Scripting

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Forum|User
Experienced

Scripting

Post by Forum|User »

I'm just want to learn scripting, where start it?
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Scripting

Post by UTPe »

I remember this recent link posted by Sakura about Chimeric coding website:
http://korelabs.us/koregaming/downloads ... orials.htm

I add also other 2 useful docs, hope can help :)
I have other tutorials but at the moment I can not access to my old pc with all UT99 data...

EDIT*** - added more docs...see files

cheers,
Pietro
Attachments
Unreal Hacking.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 368 times
OOLogic.pdf
(46.93 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Mod Authoring for Unreal Tournament.pdf
(111.88 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
UScript_Tutorial.pdf
(478.6 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
UScript Language Reference.pdf
(160.75 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Last edited by UTPe on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Forum|User wrote:I'm just want to learn scripting, where start it?
Uhm ...right here in the Coding forum - Coding, Scripting -=- Useful Tutorial Links!!

@UTPe
Can I add your post to this tutorial thread?
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

papercoffee wrote: @UTPe
Can I add your post to this tutorial thread?
sure, no problem ! :highfive:

EDIT*** - added more docs...see files
Attachments
UnrealScriptLanguageReference_secret.zip
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
UnrealScript_Syntax.zip
(12.59 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
UnrealDevelopmentEnvironment.zip
(365.53 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
udn.epicgames.com.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I spent decades coding and learning more stuff.

It was a waste of time.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote:I spent decades coding and learning more stuff.

It was a waste of time.
:lol2: yeah ... right... I still play around with your "waste of time" ...I mean awesome work.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Programmers are a strange breed.

lel

Started reading the OOLogic pdf.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

MrLoathsome wrote:I spent decades coding and learning more stuff.

It was a waste of time.
Well, I happen to think differently :-)

I've also spend way too much time learning the ins and outs of the Uscript, but if you want to learn coding it is a very good place to begin as loads of tutorials have been written through all the years, and you can still use Google to find lots of help on your way. You are right that the efforts are wtsted on this game, but never the less the things your learn here can be used for quite many other things but UT itself. At least thats what I do now, and with great pleasure :-)
Retired.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

have to agree with TheDane , being able to code (in any language) has GREAT Benefits. Not only in one particular field or Genre ie; UT

imho being able to code in this day and age is one of the BEST things one can learn. Because you now have the ability to build practically anything program-wise and solve problems for other's , be they a Majority (Better as you could make a better wheel then what is available perhaps - metaphorically) or minority (not so bad either - hobbyist , UT etc).

a good example is something like this; http://www.simpleinvoices.org/

you see , it looks cool and works somewhat trickily and really is not as 'Simple' as they make out. However it functions and does a semi-descent job of it.
now , someone with your abilities could come along , download it , install it ... run it .. and find all sorts of bugs and 'What have yous' in it.
then you could create a Patch for it , fixing the minor bug's and weird happenings in it (for a small FEE :) , this is where coding becomes 'Useful' , to be able to
take a pre-existing project or create a new one and build upon it or make something 100 times better :D

now lets say that you only know how to code in UScript.. this is not in any way a disadvantage but rather more Avantagious , because you know 'one' coding system which is Object Orientated and is very similar to other languages out-there!.

for example you could quite easily take to programming in C,C++,JAVA,Perl,HTML,PHP,ASPX,RUBY and learn them all in relatively no time at all;

here is a great resource that I once 'Stumbled Upon' years ago , http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html

forget the name LOL as it is really a pretty cool resource ;)

therefore , not only is coding USEFUL but also PROFITABLE as well as FUN and EDUCATIONAL (All at once)

I Myself have many idea's / concepts and tools which could be built to not only help other's but also sustain a descent living with ,

an example is something very simple , like an APP for a mobile device which Queries 333Networks and Returns a nicely presented , easy to read status of Servers (on Mobiles , Tablets).

^This APP could then be ported East and West or (Android and IOS) and uploaded to the relevant APP-STORES. This APP could cost $2.00 and have awesome functionality and features , probably take all of 30days to fully build and ready for uploading.

now lets say 2000 people download it ... well theres $4000 for 1 months work yeah?

just food for thought..

Greetz.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

If you are new to programming/scripting in general, it also helps to look to other programming languages. Programming is not just like learning a new language, programming is a concept in which you understand which instructions you give to the computer. Often, people say "my computer is not working", where they actually mean "I gave the wrong instructions to the computer". The same applies to programming: first decide on the task that you want to execute (even on paper!) and then translate it into programming language.

I consider "Sam's Teach yourself C in 21 days" a good start: https://kldp.org/files/c+in+21+days.pdf
Uscript has similarities with C++ and Javascript, so it is useful to look into those as well.

Another important thing to remember: don't be discouraged by failure. At the beginning, things do often not go as you want. The hardest part of programming is not the writing and compiling of a program, but to determine whether it actually does what you had in mind. That's where the real work (debugging) starts.

