Just bought RAGE game.

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Just bought RAGE game.

Post by Red_Fist »

Kind of odd game, it seems every time I read opinions or reviews things are not good. The game is pretty damn good.

There is friggen 22 gigabyte !!! 3 DVD's I am not having any problems running it.

My biggest gripe is I wish I could walk all over ever square inch, so the scenery or terrain, alot is just for looks, but still good.
And the driving, not too fond of driving, it is what it is.

And for $7.25 new out the door, hell ya. I wouldn't go by what others say if you wanted to get it. Those Quake guys try to make a more serious type game not so far fetched in game even though the stories are.

And let me tell you, it has got to be the best worst environment game I ever seen. Everything is so trashed, rusted, broken, makeshift living built from junk, then once you arrive in dead city, holy freak out it's even a worse !! environment.
Friggen mutants slopping slime, can't see, black slime dripping on walls, oozing, sand rock crumbling above. A whole different game I must say.

I mean how they made it look so friggen gross and bad deserves an award. They set out to make things so destroyed looking it's hard to believe how they did it.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Just bought RAGE game.

Post by Hellkeeper »

Review are so split on this one I have no idea how good it actually is. I've always been curious about it though. It looks like a nice effort on id's part.
You must construct additional pylons.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I like the game. Loads of fun.

Sure, it is an Id game, rail shooter with some driving crow-barred in, but if there is one thing Id does well, it's a straight-up shooter. The leveling system is cool as well; the ammo upgrades are certainly worth it. It sure looks nice but yes, most of the scenery is fenced off. I guess you applied all of the PC tweaks? Of have they been sorted through patches?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't know, but I didn't want to have steam upload the whole dang thing since I have the disks. Tried a few things to not use steam for the install.

Either they made it work right without me doing anything, but what I did was "install a non steam game"
I used "setup" as the file, had steam running and it asked a few things but it said "installing from disk" and it took a while.

I use modem lights, a little tray icon so I can see activity. It only flashed a little bit. After the install it was already patched. So maybe if you buy a version now compared to 2011 they put the patches on, it's the "Anarchy edition" if that makes a difference.
The updates still did say they were applied that same day, but my modem lights hardly flashed at all.

It was slow, acting weird, I did their bench test it came out to 66 "good". Thinking the bottom option selection, related to CPU and thought it was for AMD only, I checked it anyway, and the bench test went to 149 ! EDIT,( 181 )

I went back to not high textures cache, and the thing runs very good, I think if I set textures back to high again it will still run fast, but they look too sharp and bothers my eyes anyway. EDIT, not sure about that it's "texture cache" it drags on a load level, put it back to low texture cache.

Plus these steam games I buy a disk no matter what, but each one allows to not have the disk in, to play, one plus for steam there. But one could say, it worked ,out of the box.

And getting into Dead City level is probably the only game in years that actually has me kind of scared. It just looks sooooo terrible to be in that place even if there were no enemies. It's sort of like Stalker, Call of Pripyat, times 1000.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hellkeeper wrote:Review are so split on this one I have no idea how good it actually is. I've always been curious about it though. It looks like a nice effort on id's part.
A lot of missions, get items, sell for cash, win races upgrade the car, a "jobs board" in a town if you can call it a town. Shoot bandits in cars, mutants in sewers and up top, gambling, collect things like plants, you make things to do stuff and you acquire "recipes" for helping certain people, and the one main story.

Sort of a mix of missions that are relevant to the environment and story, it's got mutants, bandits, and the "authority" that I have not came up against yet. It's not like missions in a modern way of thinking, sort of like one beat up planet that everyone is surviving years after you awake. One torn up place

I hear the authority would use me for tests or kill me, bandits could turn you in, dunno I have not played that long, but it's a lot so far.Long way to go, and things to find and do.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

RAGE really looks fun, never played it.
I am waiting for DOOM 4.

This time Id Software will add a free editor, so that others can make their custom maps for free.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

I played the first half of the intro, up until after I got out of a car and finally started killing things. Mind you I played on console, but there were just so many graphical pop ins that the scenery kinda pissed me off. The combat sucked in my opinion because it took two magazines of headshots to put down one enemy. Nearly 7-8 magazines later I quit, haven't touched it again.
Rocky wrote:RAGE really looks fun, never played it.
I am waiting for DOOM 4.

This time Id Software will add a free editor, so that others can make their custom maps for free.
The gameplay just looks so slow and awful. I'd rather play custom .wads or Brutal Doom: Sperglord Edition. Or Perfected Doom 3.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Not playing slow here at all, and I kill mutants and bandits in one shot, sniper or shotgun, playing on ,normal. I can shoot the cars up pretty quick as well, from my car machine gun.

Thing is, too, all that meshwork, programing, textures, sounds, voice tracks, and I bought it for $7.25
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

My Settings for command line, the no intro one has to be done through the Steam command line that you can enter.

+cvaradd g_fov 8 +com_skipIntroVideo "1"

The first one sets the FOV plus 8.
The second one stops the intro stuff. (only in Steam) it's a obsolete command, they took it out.
Well whatever, just incase and copy, paste.

:rock:

For command lines
http://rage.wikia.com/wiki/Tweaks

For Maps (surface maps)
http://guides.gamepressure.com/rage/guide.asp?ID=12739
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Id Tech commands are always complex and difficult to memorize.
But if you press TAB key, it will give you list of available commands compared to UT which is not there and someone has to memorize it or Google it if don't remember.

Al least XConsole has the ability to store the history of commands.
flamingmoe
Novice

Post by flamingmoe »

Rage was pretty fun, i like those post-apocalyptic games/movies. Not really fun to play a second time, but worth picking up cheaply.