Actors with duplicate names (MH-Ziki)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Actors with duplicate names (MH-Ziki)

Post by Barbie »

<Update 2016-02-11>
Map is fixed and can be downloaded.
</Update 2016-02-11>
----------------------------------
Yesterday I tried the map "MH-ziki" on my server, and it crashed it:
log wrote:Undeleted ExplodingWall MH-ziki.ExplodingWall3
Undeleted ExplodingWall MH-ziki.ExplodingWall2
appError called:
Mover MH-ziki.Mover30 (Function Engine.Mover.MakeGroupReturn:0000) Infinite script recursion (250 calls) detected
Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
FFrame::Serialize
Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap]
Aborting.
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down
So I've had a closer look at this map with UnrealEd and found several Actors with the same name (Teleporter0, Teleporter1, Mover30 and maybe some more):
MH-ziki-Mover30.jpg
It is not possible to select only one in the editor ("Mover Properties (2 selected))". I also exported the map as t3d and the textual presentation of those same named objects are identical line by line.

It might not be the reason for the server crash, but I was really puzzled that different objects can have the same name. How can this happen?

<edit>fixed URL for map download</edit>
Last edited by Barbie on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: Actors with duplicate names

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Does this happens with other maps too? If it does, then something really bad is occurring with Unreal engine or something of the kind.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

That was the first time I noticed duplicate names and I think that is map specific.
<addon>
I tried to rebuild the map with UnrealEd, but it hangs at "Rebuild AI Paths" with the message "Cleaning up".
</addon>
Attachments
MH-ziki-CleaningUp.jpg
MH-ziki-CleaningUp.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

If there's duplicate names, get rid of the map or all of the duplicate actors.
The engine is not supposed to have objects with duplicate names within the same outer.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

In the editor, why is there two triggerlights ?

I think I seen this before, not sure, but it's like an invisible actor. or something like that.

It's a mover inside a mover, I copied one I used (Mover31 also a double), and it give two names and two movers in a new editor. Each have the same keyframes
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

In the editor, why is there two triggerlights ?
Triggerlights? I cannot follow you... :noidea

Well, I think if you copy objects with the UnrealEd, it will take care of naming and look for a non existing name for new objects (just tested it). Maybe the mapper did a mix of copy and/or import.

Further investigation with a single line command

Code: Select all

for n in $(grep "Begin Actor " MH-ziki.t3d | sed -e "s/.*Name=//"|sort); do test "$lastname" = "$n" && echo $n; lastname="$n"; done
shows more Objects with the same name, even brushes:
bash wrote:ASMDAmmo4
Brush864
Brush865
ExplodingWall2
ExplodingWall3
Health10
Health8
Health9
LavaZone1
Mover30
Mover31
SpecialEvent5
SpecialEvent9
Teleporter0
Teleporter1
Trigger70
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

There are two "TriggerLight" in the stock, UT actor browser.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:There are two "TriggerLight" in the stock, UT actor browser.
Boulder ? It's not the end of world.
Nvm.
@Barbie,
Then checkout MH-MJD(fix) or something like this (probably fix version). See how many MonsterEnd0 has. Still wonder why MH is crashing ? Simple: Because of ass-holes infiltrated in UT as "mappers-helpers" attacking from inside (my opinion), because they cannot do nothing from outside being keept away by tools and Internet "trackers" + bans shared between admins. I said many times to many people to check stuff before saying: My Server. Stuff unchecked = Garbage server, and this is what people run into MH for years. I was trapped by such stuff until I realized that I need to clean all mess out and things are going to turn into an insane stability. You'll be surprised to see how stable can be MH if is loaded only with good stuff, not that "good stuff here" by Kaal. I mean really good stuff.
What sometimes I missed too:
- Levels with multiple LevelInfo (that's not shown in Editor by default);
- Pathing Screwed - server might crash randomly from a monster or using Bot you'll figure that in first 3 seconds - will avoid future headaches;
- Values uterly screwed at actors: Numerical float format loaded with letters and others and such things;
- Textures with alien material - read again;
- Some stuff set as bStatic, bNoDelete, bGameRelevant which should not be like that - from now on is fixable;
- Values from LevelInfo screwed for no reason;
Less:
- Unizoned Levels - lagging - nobody could read Zones chapter;
- Overidding maximum view polys allowed for good functionality;
- Multiple bruses in the same location for the same purpose (water surface or whatever multiple crappy portal);
- Non mapping actors added in Level: WayBeacon, CTFLevelInfo, SpawnNotify, and the rest which are not mapping stuff just dumbness;
- Movers toggling once but returned being double triggered in short time (damage blast), breaking;
- Order given to creature involving an unexistent state or a bad config eg: Queen - order Sitting. Stock Queen won't sit ever anywhere is just a dumb noob imagination who never read anything from scripts;
- Actors with meshes screwed spaming trash: Almighty IntroDude as a general amnesia - forgetting to check that stupid LOG. I'll fix that in some week-end.

