INIsDragons

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: INIsDragons

Post by Shadow »

Forum|User wrote:OFF:
Dr.Flay wrote:Unreal has been updated because Smirftsch has the 1 and only licence for the Unreal source.
What can happen if somebody have the UT99 source? Im really corious about this.
everything
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Shadow wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:Unreal has been updated because Smirftsch has the 1 and only licence for the Unreal source.
everything
Hahaha... yeah ...this would be very great.
I talked with Flak about a release of the source ...but all she could say was that they concentrate on the new UT4 and the new UT is free and so on... I couldn't even convince her to a release-model where the source will be given to a handful trustworthy member only.

I think this will never happen because they fear the competition :twisted:
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

papercoffee wrote:
Shadow wrote:
everything
Hahaha... yeah ...this would be very great.
I talked with Flak about a release of the source ...but all she could say was that they concentrate on the new UT4 and the new UT is free and so on... I couldn't even convince her to a release-model where the source will be given to a handful trustworthy member only.

I think this will never happen because they fear the competition :twisted:
Who's Flak?

In my opinion the statement that they can't release the UT source because this would reveal older codebase on which the other engine versions are build of is utter bullshit, the Unreal 227 project is the best example against that - I more and more think that they simply don't have time to care

Anyway, great dragons btw!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Shadow wrote:Who's Flak?
She is one of the higher ups at Epic and one of the last remaining developer of the old UT99 ...as far as I know ...but Dr.Flay can contribute more information to this matter. He talked to her many times when the Epic master server was nearly down.

tl;dr ... :mrgreen: click me!!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Flak is the community manager so she can't make decisions like that I think.
For those kind of questions you should go to someone higher up, maybe Steven Polge or Tim Sweeney?
But I'd doubt that they want to make changes to an old game or take a risk with it. So you need to be very convincing.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It's an old game and there's no monetizing it so I can appreciate Epic's decision to forgo support. Also I think a lot of people forget that there are still multiple active licensees for the Unreal engine versions. You just need to look at all the games still for sale that were built with it. If Epic were to release the source code it will hand over the keys to those game assets too.

Now, GTFO of my thread. This is about Dragons. :lol2:
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I have actually wondered if it would be better changing the allegiance of the secret dragon.
The first encounter is probably always the same.
"Really ? will that actually.....? Oh yes it does"
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

There is a very interesting (and what should be pretty obvious) back story for the hidden dragon. Bear in mind that this is the same maker of the "Rainbow Rifle" and it all starts to become clearer.

One thing I've almost always steered clear of is dealing with or advocating for any particular position on socio/economic issues. I've just felt that the game should be an escape from all of that and we can all participate in a place that judges you on ability and skill and not what your views are on hot button issues. That being said Iniquitous' hidden dragon was a subtle nudge advocating for a particular position on certain current events.

Ini and I have talked about this at length and I have asked him bluntly to what extent I can continue this. I fully plan on the same 'thing' for the hidden dragon but I wanted to be overt where he was more sublime. My concerns were that I would unknowingly offend or disrespect when my real aim was to offer a level of support from within the context of a fun monster. We decided that I'll go a couple of steps farther but overall it will still rely on association versus patent confirmation. Ini felt this was more comfortable and I will certainly respect his thoughts.

I've been storyboarding both the Ion Dragon as well as the hidden one so it's coming together as we talk. This is something I want to get right so I'll be taking time and care with it.

Oh, more work done:
N7U4z1vN8jI

Think I might have overdone the Fire Dragon. He's just plain nasty, you won't be getting away from him.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

The ice, earth and nature dragons are too similar regarding the kind of attack ...for my taste.
Ice-Dragon would be cool if it could shoot icicles, which can freeze the player like the freezer from NW3 (random occasion).
And Nature-Dragon could spit goo which let flowers grow.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

papercoffee wrote:The ice, earth and nature dragons are too similar regarding the kind of attack ...for my taste.
Ice-Dragon would be cool if it could shoot icicles, which can freeze the player like the freezer from NW3 (random occasion).
And Nature-Dragon could spit goo which let flowers grow.
Those are nice ideas PC.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Nature dragon already does that. It spawns grasses, flowers, even butterflies, fireflies, and rabbits. If you watch the video again you'll see it now.

The dragons are all part of a family and I know there are similarities but that's the way Ini made them. I was concerned I went too far off center to make the wind dragon the way it is. I get what you are saying though. TBH because this will be restricted to 227 I don't see them getting any more use than the Christmas monsters did (zero). It's just fun to make them.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

If its not fun, why bother?
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

This guy gets it ^
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Nature dragon already does that. It spawns grasses, flowers, even butterflies, fireflies, and rabbits. If you watch the video again you'll see it now.
I know ...and this effect is great but is applied quiet unostentatiously.
JackGriffin wrote:The dragons are all part of a family and I know there are similarities but that's the way Ini made them. I was concerned I went too far off center to make the wind dragon the way it is. I get what you are saying though. TBH because this will be restricted to 227 I don't see them getting any more use than the Christmas monsters did (zero). It's just fun to make them.
MrLoathsome wrote:If its not fun, why bother?
JackGriffin wrote:This guy gets it ^
When it's fun doing it ...why not improving it a little bit.

The Nature-Dragon could grow a forest of Nali trees ...where you get stuck if you are unlucky ...and suddenly a Fire-Dragon appears.
(I liked that his fire could burn the trees in the video) :wink:

Do this dragons fight each other or do they team up, if possible, to get you?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The 'amount' of nature is admin configurable. There are settings for adding dangerous forest creatures too. In testing I'm seeing some slowdowns (you can tell towards the end of the video) so I didn't go crazy with this. When the time comes I'll need some feedback to decide the default levels. It may be that my system is just anemic.

Dragons cannot fight each other (Ini's did not) but I set them configurable as to whether they will attack other monsters. They will nearly always choose to attack a player though, even if they are across a map.

BTW I took your advice and added a freezing option to the Ice Dragon. If his primary ball hits a monster, bot, or player they will be frozen in place then shatter a few seconds later.