Nuclear Races

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Nuclear Races

Post by Dr.Flay »

Should have known \m/etalfist would be up to speed with the status.
I see Shawn's updates on Linkedin, so I know real life is more important.

For N.R. I fear that without enough experienced mappers, a competition is pointless.
It would have to be promoted cross-site before launch so enough talent could make it viable.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I took a slight stab at possibly getting Rex's attention:
Hey, you never know.

So since this came up again I spent today (really slow at work) looking NR over and seeing what there was to see.

As you race along the "track" you go through a lot of tubes:
That open space along the left side? Is there a window there or is it really open? Player could creatively cheat by getting off the track and taking a shortcut.

There's a list of acceptable mods to race with · http://www.moddb.com/mods/nuclear-races ... ods-7-2012 · but they don't all seem workable. Quantum Jets, for example, are different from RX & Strangelove; if one of the wings even scrapes a wall it will crash. That tends to kill the pilot too.

Redeemers are bad too as you don't travel with the missile...

Watching the videos in this thread shows that players can shoot each other down, which made me think of possible map edits and other means of transport.

Alternate Flying Options:
· Hard to find but there's a Superman mutator which lets players fly and shoot heat vision.
· As JackGriffin knows, there are coop mutators that can let players play as Unreal1 monsters. Picture flying that course as Warlords.
· There's a RedWings mutator that gives players... well, red wings.
· At certain crucial parts of the raceway you leave groupings of Krall, to fire at players as they pass by. Or maybe Mercenaries.

It might be too hard to make newer maps for it (though there's a guide for how to do it) but there's likely plenty of existing LARGE maps to customize for it. Going over the videos here, just need to setup flags to record laps around the "track".
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
<GF>-REX!!
Personal rank: Nuclear Flagman

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Nuclear Races was planned to be a racing mod that let you choose how you wanted to race. SLV was used for most of the promotional material, but I tried my best to make it work with as many weapons/vehicles as possible. The codebase eventually got too much for me to keep track of and I got frustrated and gave up on it. Especially with the random multiplayer bugs and my lack of understanding how to code HUD stuff. :tongue:

If anyone is interested in taking over, I'll gladly point you in the right direction. I haven't touched NR or even UT in years now. :oops:

There were also some rather sweet maps being made for NR. Maps by Madis, MetalFist and a couple others. I had a few I was working on as well.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

C'mon, give a little push, maybe I can help? Please note I am not very good at this, neither at HUD, either :(
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

There are a few hidden gems in the UT modding world. This is very certainly one of them. It's good enough to be it's very own game and it's a shame if no one picks it up. Come on guys, someone that loves flying jets or playing a competitive game with less DM flavor...this could be for you.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Thanks for your reply and explanation GF-REX.
If code must be fixed in order to correct some bugs, I think it doesn't make sense for now to work on mapping or eventually setup some mapping contest for NR (even though it would be cool). Anyway, as many people worked a lot on this (GF-REX, Madis, MetalFist and I suppose many others), imho it would be really a pity to lose forever such an amazing mod. The SLV used for promotional material is just fucking awesome ! I totally agree with Kelly, this is for sure a gem in the UT modding world, a gem that should see the light of the day.
I'm not an expert programmer so I can't help in fixing bugs but maybe there are here some cool coders who might take a look at your work later to make the appropriate corrections. I'm aware that the base idea of racing with almost anything is so great but at the same time is also very challenging: what if, in order to achieve completion, someone considered to support only one mod (like SLV) ? this is just my 2cent...
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I took a really hard look at the source code P and it helps to think of NR as a gametype and SLV as a mod of that gametype. Don't think of it as trying to limit things to SLV or jets or really any vehicle. In fact you could make this a jogging simulator lol and it would still work. That's the beauty in the way Rex made this. I wouldn't give that up. Also it's simpler to think of as an isolated gametype and not even think of the vehicles. All that can be dealt with by the mappers. The mod coder would only need to compensate for the laps, winner, stuff like that. How you get there is really not even relevant.

