The true multicore ut fix! (fix at least Cool'n'Quiet amd cp

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
iloveut99
Skilled

The true multicore ut fix! (fix at least Cool'n'Quiet amd cp

Post by iloveut99 »

So after a big time trying to fix this issue with my laptop processor I finally found a decent solution. It fix the too fast/slow speed in ut99. (works even in non ace servers and without disable Cool'n'Quiet in bios)

Here's the link to download:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/releas ... 36-1.0.zip
Awakened0 wrote:This is the best fix for Multi Core/Speedstepping issues I've found for UT99:
http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/
Just grab the binary for UT under the Depreciated section. It gives you a new exe called CustomUnrealTournament to put in your System folder and run. It'll create a new CustomUnrealTournament.ini for itself that you can just copy your settings over from your original UT ini.
You should clone your ut.ini and rename it to Launch.ini so you can still play with your configurations.

Enjoy. :)
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Re: The true multicore ut fix! (fix at least Cool'n'Quiet am

Post by >@tack!< »

I have quadcore but dont experience any problems so i dont need this or do i?
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

>@tack!< wrote:I have quadcore but dont experience any problems so i dont need this or do i?
No you don't. This is more to the notebooks which frequently change cpu frequency in order to reduce power consumption.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

4GEN7 wrote:It worked, thx!
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

FFR (for future reference) this is also a great dualcore patch for ut99.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wises wrote:FFR (for future reference) this is also a great dualcore patch for ut99.
Last post was Sun Apr 08, 2012.
Please add some more nutritional value to your post. Or else it's just a useless necro-bump.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

ahh yep soz , what i was trying to do actually (lol) was adding keywords to this thread so that it could be more-easily found via google (later on) , ie; UT99 Dual Duel Core Patch for in particular AMD Processors with Cool 'n' Quiet Technologies.
only because every-time I try to find this Patch it is not easily found ^_^

however , after a few days then when I goto http://www.google.com and search for UT99 Dualcore Patch or UT99 Duelcore Patch or even UT99 Multicore Patch then I can be assured that this 'Thread' will be at the top or at least on the First page of results.

Let google do its magic
seems to be semi opperational

:D
vindalooo
Novice

Post by vindalooo »

Hey forum go-ers

I'm happy someone bumped this thread so I dont have to do it :P. This is the only thread that showed up when searching for 'amd' title topics only.

I recently purchased an AMD A8-6600K DualCore cpu, which in hindsight is the worst thing I could do for both gaming and UT99. QuakeLive runs okay but UT99 is below crap.
I'm having stutters and screen tearing, which shouldnt happen since I'm running a GTX 750 gpu alongside it.

Doing multiple google searches revealed that I'm not the only one who is having these troubles with amd cpu. Of course threads show issues for current running games and fixes for UT99 are outdated.

I already disabled Cool'n'Quiet, Turbo Core Technology and Core C6 State in Bios. I am running the Amd Dual Core Optimizer (for windows xp haha) and the Amd Dual Core Patch. I dont know if it's allowed to post links to other sites so ppl know what I'm talking about.

Even with all these tweaks UT99 still manages to run worse than it did 10 years ago. If someone can relate to this post and has tried out OriginalPoster's fix, could they comment about it? Any feedback is more than welcome. Contemplating switching to an Intel CPU - if only I had done some better research I wouldnt be in this mess.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You might try setting the core affinity to single core for the game too. Example:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/37272/se ... rformance/

BTW, you won't see this stated often but you might consider backing up your entire installation after doing the core affinity and your other fixes. Once you have a solid backup totally delete UT. Do it through add/remove programs if you can then double check that the root folder is deleted too. I'd even clean the registry out just to make sure nothing remains.

Once you are totally clean then reinstall but DON'T use the backed up files. Install from a GOTY disc or an unaltered 436 image. After you install a vanilla version go ahead and run it once and play about 30 seconds on a map (any will do). After that you can install the Bonus Packs and updates if you used a 432 version. Again, when you get done installing them go ahead and fire up a game just once. Now you are free to copy back in the files from your backup. *CAUTION*- for SURE don't copy any of the default ini files (UnrealTournament.ini, User.ini, etc) back in. Just copy the textures, sounds, maps, etc. In your system folder you only want to copy back in any of the .u files (but don't overwrite anything).

