Discussions about everything else
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: my UT/Unreal days may be behind me: MAJOR ERROR

Post by rjmno1 »

Carbon wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:Take a vacuum cleaner, and remove all the dust wich will come worse with the years ,and clean everything.
Vacuums and computers don't mix well...too much potential for trouble. Canned air is a much safer and effective solution.
well maby there is another way to remove the dusk from the processor cooler and vidcard.
I did it with mine computer also , dusk apear in the propellor from the coolers from the processor and maby the cooler from the vidcard also.
He can clean the dusk from the power suply also.
reset the bios and make sure all components must be clean also.
But maby just maby its just a power supply error.
He just cannot dilever the 12 v and the 3,3 for the memmory and the 5 volts for the harddisk.
Maby a processor cooler went into a error or the videocard cooler also.
It all depens how old that computer system is.
And it is just like he said the compuyter freezes so it can be a videocard error also.
test and try a older vidcard, test and tryout a other power supplyer where he is sure he knows that power supply is good.
canned air is maby a safer solution.
ill used to be a aa+ computer expert.
everything with that in mind here in europe is very hot right now it,s now here 30 grades the Celsius.
So the environment temparatures are not good for any computer system right now.
i just trying to help and solves his problem.
aplications for videocard and processor:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonito ... r_1.27.exe

that hd monitoring you can see the temps and the fans.
mine 2 system fans running on 100 procent right now.

happy downloading and monitoring.

regardz:rjmno1
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Update · http://evilgrins.livejournal.com/1257285.html
Tried that, turns out it requires other files to work that I didn't have.
Carbon wrote:
rjmno1 wrote:Take a vacuum cleaner, and remove all the dust wich will come worse with the years ,and clean everything.
Vacuums and computers don't mix well...too much potential for trouble. Canned air is a much safer and effective solution.
Not a bad idea, though I'll need a mask. Light case of asthma. Even if that did fix things, doesn't help much if I'm dead.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Being in electronics for 30 years, I must say I was surprised how much even thin film of dust affected the temps on my older system
Lot more than I thought, so if things are clogged up around the fins, and the fan is weighted. Things run pretty hot.

I use a brush and an air compressor, you just need to let it dry out for a little while, unless it's shooting out massive moister, but it dries fast, small particles of water, not that bad.

You got to clean it before you do anything else, and clean the edge connectors of the RAM. leave the CPU alone.
Binary Space Partitioning
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

It's a good habit to clean your PC outside the house if the weather allows it. But your screenshot suggests that this is more than a bit of dust.

There is another way to find out whether it's a software problem or a hardware problem: download an ubuntu (or other linux distro) live disk and run it as "Try ubuntu". This will not install linux on your system, but just allow you to run it from the USB stick. It's a bit slow, depending on the PC, Ram and USB port/disk, but it helps a lot with diagnosing problems.

If your system does this on ubuntu too, you know it's a hardware problem. If it doesn't happen, you may consider a clean install with a clean harddisk. I don't know if it's within your budget and scope, you can always consider buying a new computer :mrgreen:

Good luck.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It's a good idea to keep a linux boot thumbdrive/disk just for such emergencies. I've used them several times to recover passwords from locked systems.

I'd always read that canned air was always to be used but a buddy of mine does it for a living and he told me that's fairly close to urban legend. In the old days the parts were pretty sensitive but the last years have seen parts made to be robust and less sensitive to extremes in conditions. He uses a shop-vac every day to clean things out and told me it's not an issue. I felt a little uncomfortable about it but he asked me when the last time that I used a grounding strap when swapping parts or if I've lost anything to static charge in the last 10 years. I had to admit I haven't and I don't worry about static charge hurting parts since it doesn't seem to happen to anyone any longer.

I wonder if canned air is like bottled water...You use it because it seems better but it's not at all necessary.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I've seen this (your screenshot on livejournal) many times when I worked on an iMac ...the videocard died and made many crazy things. Sometimes I got beautiful vertical orange and yellow stripes, horizontal black and grey stripes, shattered screens like yours with fractals in complimentary colour and sometimes just single coloured screens ...the dark blue one was my favourite.

Only solution was to replace the videocard ...I hope it's something different and not that severely.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

To add to what Paper said.

Check the fan on the video card. On some cards you can replace or even upgrade the fan if it dies.

I have an antique PC that runs as hot as they get. (3.2g socket 478 HyperTreading P4)

Have had a very similar issue with it 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years, and each time the
problem was the fan on the video card.

Do the same sort of thing everybody else has been advising regarding cleaning, but make sure not
to miss the video card fan. Check it to make sure it is spinning up and not seized.

Very small paint brush, or the type of brush used for applying flux for soldering will work good for
cleaning out vid card and cpu fans and other hard to reach places. Then a blast of air to blow it out of there.

Good luck !
blarg
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

JackGriffin wrote: I wonder if canned air is like bottled water...You use it because it seems better but it's not at all necessary.
No mate...I think it is because it can blast out nooks and crannies that vacuums can't reach. It also does a nice job of not letting fan fins be of any real significance.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Don't canned air get cold, then condensation ? seems worse.

My dad told me the thing about air is, it will inject dirt in as well as blow it out.
So I use a brush and an air compressor at the same time, just enough air in bursts not high pressure, as I brush.

As for static, just try to grab onto the case before and while doing things or lean on it (bare metal) while you work.

set the boards down on anti static bags, I also ground the bags a little before I put a board on them.
You could have 50,000 volts, so long as everything has 50,000 volts and nothing would go wrong (like a bird on a wire), same for ground, if everything is at ground it won't get a static charge.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Canned air cannot develop condensation on the inside; physically impossible in a pressurized vacuum. Your air compressor however certainly does get condensation inside. As for the carrier or propellant in canned air, it is not 'wet' and leaves no residue (it isn't water in any sense).

Now, blowing dirt in, well, I can't imagine where you would have to be doing the cleaning for this to happen....in a field or on a beach? :P

Finally, you don't have to disassemble the system to use the stuff; it works well without taking things apart. A soft makeup brush will loosen anything stubborn and help with fan blades.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah yes HDD Guardian does use .Net, so you must not have updated to v4 yet.
Then I would recommend using the manufacturers own software which you can find on the "Ultimate Boot CD"

The pic shows what looks like a heating or overclocking type problem, rather than corrupt files.
If anything about the nVida card dies, you will always see the DLL crash. This does not mean the DLL made it crash.

The problem you have with the old DLL being recreated before you copy in the new one, is your AV software being clever.
You will have to tell it to stop managing the system files while you replace any. Simply disabling realtime scanning may not work but try it first.
Personally I would just reinstall or use the fix install option in "Add/Remove Software", before resorting to that.

Your BIOS may end up with odd settings if you keep locking up, so don't forget to check everything there is as it should be.

Does your graphics card have a thermostat ?
CPU-Z and PC Wizard should show this info if possible.
Almico Speedfan is also very useful for displaying/monitoring/controlling temp and fan speeds.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

No, when you spray the canned air the area gets cold, and the area gets condensation.

Canned air is like really bad freeze mist, but it still gets cold.

and yes air will push dirt into things, but at higher pressure from the existing dust or dirt, not new dirt.

good excuse to go to the beach :)