Does all that make sense? I hope so.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

JackGriffin wrote:Does all that make sense? I hope so.
yes, it surely does, I think this is the right way :)
GF-REX has explained it before in his post but, as he wrote "I tried my best to make it work with as many weapons/vehicles as possible", I only thought that some code problems derived from this...
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

EvilGrins wrote:That open space along the left side? Is there a window there or is it really open? Player could creatively cheat by getting off the track and taking a shortcut.
It's a window, player's aren't supposed to get out of those tubes.
EvilGrins wrote:It might be too hard to make newer maps for it (though there's a guide for how to do it) but there's likely plenty of existing LARGE maps to customize for it. Going over the videos here, just need to setup flags to record laps around the "track".
It's not really that hard to make new maps with it, just put some zoneinfos/player starts in it and adjust the parameters (in the latest version).
Also you can first make modular pieces like a straight end - bend left/right - prefabs and use these as lego parts for your track. This was also done by Madis with NR-Roadracer.

Here are some of Madis' (NR) maps: http://maruvapper.blogspot.nl/2015/06/l ... or_25.html
And some screenshots of a (basicly done) Mario level:

And a Wipeout inspired map (Anulpha), btw its giant:

And I also made NR-Lumen, which features 180 degree vertical turns
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I have had conversations about Rocket-X with Higor. Higor stated some excellent ideas on perfecting the flying mod which could help refine SLV. I had suggested that there be gametypes around this such as racing, and coop racing(which would be like a relay had off flag or whatever item once a player reaches his destination to other team player) which both would clearly need custom maps.

I would love to help with this if I ever find time too. I have way too many other projects I'm still working on at the moment but I really love these ideas.

P.S. I would be willing to spare time to help with Hud and Models if needed.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Metal, that map by Wipeout is SWEET! Very TRON-ish.

At the link in my last reply it gave a list of suggested ways to race, not all of which included flying.

Ground-ish Racing
· Running & using a Grappling Hook
· HoverBat (some kind of jeep)
· MatrixMoves mutator
· PortalGun
· Rosebum Cars (REALLY hard to find)
· Running & using translocator

While flying works best for the map in the videos of this thread, but there's clearly other options. If you were to use the running route it'd be handy to have those speed-relics randomly throughout the map.
Dr.Flay wrote:I fear that without enough experienced mappers, a competition is pointless.
That was mostly a lark. "Map-contest" is my current default suggestion to any random thing... like how I used to poke at Ferali with NW4 before NW3 was even completed.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote: I would love to help with this if I ever find time too. I have way too many other projects I'm still working on at the moment but I really love these ideas.
This is in your wheelhouse and I'd be hard pressed to think of someone better equipped to understand what would be needed. No one on this board has more time in a pilot's seat than you.
<GF>-REX!!
Personal rank: Nuclear Flagman

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

UTPe wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:Does all that make sense? I hope so.
yes, it surely does, I think this is the right way :)
GF-REX has explained it before in his post but, as he wrote "I tried my best to make it work with as many weapons/vehicles as possible", I only thought that some code problems derived from this...
Things work for the most part, the checkpoints are custom ZoneInfos and they can be set through config to allow either projectiles to activate them, or just players. It simply looks for 'projectiles' (and uses a configurable blacklist to filter out shrapnel and clips.) Now maps may have SLVs or SLV-related inventory items or triggers, but NR itself does not do anything specific to any one mod.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote:I have had conversations about Rocket-X with Higor. Higor stated some excellent ideas on perfecting the flying mod which could help refine SLV. I had suggested that there be gametypes around this such as racing, and coop racing(which would be like a relay had off flag or whatever item once a player reaches his destination to other team player) which both would clearly need custom maps.

I would love to help with this if I ever find time too. I have way too many other projects I'm still working on at the moment but I really love these ideas.