So why go through all this? Well when UT first starts from a fresh installation it will poll your processor to get a reference clock speed. Any deviation to this reference will cause issues with your game. That's why cool-n-quiet and the core speed stepping tech caused so many issues. Even Power Management can cause problems so you should set it to "Always On" for the HDD before you do your replace installation. By setting up a stable environment for the game THEN installing it so it can get a proper (and unchanging) reference, it could fix all your issues.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Post by Dizzy »

I'm bumping this thread to share my experience with this launcher.

Yes, it did make the game smoother, however it also limited my FPS to a max of 65 regardless of any renderer or .ini settings. 65 FPS feels very slow and sluggish (I usually play at ~180 FPS).

I'd love to find out if there's a way to increase the FPS limit and will update if I find out.
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

A little thing if you're using my launcher:

Renderer frame limiter still uses old sleep methods so no matter what launcher you use, it'll cause stuttering and speed issues.
In order to let the launcher work 100% you need a separate frame limiter.
So far the only non-renderer frame limiter available is in XC_Engine (you type 'FPS X' and X is your framerate limit)
If you're using the XC_Engine limiter, you HAVE to disable the renderer's limiter.

TL;DR
Before: launcher asks engine for FPS limit, engine says 0 and launcher doesn't sleep, renderer will instead sleep using old methods (same as v436 launcher).
Ideal: MiniLauncher asks XC_Engine for FPS limit, XC_Engine says (x, input by you) and MiniLauncher will use enhanced sleep, renderer does not sleep at all (frameratelimit=0).
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Post by Dizzy »

Higor wrote:A little thing if you're using my launcher:

Renderer frame limiter still uses old sleep methods so no matter what launcher you use, it'll cause stuttering and speed issues.
In order to let the launcher work 100% you need a separate frame limiter.
So far the only non-renderer frame limiter available is in XC_Engine (you type 'FPS X' and X is your framerate limit)
If you're using the XC_Engine limiter, you HAVE to disable the renderer's limiter.

TL;DR
Before: launcher asks engine for FPS limit, engine says 0 and launcher doesn't sleep, renderer will instead sleep using old methods (same as v436 launcher).
Ideal: MiniLauncher asks XC_Engine for FPS limit, XC_Engine says (x, input by you) and MiniLauncher will use enhanced sleep, renderer does not sleep at all (frameratelimit=0).
I actually meant the "Launch" launcher from the original post.

However, I just installed XC_Engine and used it in conjunction with your launcher (MiniLauncher). I disabled the D3D10 frame rate limiter (FPSLimit=0) and ran the game. Initially there seemed to be a hard limit of 204 FPS or so (not sure if this is your launcher or XC_Engine?) so I typed "FPS 180" in the console and this limited it to 180 FPS.

But my stuttering problem is still happening on my Linux servers.

My game is totally fine offline - it plays beautifully smooth. But as soon as I go on my own servers, I stutter like hell.

Any ideas?
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

That hard limit is on the game's 'world' updater, it'll make sure that the ingame 'time' between frames never goes outside of the [1/200,1/4] range. If the game FPS is higher it'll run faster, if slower it'll run in slow motion.

Regarding behaviour when a local NetDriver is attached to your 'world' and connected to a remote server...
Do the stuttering occur on all servers or the ones you mentioned? (start a LAN dedicated to test locally if you can)
What's your netspeed? (framerate limit changes with some netspeed values)
You may also type 'STAT GLOBAL' when connected and examine the engine timings (frame, game, cli, blit, net) and see if one if too jumpy or unstable.
UJIbU4

Post by UJIbU4 »

Doesn't work. Installed UT 436, Launcher, XC_engine 20, XC_core 7, turned off all renderer's fps limits in Launch.ini, tried dx9 render and new opengl - everytime game shows 64 fps that varies down sometimes, in console xc_engine fps limit is set to 180 and it's adjusted correctly. Checked in practice session.
Going in BIOS and disabling all CPU energy saving features every time when wanting to play UT is just too much actions, though it worked.

Edit: Looks like the launcher mentioned before was MiniLauncher from this post - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11791&p=91940&hili ... her#p91940
Now it works!
Such important file not linked anywhere, including this topic... should be in a separate sticky topic with an instruction, summarized from posts above.