UnrealEd: Maximum file name lenght

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

UnrealEd: Maximum file name lenght

Post by Barbie »

I just wanted to open the file "H:\Games\UT\dev\MH-Monster-Planet\MH-Monster-Planet(+SB-Fix)\Maps\MH-Monster-Planet(+SB-Fix).unr" in UnrealEd and was surprised:

Code: Select all

Warning: Failed to load 'H:\Games\UT\dev\MH-Monster-Planet\MH-Monster-Planet(+SB-Fix)\Maps\MH-Monster-P': Can't find file 'H:\Games\UT\dev\MH-Monster-Planet\MH-Monster-Planet(+SB-Fix)\Maps\MH-Monster-P'
Is it correct that the maximum file name length is 78 only?
Cheers,
Barbie
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: UnrealEd: Maximum file name lenght

Post by memsys »

Ued does not like long total lengths. Something like "C:\game\unrealtourament\utGOTY\maps\work-in-progress\longmapname.unr" might not work but if the map is "C:\ut99\maps\wip\longmapname.unr" it might.
In short, try to load the map closer to the root of the drive (meaning closer to H:\ instead of inside of a folder or 5)

Ninja edit: not sure if the max length is 78 chars.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

78 sounds pretty close, as there is an absolute length. The engine will also spit out the reverse error if you go to decompile something and the target location exceeds this length. Also I didn't see it mentioned that you need to avoid any spaces.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Maybe get rid of operators in file names?
Also, package names can't have more than 63 characters.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

JackGriffin wrote:78 sounds pretty close
So SUBST (Windows) or MOUNT (*nix) can help, thanks.
JackGriffin wrote:need to avoid any spaces
I run into that trap earlier. :x
Also dots are dangerous if importing textures as I remember.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Unreal Engine name length is 63 characters (that would be the file name without directory or extension), while the earlier Windows limit was 255 characters (including drive, directories and file name with extension).
BTW: The '+' sign is a bad thing to include, as it may have special meaning in some cases. Remember that UnrealEd generally doesn't like special characters in path names. It is notorious for messing up when there's a space character somewhere, but I wouldn't trust it to deal correctly with anything but numbers, letters, underscore, brackets and hyphen.