Problem with redirect server.

Discussions about Servers
prime
Novice

Problem with redirect server.

Post by prime »

Hi all,

I've setup a small server at home on my Linux box which is working correctly and I can connect to it and play on it without problems.

Server machine is SuSE Linux, ut server is 4.36, and has Wizards Gauntlet running on it.
Client machine is Windows 7 64 bit.

However I'm now trying to set it up to do redirect downloading.

I have configured the server redirect lines :

Code: Select all

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://192.168.0.254/ut/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True
I'm running thttpd on 192.168.0.254 and can access the /ut/ directory and download files with Mozilla, wget and even by telnetting to port 80 and issuing GET /ut/MapvoteLA13.u.uz HTTP/1.0. So I am pretty sure that the web server is working, and that my client machine can communicate with the webserver. I believe that the filenames are of the correct case too, so that should not be the problem.

However when I try and connect to my server with a basic UT install, it will try and retrieve the first file, (MapvoteLA13.u.uz), appear to hang and then eventually download it from the UT server.

In my client log I get the following lines :

loads of similar lines for other packages before this
DevNet: PendingLevel received: USES GUID=7254A827428A39B9A5360AADCEB24F96 PKG=MapVoteLA13 FLAGS=1 SIZE=139866 GEN=1 FNAME=MapvoteLA13.u
a few more lines for packages after then :
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=IpDrv.HTTPDownload PARAMS=http://192.168.0.254/ut/ COMPRESSION=1
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=Engine.ChannelDownload PARAMS=Enabled COMPRESSION=0
DevNet: PendingLevel received: WELCOME LEVEL=CTF-Gauntlet LONE=0
DevNet: Welcomed by server: LEVEL=CTF-Gauntlet LONE=0
Log: Resolving aurigae.ftt...
DevNet: Receiving package 'MapVoteLA13'
Log: Resolved aurigae.ftt (192.168.0.254)
DevNet: HTTPDownload: connection timed out
DevNet: Receiving package 'MapVoteLA13'
So it looks like it is resolving the IP address correctly and then timing out for some reason trying to download the file.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here ? i can provide more logging etc if needed.

Cheers.

Phill.
UT99.org

Re: Problem with redirect server.

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I've never tried using a local ip for redirect, interesting that the client knows it's local and then does an ip to hostname resolve.

Obvious fix would be to use a non local ip, I am intrigued though with this ip to hostname resolve on local ips.

I wonder if the game tries to resolve to ip if you use a working hostname like localhost or whatever computer it is and if that would be a second alternative fix

On a sidenote if you use -lanplay in the server's commandline it should ignore the 'netspeed' settings on client and 'maxclientrate' on server. It will transfer at maximum speed without need for a redirect.

And another sidenote, Higor's beta engine modifications may even go faster than maximum if I'm reading that thread correct
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

billybill wrote:I've never tried using a local ip for redirect, interesting that the client knows it's local and then does an ip to hostname resolve.
Well My linux box has a DNS server running on it for my local domain *.ftt which my client machines get as their DNS settings via DHCP. The DNS server of course also talks to the outside world for anything else.
Obvious fix would be to use a non local ip, I am intrigued though with this ip to hostname resolve on local ips.
I could try using the WAN IP from the linux box as it is my internet router.

I wonder if the game tries to resolve to ip if you use a working hostname like localhost or whatever computer it is and if that would be a second alternative fix

On a sidenote if you use -lanplay in the server's commandline it should ignore the 'netspeed' settings on client and 'maxclientrate' on server. It will transfer at maximum speed without need for a redirect.
Ahh that's worth knowing.
And another sidenote, Higor's beta engine modifications may even go faster than maximum if I'm reading that thread correct
That would be good.

Cheers.

Phill.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Maybe this helps?

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=15.0
InitialConnectTimeout=300.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=20000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=0.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=20
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
Taken from my local install, not from server.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
prime
Novice

Post by prime »

Ok I think I have it working and I now feel stupid........

I'd managed to drag and drop UnrealTournament.ini to the same directory as itself, creating UnrealTournament - copy.ini and then proceeded to edit the wrong one!

I managed to sus this by doing a wireshark capture and noticing the UT was trying to connect to the proxy port (3128), investigating that and realizing it was the wrong file :(

Having deleted the copy and set things up as they should be things are downloading off the redirect without problems....

Cheers.

Phill.