Linux UT Server

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Linux UT Server

Post by Darkelarious »

A while ago I promised that I would write a tutorial about installing linux on an old computer to run a dedicated UT server.

I posted a first draft on the 333networks wiki: http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/T ... n_On_Linux
This is perhaps also a good moment to invite people to the 333networks wiki to help editing and filling in content. Please contact noccer for access to the wiki. Your help will be very very much appreciated when I get to the part of configuring the router and installing the UT server on linux. Right now, the basic structure is in place.

The first step includes preparing an old computer for the linux installation and installing Arch Linux. In a few days/upcoming weeks I will try to write more about installing UT99 on linux (server side) and configuring it to run a decently modded UT server.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Linux UT Server

Post by Chamberly »

Would it also include making backup/rotational logs that is useful for finding errors and such?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

Chamberly wrote:Would it also include making backup/rotational logs that is useful for finding errors and such?
We can make it as crazy as possible. It would help to have a few people join the wiki and make placeholder pages for things we should write tutorials on. It would help even more if a few people here want to participate in writing the tutorials too.
--Darkelarious
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I would recommend you use the UTPG ver. 440 linux install.

Also, will you be including info on having the UT server running "Headless" via Xvfb?

If not, I recommend that also.
blarg
Darkelarious
Skilled

Post by Darkelarious »

For the record, I keep updating the tutorial on http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/T ... n_On_Linux and will not paste this link at every post in this thread. Changes can be found in the view history tab.
Chamberly wrote:Would it also include making backup/rotational logs that is useful for finding errors and such?
I assume you mean writing the logfile to a different file before restarting the server? Done! If that's not what you meant, then please, what do you have in mind?
MrLoathsome wrote:I would recommend you use the UTPG ver. 440 linux install.
I never worked with UTPG, it's worth to explore this too. Would you perhaps be able to help write this part of the tutorial? PM for wiki access.
MrLoathsome wrote:Also, will you be including info on having the UT server running "Headless" via Xvfb?
In the tutorial I use and briefly explain "screen", because then you can still view the server output at any given moment. I should perhaps clarify that this is done over SSH/PuTTy, and that the server does not require any in/output peripherals and/or monitor. Xvfb is just a fancy tool to write all server output to /dev/null; in that respect I could also run the server as something like this

Code: Select all

~$ ./serverstart.sh > /dev/null
Apart from that, there are plenty of other ways to run the server on a remote location. Surely another thing to add to the tutorial. Again, please feel free to help and describe!

At this point the tutorial is growing so big that I should split it up in 4 different sections: Arch install+config, network/port setup, UT install+config and how to start/run the server. That would allow for different blocks/parts to choose from, like the original/goty install, utpg or plain copy/paste, as well as xvfb, screen or other terminal multiplexers.
--Darkelarious