Sweet! Thanks. Any help is appreciated! :mrgreen:
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

JackGriffin wrote:
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote: I would love to help with this if I ever find time too. I have way too many other projects I'm still working on at the moment but I really love these ideas.
This is in your wheelhouse and I'd be hard pressed to think of someone better equipped to understand what would be needed. No one on this board has more time in a pilot's seat than you.
Indeed I have plenty of time invested in flying these mods. Here is some of the ideas Higor had in a flying mod gametype in comparison with siege.
SC]-[WARTZ: someday I'll make a gametype around RX with different game modes
Higor: it's about perfecting the basics
Higor: sometimes you need to rewrite a whole new backbone
Higor: sometimes you need to rewrite a whole new mod
SC]-[WARTZ: yeah thats the plan is to rewrite the mod entirely
Higor: Siege has had lots of base code rewrites, and remained visually the same
Higor: LC is, a mod rewrite compared to ZP
Higor: you have to weigh your options
Higor: in your case
Higor: RX is in your hands
Higor: you can prioritize a backbone rewrite instead of a mod rewrite
SC]-[WARTZ: explain further
SC]-[WARTZ: backbone as in gametype already built around RX as it is now
Higor: backbone as in 'generic machinery, system'
Higor: i was lucky enough to find a mode with a nice concept like siege
SC]-[WARTZ: i guess i better start taking notes
Higor: has many 'backbones'
Higor: building system
Higor: rule system
Higor: contructor
Higor: hud
Higor: all well defined
SC]-[WARTZ: agree it is nicely done
Higor: all could be rewritten one-by-one
Higor: let's talk about RX
SC]-[WARTZ: so use siege as a building block
Higor: backbone number 1:
Higor: player transport
Higor: number 2:
Higor: flight physics
Higor: number 3:
Higor: itemizing
Higor: player transport is a purely internal backbone, that can have huge effects on future code
Higor: i faced this with the constructor backbone
Higor: when i rebuilt the constructor to be able to read generic rules, it seemed insignificant
Higor: but then, the rule backbone was rebuilt, now a single value change on the ini completely shifted the way siege was played
Higor: maps could insert a desired (disabled) building in runtime
Higor: the constructor itself became dynamic
Higor: (and let's not mention that it's entirely clientside operated)
Higor: changing the transport code will open new possibilities
Higor: : propagate touch and bumps from the ship into components, or the player itself
Higor: : implement realistic ship-ship collisions
Higor: : have the ship control how damage is distributed (to player, to components, to itself)
Higor: : remove clientside jerkiness
Higor: then with that done, we can move to ship physics
Higor: RX has quick turns, and ships fly like players spectating forward
Higor: you can keep the quick turns, while making the ships behave like ships
Higor: back propulsion and stuff
Higor: also, you can implement bouncing
Higor: so you don't insta-crash
Higor: of course... you need to hand over a little control to the ship, from the player
Higor: also
Higor: read the walk and duck binds like my jetpack does
<GF>-REX!! wrote:
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote:I have had conversations about Rocket-X with Higor. Higor stated some excellent ideas on perfecting the flying mod which could help refine SLV. I had suggested that there be gametypes around this such as racing, and coop racing(which would be like a relay had off flag or whatever item once a player reaches his destination to other team player) which both would clearly need custom maps.

Sweet! Thanks. Any help is appreciated! :mrgreen:
I'm more than happy to help. I've had plenty of time with flying mods and have alot of source code from Rocket-X developments.

Been spending some time lately in Blender 3D modeling program and about to extract some models from Dues Ex for MH purposes
but would happily lend a hand in Nuclear Races because I see some real possibilities for this gametype. :rock:
Last edited by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm guessing with a mod like this that bots probably aren't gonna be pathed for it. I know, from personal experience, bots don't handle Strangelove, RX, or Qjets well at all... but in theory they could run any NR-map if there were pathing.