[SOLVED]Which laptop to buy between these 2 ones?

Discussions about everything else
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

[SOLVED]Which laptop to buy between these 2 ones?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Hello. I need a little :help: XD
I know, probably this is not the right forum to ask it but, you're still all humans so...
I have to buy a laptop today, I focused for weeks on this one: http://www.amazon.it/Asus-N551JW-CN317H ... 1JW-CN317H.
Today, my bro called me and told me he found this other laptop: http://www.amazon.it/Asus-90NB08C1-M004 ... 1JX-CN043H, with a lower price, compared to the other Asus.
I give a multiuse to my laptop, I use many softwares from 2d drawing to 3d modelling, create music, games etc...
I checked the specifies(I'm sorry they are in italian language), seems like the only differences are:
N551JW-CN317H:
  • Graphic Card: Nvida Geforce GTX 960M
  • Processor Model Number: I7-4750HQ
N551JX-CN043H:
  • Graphic Card: Nvida Geforce GTX 950M
  • Processor Model Number: I7-4720HQ

I, actually, found an inconsistence about both the processors: The processor "I7-4750HQ" is 2 years older than the "I7-4720HQ" one(or at least, that's what 2 comparation sites showed to my bro), is it true? o.o

What laptop do you think would be better to buy?
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: What laptop to buy between these 2 ones?

Post by Red_Fist »

Logically the newer chip would also have a more updated motherboard.

As for the video card, the only thing I think will matter nowdays is directx 12

I have a GTS-450 no not X, "S"

I do play older games, but even at that level nothing seems to run bad at all, I crank everything in games.

So probably go for the better chip, and not too much concern about the vid card. Later a new vid card will probably work better along with the newer intel.
Binary Space Partitioning
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

N551JW-CN317H:
€1199

Graphic Card: Nvida Geforce GTX 960M GDDR5

Processor Model Number: I7-4750HQ
This one has a slower CPU (link) but a faster GPU (link)
N551JX-CN043H:
€924

Graphic Card: Nvida Geforce GTX 950M DDR3

Processor Model Number: I7-4720HQ
This one has a faster CPU (link) but a slower GPU (link)

So the question really depends if you need a more CPU power or a more GPU power?

According to the Asus site both laptops have the I7 4720HQ chip N551JX N551JW so if I was you I would triple check that to be sure.

The performance difference between the 950M DDR3 and the 960M GDDR5 can be 9 to 40% according to this source LINK.

There is also a price difference of €275, and depending on your computer skills and how comfortable you are with voiding warranty AND how often you use the optical drive buying a nice SSD to replace the slow HDD and move the HDD to the place where the optical drive is using one of these LINK might be tempting as well.

TL;DR unless you tell us what matters to you (meaning more then a vague description of what software you use) we can only tell you the ups and down of both systems because the "better" one depends on what kind of a laptop you need.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Who are you calling a human?!?? :shock: :P :help:

*Edit. I have been evolving, and find that offensive. :mad2:
blarg
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

I would personally not buy a laptop anymore. You get way more for your money with a desktop pc, no bloatware and it is easier to replace components.
For the same price you can have a better cpu and gpu etc. for less... but idk if you need to travel with your pc (and it that case I would rather pick a laptop with a SSD as it has better resistance to vibration, besides being faster).
I had an Asus laptop before and it lasted for a pretty long time so far (4 years, but it is dieing now).
A thing to note is that the M versions of the 950 and 960 do NOT have the same performance as their non-M (desktop) versions. You can see a massive difference in performance in the benchmarks.

A site I really like to use to compare components is this one:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 09vsm20045

Overall, the 950M (GDDR5 version) is about 15 percent slower than the GTX 960M
Benchmarks: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960 ... e-GTX-950M

If I really had to choose...
I would go for the laptop with the better CPU, but if I were you I would look a little further and see if you can get some more for your money.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I bought the one with better vid card two weeks ago, it had a problem on the screen and was opened from the bottom -_-" and so I gave it back this week and it arrived to them and they will give me a substitute.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"