How to disable smoke of rockets ?

Discussions about UT99
Hauss
Novice

How to disable smoke of rockets ?

Post by Hauss »

Hi dudes i am back :loool: :tu:

I have little problem.My pc is old and when i see many smoke of rockets game lagging.Anyone know how to disable smoke ? :noidea :???:

THX :?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: How to disable smoke of rockets ?

Post by JackGriffin »

There is code internally to try and compensate for that. You can turn down world detail on your end to limit the effects but some will still show.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
aZ.Boy
Novice

Post by aZ.Boy »

I think you need this to disable it:

Code: Select all

SET UTSMOKETRAIL DRAWTYPE DT_NONE
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hi Hauss,
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it's worth trying

cheers,
Pietro
Attachments
nosmoke2.zip
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

aZ.Boy wrote:I think you need this to disable it:
PLEASE explain to people what SET commands do before telling them they should consider making changes. At the very least post the SET command that will return the default in case it's something they don't like. Using those commands is a really bad way to customize your game.
Hauss
Novice

Post by Hauss »

Code: Select all

SET UTSMOKETRAIL DRAWTYPE DT_NONE
I set it on console in game and i dont see any changes. :noidea
UTPe wrote:Hi Hauss,
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it's worth trying

cheers,
Pietro
Good mod but on many servers is disabled mods or what :( !
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Some Set can cause ACE kick...
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sn260591
Average

Post by sn260591 »

Hauss, try disabling MSAA. Sometimes MSAA may cause a low fps, when there is a lot of translucent sprites.
Hauss
Novice

Post by Hauss »

sn260591 wrote:Hauss, try disabling MSAA. Sometimes MSAA may cause a low fps, when there is a lot of translucent sprites.
Where i can find that ?
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

you could download liltweak.zip
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... dir=Tweak/

lets you disable rocket smoke, removes corpses, makes blood green and some more stuff. pretty sure ace doesn't kick with it either
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I understand you have an old PC, but please be advised that some tweaks are considered to be cheating on a server if they can give you an advantage.

UT99 was made for 200MHz CPU, Windows 9x, DirectX 7, 32MB RAM and 4MB graphics.
I also have a clean installed Win98 box with 450MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, and 16MB Graphics (DirectX 8 )
UT99 plays just fine on it.
Just how old is your PC ?

We can help you to optimise UT and possibly your PC so that it plays faster.
Q: What screen size are you using ?
Q: What is your GFX card and is it able to use DirectX 9 ?
Q: Did you check the BIOS to see if everything is set for basic compatibility testing or high speed ?
Q: Is Windows fresh or full of crap ?
Q: Is the real motherboard chipset driver installed, or are you using what came with Windows ?

Use the tutorial at the top of the site "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!"
Knowing what the important switches do will help you to fine-tune UT for either high quality or speed.
Upgrading to the new OpenGL or D3D9 renderers does improve speed.

Use a sensible screen size and do not go above 800x600.
Give your PC less to do. Disable anti-aliasing and mipmapping.

Some config changes give a speed boost but change the look of the game, so you may have to adjust the gamma.
Here is an example
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
OneXBlending=True
SinglePassDetail=True
SinglePassFog=True
UseMultiTexture=False

Over the years of fixing PCs, I have noticed that about 80% of amateur builds or re-installs are usually missing the motherboard chipset drivers.
Possibly about 1 quarter of the "professional" re-installs I have seen, are also missing them.
These are the drivers for the most important bits of the PC, the RAM, HD, AGP and PCI slots.
If you use the Microsoft originals from the Windows CD, they do not run at full speed.
I also find very often that the BIOS is set to basic optimised defaults, or not configured at all.

A notable recent job was built by the head of IT at a Sheffield steel factory. The customer complained it was always crashing and getting slower while he played WOW.
I installed the missing VIA chipset driver and rebooted.
Hooray ! The RAM and GFX slots now ran at full speed, The idle commands in the CPU work, and the fan now changed speed. He could now push his PC harder and faster without problems.

With older PCs, enabling some of the caches and extras in the BIOS can double the speed or more.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

It's probably a good idea to caveat some of that discussion Doc. Yeah UT was designed with pretty low specs in mind but it was never made with the idea a server would be playing with 400 monsters while NaliWeapons level 5 nukes are going off. Today's mods are a really far cry from what was played in the early days. Most of the mods people are playing today are overly rich in client generated effects. I'm running a P4 2.5 with 8GB of RAM and there are times that playing my coop server is a slide show. I know it's because of the huge amount of effects I'm being asked to render.

Honestly I'm amazed at how far you can push this old girl. She can take a thrashing and still play stable.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Honestly the most of good maps runs smoother for me P4 too. However some dumb Levels with a crap-ton of "optimized" things lags me and this is how I detect which Level can be drag in RecycleBin with SHIFT pressed.
For old machines effects, polys and missing drivers = NO GAME.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hehe, oh yes very true Jack.
I went with a base spec comparison, due to the vague meaning of "my PC is old" and "many smoke of rockets" (sounds like a native American's gamer tag).
Foe all we know Hauss has discovered the dual-rocket spam-o-rama weapon, and is running at the maximum resolution in software mode.
...*sigh* no Grins I don't have one for UT99 any more, and no thanks I don't want..... Yeees Grins I know, big-badda-boom-mega-multi-kill.
Are you even allowed near fireworks ?

I have a P2 98 PC near my head, a 32bit XP box to my left, and 4-core 64, Win 7 to the right, and under the bed an old Win95 mini laptop.
And downstairs I have 2 Amigas.
By some peoples standards the Win 7 box is old, but to mine I would say the 4MHz 128k ZX Spectrum I still have is old :mrgreen:
:shock:
Yes kids, we really used to play games and have huge amounts of fun in an amount of RAM so small that is now just the smallest hard disk block size.
128k was a beast compared to the more common 64 and 48k machines.
...but we had to spend the weekend typing them in first :(
Yup in ye olde dayes of yore, it was decreed that we would buy our games as books.
I leaned about the "joy of hex" :roll: and CRC errors at the age of 12.
(my dreams looked like "the Matrix")

.....*cough* :oops:
OK, back on topic.
Yeah I am aware that my current box will stutter with some of my UT setups, though partly due to 2 certain people resurrecting a hoard of Zombies!!! :tu:
and the fact I use between 10 to 25 mutators with most games.
Anyway, Hauss if you tell us more about the PC we can tell you what you should look at first.

.... mmmm "Big Chief many smoke of rockets", that tag sounds right for Papercoffee.
aZ.Boy
Novice

Post by aZ.Boy »

JackGriffin wrote:
PLEASE explain to people what SET commands do before telling them they should consider making changes. At the very least post the SET command that will return the default in case it's something they don't like. Using those commands is a really bad way to customize your game.
Good point sorry about that, Will consider doing that next time thanks.
Out of curiosity is there a better method if i may ask?

@Hauss
Sorry it didn't work my memory must be rusty, You should find it in liltweak but you might want to consider taking backup from your settings before testing anything.