We can debate also files involved (uterly trashes) - mrl.u as example, Bpak.u (already having multiple fixes). So try to avoid adding stuff containing string "fix" because usually doesn't include anything very fixed + files with Pawns having a problem with AnimSequence "Fighter" which might even crash some Linux (btw) servers.

MH's homework is huge. Is more useful working to fixes rather than useless "adds" + objects stacking for no reason.
I think I can do a simple Actor able to attack many problems.

What can I say: Welcome in MH land! :rock:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:There are two "TriggerLight" in the stock, UT actor browser.
Ahh, now I understand where you refer to. Yes, its similar, but not the same: IMO the editors Object Browser shows names of Classes (e.g. "ShieldBelt") while a map contains named instances of classes (e.g. "ShieldBelt0", "ShieldBelt1", ...). I guess that a flat name space for identifying an object is used per package or per map. This would result in unpredictable results if different objects have the same name. (I'd compare it to give all your children the same name. :D )

Back to the map: I'm trying to repair it because I think it's worth it - it is an eye-candy and not a cube-only one. While repairing strange things happened: I used "Search for Actors" as shown in the first post, selected one by double click but the Properties Windows said "2 selected". I chose Menu|Edit|Delete and expected that both selected Actors would be away - no, just only one; searching again for this name shows only one occurrence then. But after rebuilding, saving and reopen the map in UnrealEd the remaining one was away, too. :omfg:
sektor2111 wrote:Welcome in MH land!
Thanks for the warm welcome 8)
Yes, there seems to be a lot of sub optimal stuff out there, but don't be too strict with mappers: maybe they are UT players doing their first steps in mapping and coding - and hey - it's just a game and for entertainment. In opposite I've seen products of this quality in production environments, but that's another story.

Cheers,
Barbie
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You're welcome. Let's see some personal points:
- Being a noob at this mapping artistic chapter, I couldn't ever to duplicate actors in maps - ever - it looks messed in purpose and I'm not sure if original author did this mess (I found old discussions in some forum related to a "porter" clueless about TranslatorEvent and so on);
- Map overides "side node limit" so it's laggier than supposed;
- Map seems impossible to be pathed (AlarmPoint-s, HomeBase-s, AmbushPoint-s, etc.) due to some solid in solid in solid brushes already done and proved trash in over-sized Levels;
- The most important MH thing is that green trigger named MonsterEnd which here seems to not exist (I might wanna add on-screen information from some Loque, Kira, when this issue exist - not because I need it, but because of over-info). So this won't be ended or perhaps all 16 players joined in MH will suddenly awake in Vortex (better than 1 PlayerStart as this level has).

Looking at a few brushes... meh, looks a very hard job or unknown Vertex Editing. And now Man on Duty aka Person of Garbage aka Me will delete this 8 MB of trash from HDD. :mrgreen:
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I know that copy+paste can result in different actors of the same name. Normally, it doesn't occur; when you duplicate, too, the names normally will be different. But it can happen since UnrealED apparently wasn't prepared for the ctrl+c/v commands. So, importing the stuff (whatever it is in that map) should've better been the original author's choice here. I guess you can differentiate their names by recreating the movers. Sure, it is laborios, but also error-free :mrgreen:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

and what about the build getting stuck on "cleanup" ?

all you need to do is copy the doubles in a new editor, delete the old ones in the map, and re paste back from the new editor, the names would renumber themselves.

But I don't want to go through trying to figure out why it gets stuck on the build.

ADD

I fixed the movers and brushes, and the ASMD ammo so far.

But all the unreal things should still be replaced with the UT things, weapons and ammo.

I bet the cleanup problem goes away once these duplicate actors are fixed.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:and what about the build getting stuck on "cleanup" ?
That didn't happen any more after duplicate Objects were deleted.
Red_Fist wrote:I fixed the movers and brushes, and the ASMD ammo so far.
Are you working on that map? I'm doing that also at the moment, and we should avoid double same work. If I'm through I can provide you the fixed map as a beta where you can have a look for errors and issues I missed.
Red_Fist wrote:But all the unreal things should still be replaced with the UT things, weapons and ammo.
This is usually done on servers side; I'd like to keep them to stay with the maps mood.

Cheers,
Barbie
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:- Map overides "side node limit" so it's laggier than supposed;
Where can I look up that "side node limit"?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

If actors with same name is already in a map, and build all wouldn't let it make the map... how would the map get 2 same actor name then?

Map edit with notepad or some other editing?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?