CTF-w00tabulousBUMP

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

CTF-w00tabulousBUMP

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

According to the CTF-w00tabulous I made for Unreal Tournament(2015): https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho ... 00tabulous

Im woorking on a similar w00tabulous for UT99. It uses BumpMaps/NormalMaps for a realistic design, and so, to view it the best way, you need to use a Graphic Driver that supports the BumpMaps/NormalMaps (For example: The driver Direct3D10(D3D10), has an option inside UnrealTournament.ini called "BumpMapping"[DEFAULT: False], if set to true, you will be able to see the Textures BumpMapped)

Screenshots:
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: CTF-w00tabulousBUMP

Post by Hellkeeper »

These coronas are huge.
And the bump map... I'm not a fan to be honest.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

What maybe work on concrete and metal parts don't quite fit at the crates. It looks too grainy.
If we could use displacement mapping ...this would be a huge improvement. :mrgreen:
But bump-mapping looked ugly even when it was new and nearly every game used it.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

before you go any further you should go and play wootbulous from extreme woot ...

bump mapping plain old UT99 maps is wasting time imo - there's only a tiny audience left for UT99, and not many ppl will likely even care...

better yet, if you are new to UT mapping and want learn skills, why not just go learn how to make maps for UT4 ... ?

it is far more graphically rewarding (all aspects of the tech are just crushing UT99, sorry, sadly, but true) and get this, it takes far less
actual effort to do some crazy things than it does in UT99...

anyways, go find extreme woot - it's way better looking, with or without a bump-mapping driver.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

papercoffee wrote:What maybe work on concrete and metal parts don't quite fit at the crates. It looks too grainy.
If we could use displacement mapping ...this would be a huge improvement. :mrgreen:
But bump-mapping looked ugly even when it was new and nearly every game used it.
Yeah, ahahah XD, I thought the same thing, when I saw it I thought it was too much like cartoon style XD.
FraGnBraG wrote:before you go any further you should go and play wootbulous from extreme woot ...

bump mapping plain old UT99 maps is wasting time imo - there's only a tiny audience left for UT99, and not many ppl will likely even care...

better yet, if you are new to UT mapping and want learn skills, why not just go learn how to make maps for UT4 ... ?

it is far more graphically rewarding (all aspects of the tech are just crushing UT99, sorry, sadly, but true) and get this, it takes far less
actual effort to do some crazy things than it does in UT99...

anyways, go find extreme woot - it's way better looking, with or without a bump-mapping driver.
Oh nono, don't worry, I'm not new mapping, plus I was making maps for UT4, but my laptop is getting too old, and I can't make them anymore, that's why I came back to UT99, but this map is just a try, to make it similar to the w00t from UT4, nothing else... I know it's rly crappy, but actually I didn't care, I'm sorry XD
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Rough as it may be, but I am glad to see someone try and take advantage of the newer features we have to play with.
1 playable proof of concept is better than none.
The size and quality of the textures you are adding bumpmaps to, will be the biggest issue.

Currently it looks like the crates belong in a cartoon or cell-shaded game.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Dr.Flay wrote:Rough as it may be, but I am glad to see someone try and take advantage of the newer features we have to play with.
The size and quality of the textures you are adding bumpmaps to, will be the biggest issue.

No eheh, 923KB of Textures with BumpMaps, Bump maps are made on purpose to avoid big sizes(for textures and maps), that's the cool thing, instead of adding 30 bricks and increase the map size, you make a bumpmap that makes the CPU calculates lightmass like that surface is made of 30 bricks, and the cool is that you can use that bumpmap on every texture, making any texture you want looks like having 30 bricks(This means, you don't need 20 wall bumpmaps for 20 wall textures, you need only 1 bumpmap for 20 wall textures :D).

Problem on Unreal is, that if you set a standard texture to own a bumpmap, the texture package will be different, so you better export the standard texture, reimport it into another package and, then, let it owns a bumpmap. [Probably this could be fixed with a script, hoping the bumpmap is not a constant].

EDIT:

Code: Select all

var(Texture) texture BumpMap;    // Bump map to illuminate this texture with.
Rly good, BumpMap variable is not a constant, I will provide to create a script that changes bumpmaps at runtime, so there will be no need to create another package for the standard textures.
sn260591
Average

Post by sn260591 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:Rough as it may be, but I am glad to see someone try and take advantage of the newer features we have to play with.

No eheh, 923KB of Textures with BumpMaps, Bump maps are made on purpose to avoid big sizes(for textures and maps), that's the cool thing, instead of adding 30 bricks and increase the map size, you make a bumpmap that makes the CPU calculates lightmass like that surface is made of 30 bricks, and the cool is that you can use that bumpmap on every texture, making any texture you want looks like having 30 bricks(This means, you don't need 20 wall bumpmaps for 20 wall textures, you need only 1 bumpmap for 20 wall textures :D).

Problem on Unreal is, that if you set a standard texture to own a bumpmap, the texture package will be different, so you better export the standard texture, reimport it into another package and, then, let it owns a bumpmap. [Probably this could be fixed with a script, hoping the bumpmap is not a constant].

EDIT:

Rly good, BumpMap variable is not a constant, I will provide to create a script that changes bumpmaps at runtime, so there will be no need to create another package for the standard textures.
Not necessary to edit packages. D3d10 can use external textures http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/page2.htm#overrides
Example:
d3d10_test.zip
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

It is interesting that you did a map with the "new" bump mapping feature and I do think it looks pretty cool (though, the crates look a little bit too detailed imo), but why this one? This map looks lame, even if it has its "history" :tongue: (Don't take this too seriously, I can imagine improving only these few textures took a lot of time!)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sn260591 wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:

EDIT:

Not necessary to edit packages. D3d10 can use external textures http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/page2.htm#overrides
Example:
d3d10_test.zip
Wow... I didn't know about this feature, Thank you very much :D
Do you know how to create these dds texture maps?
sn260591
Average

Post by sn260591 »

Paint.NET has supported dds.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sn260591 wrote:Paint.NET has supported dds.
I tried Photoshop CS6, and it didn't support dds :/ I'll use Paint.NET :) Ty
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

DDS files are not supported by many programs. You add a plugin to get support
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop
https://developer.nvidia.com/gpu-accele ... ompression
https://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools

XnView http://www.xnview.com will load and save DDS files
Irfanview can only load DDS files.

UEd2.1 can create DDS files during import. UEd3 and above can compress the texture within the texture browser.