn by playing it in dm or pseudo dm, the gametypes are there after all.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

The co-op for Xbox Unreal 2 would have been okay if not for how the monsters animated at half the frame rate as everything else. They feel so out of place; it's almost like fighting Doom's monsters in Unreal. I copied every co-op related script I could find from the Xbox version to the PC version, and I didn't have any luck with getting co-op to work. I wish I could understand what's responsible for getting the other player to spawn and be controlled, because I think that's the only thing standing in the way of splitscreen co-op for the PC (hopefully without the terrible animation problems).

U2XMP can only be accessed through Xbox Live, so it's impossible to see if the maps are fixed. It's technically its own separate game, but it's on the same disc as Unreal 2.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

What little I know of U2's XMP is this · http://tinyurl.com/pbwq97o

It says it didn't get fully developed due to Legend up and dying.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

AlCapowned wrote:The co-op for Xbox Unreal 2 would have been okay if not for how the monsters animated at half the frame rate as everything else. They feel so out of place; it's almost like fighting Doom's monsters in Unreal. I copied every co-op related script I could find from the Xbox version to the PC version, and I didn't have any luck with getting co-op to work. I wish I could understand what's responsible for getting the other player to spawn and be controlled, because I think that's the only thing standing in the way of splitscreen co-op for the PC (hopefully without the terrible animation problems).

U2XMP can only be accessed through Xbox Live, so it's impossible to see if the maps are fixed. It's technically its own separate game, but it's on the same disc as Unreal 2.
Did you get the xbox .dll files too or not? Because I didnt have them and could only run the editor with the scripts. I think it's more feasible or the pc version to adapt those co-op scripts into a real coop game and make mutator to fix the maps. The only problem that could be there is that the network play could have been disabled, but it needs to be tested with two players, have anyone tested it in the plain dm? Having splitscreen for regular unreal 2 is nonsense. The thing about the u2xmp maps being fixed further(the ones that didnt get update in the legend's patch) I heard from some u2xmp "old-timers" during the time when I often played u2xmp. They said that whatever maps didnt get an update in the u2xmp patch actually got update and got their holes fixe in the xbox version, making it impossible to go at the known spots outside of the map etc.
AlCapowned
Experienced

Post by AlCapowned »

I'm not sure if the Xbox uses dll files at all. I haven't found any for Unreal 2, anyway. I think Unreal 2's network play is completely broken, so that not even one person can host and join their own server.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I am sure I could host a server on my own. I do recall it somehow after setting it up carefuly. The question is if other player can join in. Either way it should be possible to hack/alter this to allow for netplay in that case. Probably lots of work but if someone really made his time...more impossible things have been done for the more popular games of the series, so why not?
AlCapowned
Experienced

Post by AlCapowned »

I must not have done it properly then. I didn't mess around with many settings, from what I can remember. I wonder if any of the files from the E3 alpha would help.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I think the E3 alpha files are way too obsolete and different to be any useful. I think more luck would be looking into the other similar version engine files. In fact I might know of a solution if the ipdrv really doesnt work but all it needs is a decent coder after that. Nephthys for Unreal was done just having acess to public headers and of Unreal the ipdrv ones werent even released so I can assume she took a clear look at the ones that were released, like deus ex and examined the unreal funcionality properly. Nephthys was much more difficult job in this sense and besides there are headers/source for other ue2 game out there. It could really be made to work. The problem is finding someone who is interested enough to make this for this old and not very popular game.

I'm sure Zora would do it without much hassle for example. Whether she'd be willing to is another question.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Jumpstarting my thread!

U2's music files are .ogg, apparently. I just was going over a list of them · http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_ ... ning#Music

Seems a lot weren't used.

Is it possible to convert those to .umx for ut99?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Of course its possible, first convert to .wav and then to tracker file :)
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

EvilGrins wrote:Jumpstarting my thread!

U2's music files are .ogg, apparently. I just was going over a list of them · http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_ ... ning#Music

Seems a lot weren't used.

Is it possible to convert those to .umx for ut99?
Unfortunately, only part of them are .ogg files and most of them are unused.

A number of them (and by that I mean all the good ones, including Aledxander Brandon's sulferonf) are .con files and cannot be easily opened.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

How does one know if they are not used ?
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Play the game and see if you hear them.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:Play the game and see if you hear them.
Well I was just thinking maybe they shoved them into music events and not the song(s) for a game level.
Seems difficult to believe that any company would cram files on a game CD that the game don't use. companies are always for the last cent and time factor, for even more money.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:Seems difficult to believe that any company would cram files on a game CD that the game don't use. companies are always for the last cent and time factor, for even more money.
Unreal had Gateway.unr. UT had Organic.umx. UT2003 and 2004 had entire mesh and texture packages. All Unreal games had unused content and Unreal 2 has actually an enormous amount of cut content packed with the game.

There are a number of music used throughout the game, but they have included a great deal of stuff you never hear. What doesn't help is that a lot of songs sound similar, are drowned by the ambient noise or are just so flat you don't remember them. However, some themes are obviously never used, the most obvious one being Unreal2.ogg, which is 1) kickass 2) unused 3) probably intended as a main theme or a victory theme for the ill-fated multiplayer.