More notes on why programming is useful: nowadays, many electronic devices come with a development kit. In other words, you can adapt your device's functions to your own need. That practically gives you the ability to say: "I don't like what it does now, so I change it into something that I do like".

Good luck!
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Indeed Darkelarious, once you are over the tough start it is to learn a programming language, then it's a walk in the park from there on :-)

Some people gets confused about some tutorials beeing too advanced and hard to understand, I know óf a nice Little tutorial site for various web languages here: http://www.tizag.com/

It's made up easily to navigate through and serves small code snippets carefully explaining what is going on - I'll say it's a good place to start, and though it's non Uscript related you'll benefit from this if you plan to combine UT with a webinterface :-)
Retired.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Funnily enough someone on google+ just asked if anyone could build a simple app which utilizes google maps (GPS) for Trucking Routes.

Basically as we know Trucks need to take different routes (due to height / width / load bearing restrictions).

This could be a good start. However I think some variables are missing from the current google API's... like those above.

Anyways if anyone would like to be able to build functional basic - medium type apps for android devices then here is a very simple visual development environment where small blocks of predefined code are assembled into bigger pieces to form a fully functional app.

App Inventor 2
Http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/
Tutorials
[youtube]VOX2rn2Z-oc[/youtube]

^screenshot from older version.

Http://preetiedul.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... -inventor/

@Dark , yes lol I started that book many years ago.. (had a physical copy).. but lost it in one of our many moves.

Also for memory not sure if that was the book but the coding samples were bugged and the results were mainly erronious iirc... perhaps it was the oher book for just C.

Re: Learning C++ , Here's an androidy-app I just found which looks interesting;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mAWVoICwBA

@TheDane , perhaps to bring back the passion in your forum you could make a few changes and turn it into a coding resource where the Unreal-stuff is under its own thread and your other interests become foremost?

I suppose Unrealtournament.info would be a little less descriptive to encompass such a site , so it could be separate to or rebranded (easier) to something like idk..
Developers-United.info with sub Forums for each and every other Development Option.
ie; UScript / C++ / PHP / App Builders / etc.. Sections.

However if you kept A site running which correlates with 'All things development as well as democratic "Freedom of speech" then you could have something worth keeping.

Which is why you built the website to start with ;) ^_^

However I think you (and I) can start to appreciate the work involved in running a forum.. its not just a setup and wander off type deal (like websites) *almost
Last edited by Wises on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Wises wrote: now lets say 2000 people download it ... well theres $4000 for 1 months work yeah?
Greetz.
I always like the fact, if you build the right app/website at the right time, you could end up with a ten figure bank account 8)
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:
Wises wrote: now lets say 2000 people download it ... well theres $4000 for 1 months work yeah?
Greetz.
I always like the fact, if you build the right app/website at the right time, you could end up with a ten figure bank account 8)
it is a reality, however one needs to be able to think up something or rather be presented with a problem to solve first. for example I was looking for 2 apps just now on Android

1. resize 16mp camera Images down to Web size

^ found 10+ of these.

Image Resize to Web
for use with mobile devices

2. automatically (press of a button) upload to an image posting service (selectable) like postimg.org / imgur.com the image and provide a http://link for posting to forums also with 'sharing' ability.

^ nothing out there (yet)..

Soo this poses the question of.. how many other people out there in the masses need / want this kinda app?

just off the top of my head I'd guess perhaps 10,000+? , imagine the returns on 100,000 or 500,000 @ $2.00 a pop?!?
could make someone an Instant Millionaire...

someone could zap this up using the free app inventor above and put onto playstore for $1-$2 a pop and make a killing for again very little work.

Note: Also being business minded to some degree , all I would ask for is 7.5% in royalties for the above said Application , notably 'Image Resize to Web' App ;)

Simple functionality;

~ Browse for Image (or take using camera) on device
~ Offer compression types and output (.jpg,.bmp,.png) - 2.5MB Image reduced to 250KB or even 25KB ;) &/or By Max width/Height ie; Width 600px or Height 400px.
~ Select 'Web Service' from drop-down to send to. (postimg.org/imgur.com) or both/all?
~ Click Button (Compress & Upload) or (Compress & Share) - Share to other services like email / facebook / etc. (there will be a simple function for doing this)
~ Retrieve URL and Automatically copy link to 'Clipboard' (for posting later)
~ Optional / Advanced feature; Ability to Watermark with custom .png/.img

*Paid App / 1 week Trial / No Adds or Bullshit.
theres some good money for something so simple ;)

also note: that just because something is already out-there , does not mean that your idea/concept is void.. because just like Icecream not everyone likes the same flavour ;)
and different features / styles of apps can appeal to different audiences.
Last edited by Wises on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...I have to make this thread sticky. Too much good stuff here.