Newb help. Custom mutators.

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Eacos
Novice

Newb help. Custom mutators.

Post by Eacos »

Hello UT99.org, I am Eacos, long time UT99 player and admirer.
I'll get to the point.
I downloaded Nali Weapons 3, and I want to make them work for a LAN game I'm hosting with my buddies.
When I start up a server, Nali Weapons 3 enabled, my other buddies can't see any of the weapons.
I'm having trouble getting this mutator to work on all three computers.

I would be grateful if anyone could explain, step by step, how to get this mutator to work for lan games.

Thanks in advance.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Newb help. Custom mutators.

Post by papercoffee »

All of them have to install this mod.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Make sure you have any required NaliWeapons files in the servers UT.ini file.
In the ServerPackages section.
blarg
Eacos
Novice

Post by Eacos »

Thanks for the replies, but I'm a total noob when it comes to mods, mutators, etc.
I've installed the mod on all computers. The thing is, when I create a LAN game on my PC, mutator enabled, the other PC's seem to show no weapons, not even default ones.
I've seen client installers, and something called server redirect files. I've downloaded the latter and it's full of .uz files.

I've extracted the files to the systems folder, but it still won't work.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

For just a lan game, you should not even have to mess with the uz files if all the pc's have the weapons package installed.
Pretty sure you just need to edit the UnrealTournament.ini file, (Located in your UT\System folder), and add any required lines to the ServerPackages
section there. Then all you LAN clients should see the weapons. (Same as for other extra skins, weapons or mutators you may be using...)

Doublecheck the readme.txt or whatever other documentation for the Naliweapons stuff that was included.
If Feralidragon didn't put a few notes in there somewhere about how to use them online/Lan I would be amazed.
blarg
Eacos
Novice

Post by Eacos »

Thanks for the reply, LoathSome. I've added the lines to the UT.ini file. Now the weapons are showing up on the other computers, but I'm getting a Bad Index error.

As soon as I start moving around, a text pops up saying "loading remaining assets". As soon as that happens, it crashes to desktop with the Bad Index error.

Sorry about the mess!
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Sounds like you are on the right track now for sure.
But I have actually never setup the NaliWeapons stuff on a server myself. (Others were doing that, and my servers had too much stuff already...)

Pretty sure there is somebody else here with a bit of NaliWeapons setup experience here that can point you at the lines you need to add for those
errors to go away.
blarg
Eacos
Novice

Post by Eacos »

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try downloading the Umod version, uninstalling everything and defraging. It's sure to work.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I've run NW servers, Loath is right in that you are very close. NW loads all of it's assets at game start so there is very little hitching when you switch weapons or spawn effects. The crash means that one or more of the assets isn't loading right. Reinstalling everything might be the best idea. In fact you might create a play install that works then clone that folder to the other computers. THEN add the serverpackage lines, etc to the server installation and set it up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: 1 - It's all the in ReadMe.txt file: "5. Server setup".

2 - It's also in the FAQ.pdf file (Help\NaliWeapons3\FAQ.pdf), and here's a direct quote from it:
"11 – When I start a new online game with this mod to play with my friends, all the weapons are invisible to them. How can I fix this?
You need to add this mod ServerPackages to your UnrealTournament.ini.
More details on this can be found in the main document NW3.pdf relative Server Setup."

3 - And the FAQ question above directs to NW3.pdf in the same folder.

No one ever checks the FAQ lol.