Is this possible plus map ideas

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Is this possible plus map ideas

Post by Pileyrei »

I want to create a 10 year birthday map for a UT clan that is still going strong.

The map needs to be DM and small to medium in size. It will go on a funnel server so needs to be funnel style or close enough.

Is it possible for a player to push a button that then freezes all players while an event takes place for about 10 seconds?

Picture this.....player presses a button.....all players freeze whilst a silly tune plays plus a hole in the roof opens and a ton of rockets or cluster deemers fall out and on to the players (they unfreeze as the rockets/deemers drop).

Any fun things/suggestions to add to such a map?
Earthquakes, pressure zones, traps,etc.

Thanks and sorry for my somewhat random thread :ironic:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Re: Is this possible plus map ideas

Post by [did]Madis »

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:ZoneInfo_%28UT%29

Only way I can think of is using zone properties that affect the speed with which players can move, e.g. ZoneTerminalVelocity via a ZoneTrigger? I can't say for sure since I've never used ZoneTriggers, but I assume it could be used to turn the speed cap on/off when triggered. ZoneTerminalVelocity is supposed to affect all objects in a zone, so perhaps one of the other properties would fit better.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, you can do it. You'll need to make a cutscene for it. Alucard's maps have a couple of nice ones. TMH-RobotFactory comes to mind as a good example to follow.

In essence what happens is everyone's view gets hijacked for the duration of the cutscene. Cuts can be live-action or scripted, it's just a matter of where you position the camera(s). It's a difficult thing to create but the effect is really cool. That map I referenced has different endings depending on whether Red team or Blue team wins.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

JackGriffin wrote:Yeah, you can do it. You'll need to make a cutscene for it. Alucard's maps have a couple of nice ones. TMH-RobotFactory comes to mind as a good example to follow.

In essence what happens is everyone's view gets hijacked for the duration of the cutscene. Cuts can be live-action or scripted, it's just a matter of where you position the camera(s). It's a difficult thing to create but the effect is really cool. That map I referenced has different endings depending on whether Red team or Blue team wins.
That is actually a really good idea because it would work within the confines of the engine.

My first thought that could work, is use the property changer actor, you can change the zone settings on the fly, and you need another set to change it back. All from an event.
I could do a quick test map, curious myself, a freeze button, ha ya ! it would need to be the tag of the zone you want, and more to control other zones. so some could get froze and other zones still move.
Binary Space Partitioning
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You have to remember though what things don't get replicated normally. You can switch the player's view to a remote camera but some new relevance rules start to come into effect depending on what you chose to include on your cinematic. This can get pretty tricky depending on what effects you use. It's a perfectly acceptable way to pan a camera through a docking bay or show the after-scene of a murder but if you want to do some live things like blowing stuff up, etc you'll need to take care what classes you use.

A good example of this is skyboxes. You can make a smoking volcano in the main map and everyone will see it smoking. You can add that same volcano to the skybox and see a smoking volcano way off in the distance via the skybox BUT that same map online will fail. You won't see the smoke in the skybox because the camera in it does not replicate the smoke. Using cameras is difficult and requires a bunch of try-and-see.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Go grab Al's map:
http://index.utslv.com/index.php?dir=Ma ... actory.zip
and play it through. After you get a feel for the layout and see the cutscenes you can open the map in editor and see how he does it. BTW this entire map works online so everything he uses you can too. Several of Al's maps have these. I'll message him and see if he's still around. He should give this lesson, he's way, way, way smarter than me about all things mapping.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I tried it, I changed the fluid friction and terminal velocity and switched waterzone on and off. Used a Tarzone.

But the main problem is, to have a tarzone feel and turn it on and off, but one needs to enter the zone.
I shoot the OFF mover and you can put it back to normal.

It can work probably if people are always falling, and then into the zone, dunno seems impractical but might work for some idea.

