New computer UT-blues

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

New computer UT-blues

Post by EvilGrins »

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Everytime I logout of UT and then go back in, no matter what gametype I was in or what map I was playing with whatever mutators... it always starts with the same monsterhunt map.

What's forcing it to keep going back to that?
Last edited by EvilGrins on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTX
Skilled

Re: New computer UT-blues

Post by UTX »

The only times I had the same map repeatedly was whenever I didn't add XMaps to my mutator list since I have the map lists empty and so it goes back the the first map on the list.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

A read-only INI file?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you are accessing the game via editor and not through the normal mod menu it will access the 'saved' options for that gametype you last used. For instance if you are editing an MH map and you click to playtest it then it will load the number of bots you chose in the last "real" MH game you played (as well as the mod loadout, etc). The engine can be sticky like that.

If you are getting this behavior when loading the normal way then you have problems somewhere in your ini files. Knowing your love for mods it's probably a conflict so it's likely you'll need to generate new ut.ini and (prolly) user.ini files to test if that's the issue. If that clears your problem then you know something is wrong in there.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I can create purposedly such thing in UT.ini as follows

Code: Select all

[URL]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=UT-Logo-Map.unr
LocalMap=CityIntro.unr //Put here MH-Templar
[Engine.Engine]
DefaultGame=MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt
DefaultServerGame=MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt
Now if I hit UT's Shortcut I will automatically play MH-Templar (depends also on Level declaration), without to see menu or other things by default. See if you don't have ini file screwed like this.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Higor wrote:A read-only INI file?
Look for this first.
blarg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MrLoathsome wrote:
Look for this first.
I'm totally agree, but take in account that even if file is not read-only, if went screwed as I was showing before, all the time UT will do the same thing at start because those values won't be changed and saved as other values.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Also note that if UT is installed in C:\Program Files (x86), it will have to be run with administrator privileges to get write access to its INI files. (Don't trust Steam or the Unreal Anthology installer to pick a folder for you. Spaces in folder names are tricky with Unreal Engine 1, anyway.)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hmm yes, points to remember on a modern Windows. Which version do you have ?

1) Just as Wormbo says, so always install to C:UnrealTournament or similar.
2) Disable "DEP" for the game and editor
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... n-settings
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 1d0?auth=1
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

As it turns out...
MrLoathsome wrote:
Look for this first.
...that was it.

Hoping that's only it as there's other things I'm dealing with.

I've been forced to play bot matches only so far because the new keyboard I got (new system has USB ports instead of the usual plugin so I had to get a new one) is a bit smaller than what I had before and the keys (largely I only use the mouse for sniper stuff) aren't all in the same position. I either need to significantly adapt my play to it or get an adapter for my old one... though the old keyboard needed to be replaced.

That's more a me thing.

Guy who made the new system for me (don't have specs handy as I'm at work) also tossed in a 2 foot wide screen... which is BIG; almost needed a new desk. Ran into what I took to be another issue, or issues, while viewing. Ingame the screen is very VERY VERY dark. On dark maps it's hard to see anything at a distance, even more of a problem in other gameplay aspects; although colors are seriously jacked up to way too colorful. Naturally I tried brightening under options (or just tapping F11) but that had no effect...

...intended to take screenshots to show but the ones I did look perfectly normal, making me think it may have more to do with how the monitor is handling things ingame.

My new graphics card, grabbed on the run by my fixit guy, is a Radeon R7 250 (for whatever that's worth).

This may also be a screen thing, too soon to tell, but things ingame seem shorter and thicker... or not playing for so many months and my perspective is a bit off.

Started off with Win7 when I got it back, but it upgraded to Win10 yesterday which is still weird to me.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The dark screen issue is probably because you have a fresh new Windows.
To fully support DirectX 7, 8 and 9 you will need to use the "DirectX End-User Runtime", to install the missing files.
DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=35 (286 KB)
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (95.6 MB)
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I may've spoken too soon. Would've noticed this earlier if I'd selected a different option.

Initial issue turned out to be some of the UT .ini files got switched to being Read-Only, which was an easy fix. However it turns out there may be more of those and I'm too distracted by work and the holiday to work out this next bit.

I use a mutator called MapRandomizer, which does exactly what it sounds like. It either plays all maps you have randomly, of whatever gametype you're playing, or just the maps from your selected "maps cycled" list.
The maps on the right, as anyone knows, are the selected maps I had initially.

Problem is I've changed the selected a couple times but after I exit UT and then go back in later... it's swapped them back to what's in that screenshot.

I'm too tired to find it. Which .ini file is it that's giving me this problem?
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Just set ALL the ini files to be not read-only.

Re: New Monitor.

You might want to check to see if the monitor has its own built in config menus where you can set
Brightness/Hue/Gamma etc. (You probably looked at that already....)
blarg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't like USB keyboards, get a regular cheap one.

Between BIOS and windows and drivers and it has to clog up another USB port and go through contortions before the keyboard works. The actual signal has to be modulated within the USB signal rather than a straight keyboard pulse press button right to the chip.

The signal and it's path is so manipulated, in comparison to a normal keyboard press.

A regular keyboard, motherboards already have a specific chip just for keyboards alone. I have a new USB keyboard, nasty, and went to the thrift store and got a new regular one for $3.

Make the whole directory under security for, users, and admin, all folders and files.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

MrLoathsome wrote:Just set ALL the ini files to be not read-only.
Current difficulty is the .ini files are Read-Only due to the transfer, if you go into their properties where it says they're "Read-Only" it says they're not... even though they are.

I need to make new ones and copy the content from the previous ones.

So, again, which .ini file do I need to change that controls the Maps Cycled selection?
Red_Fist wrote:I don't like USB keyboards, get a regular cheap one.
...and for that I would need an adapter.