There was one thing, if possible, if you can simulate everyone as if you hit the talk button. You cant move or play if you hit talk. you can't use pause the whole game will pause.
But if there is a way to force talk on everyone they would all freeze. I think.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks for all the replies and Im glad there is some interest :)

Will look into the other links too.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Played the map, very nice :)

The ending is just what I want.....now to work out how its done.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

There's another MonsterHunt map that I played for the first time a few days ago with the same idea that I'd like to tip my hat to. I was called something like "Alice in Easterland" - brilliantly inventive.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Ive played that map. I like how you shrink down in size at one part :o

Anyway......to figure out how to bring up another scene/camera when a player pushes a button...... :ironic:

I guess that's a trigger which triggers an event?.....

Gah, I have some work to do.
Any links to tuts for this task will be greatly appreciated!

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

ShaiHulud wrote:There's another MonsterHunt map that I played for the first time a few days ago with the same idea that I'd like to tip my hat to. I was called something like "Alice in Easterland" - brilliantly inventive.
That's the same guy that made robotfactory, just another name he maps under lol. He also has a good one called "Rise of Evil". I emailed him but never heard back. Alucard was having some issues a couple of years back with his health so he may have other things on his mind than mapping. He was super into cosplay too so you might poke around the Euro cosplay scene and see if he is still active. He uses "Alucard" a lot and his significant other uses the handle "PoliceGirl" or "PG". He used to make some really stunning outfits for the gatherings. I think I still have a pic of PG done up as Pyramid Head. The same detail he used in his maps he also applied to the costumes so you know they were good.

Pi, as far as I know there are not real tuts on this. You can follow the triggers and dispatchers in Al's maps and it will show you how it works. Feel free to ask me too if you get stuck.
Kayako Amaya
Novice

Post by Kayako Amaya »

JackGriffin wrote:
ShaiHulud wrote:There's another MonsterHunt map that I played for the first time a few days ago with the same idea that I'd like to tip my hat to. I was called something like "Alice in Easterland" - brilliantly inventive.
That's the same guy that made robotfactory, just another name he maps under lol. He also has a good one called "Rise of Evil". I emailed him but never heard back. Alucard was having some issues a couple of years back with his health so he may have other things on his mind than mapping. He was super into cosplay too so you might poke around the Euro cosplay scene and see if he is still active. He uses "Alucard" a lot and his significant other uses the handle "PoliceGirl" or "PG". He used to make some really stunning outfits for the gatherings. I think I still have a pic of PG done up as Pyramid Head. The same detail he used in his maps he also applied to the costumes so you know they were good.

Pi, as far as I know there are not real tuts on this. You can follow the triggers and dispatchers in Al's maps and it will show you how it works. Feel free to ask me too if you get stuck.
That would be me, I previously went under the names Alucard and VatcilliZeitchef, on these boards too. Sadly I lost access to the old email address that I used (Sorry for not responding to all those messages, Gopo.) -A lot- of things had happened and I ended up forgetting my login code of all things. Let's say Google doesn't exactly have a lot of methods to recover your email address if you use multiple email addresses and only have one mobile phone. Can't blame them, they probably aren't happy with it. If you want the contact details for my new mail, you can send me a note.

Memsys can vouch for the authenticity of this post, and the idiot who posted it.

The point that has to be made though is. I am still around, not in perfect medical condition, but in comparison to what Gopo had to deal with it's nothing. And if I can help anyone in the UT community, old or new, I'll gladly do so.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

I can confirm that Kayako Amaya is in fact VatcilliZeitchef/Alucard.
Also, Jack if you need to reach Kayako feel free to message me and I will make sure Kayako gets that message (in case this alias also gets shed/lost).
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

All I will say to this thread and the last few posts is WOW!

:highfive: :tu: :highfive:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I can get some freeze going on by switching the zone properties with the property changer and without having to enter the zone.
I have it only if you are already in the air, but if you are on the ground it still lets you walk around, still want to try a few things.
However I have two movers to shoot, on and off and works good, it seems it's not adding or subtracting friction or Terminal velocity, it's more like everything at 0

But still am able to move by walking on a floor, so I am thinking it needs a combination, some zero, some set high.

If I set fluid or ground friction really high you can move but has a vibrating effect like motion blur, but still able to move.