The Oldunreal Lookup Table

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: The Oldunreal Lookup Table

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I just have one concern...

why in the sweet mother of forums did this new guy make a new account JUST to make this thread?? :wth:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For a simple reason.
Many of us were working in our very noobish times at something (mod, map, ect). There is not any need to spam ANY forum with 0 compilable stuff. If you don't understand a code, there are a mountain of mods non encrypted where you can find answers and examples. How many people do you want to think for you ? And finally I'm guessing you wanna say "I did this" ? Is pretty disturbing at a moment, I'm answering at some questions but when limits are pushed in spam style then I'm off with suggestions - my case as a peacefully conclusion. And I'm more convinced when are posted logs with failed compilations - this is not coding, is a sort posting content which none cares.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

UnrealGecko wrote: why in the sweet mother of forums did this new guy make a new account JUST to make this thread?? :wth:
FYI It wasn't just a single person that felt this way. There was a lot of code spammed across multiple forums, most of it duplicated. Flay did an excellent job explaining why this is a terrible idea. I think the community did a pretty good job of policing itself.

It's important to remember that question askers have a responsibility to ask clearly and concisely so that the amount of effort to understand and reply is kept to a minimum. Specific questions answered specifically, so to speak. That allows easy indexing and searching and keeps the clutter down.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It's not so much the point that was made as the manner in which it was done. It struck me as unpleasant and insenitive (notice the avatar?), bordering on the vindictive - there is really no need to hound and ridicule someone. If you want to deter people from asking for help, that is a great way of doing it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

As for asking help, is a simple thing to do first before spamming, think at 50 such "addicted to coding" persons doing the same thing, make an imagination effort about how will look a forum with a mountain of threads/questions having already answers + out of logic quotes. THIS won't help any new comer EVER.

( I've stopped temporary add_block trying figure what's the deal, usually I'm not interested about any avatar or other "links". Some avatars really don't make any sense so I've blocked all, excepting useless data loaded which don't help me either - this is my way: simple and clear )
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

OjitroC wrote:If you want to deter people from asking for help, that is a great way of doing it.
If you want to get right down to it that's exactly what it was designed to do. Yeah, it was a bit harsh and honestly I was a little "Ugh" when I first read it. My attitude towards the whole thing changed though after I took half an hour to craft an very nice message explaining the usual methods of asking for assistance. It was read then directly after that he posted that wall of text, ignoring almost everything I wrote.

I only speak for myself but it's good for people to remember that the guys who are trying to help don't get anything for doing that. When wormbo drops one of his knowledge bombs or Higor answers some obscure technical question or one of us lesser guys takes one of the softball problems, we are donating time and effort. Keeping that effort minimized is best for everyone.

OP's post was spot on if you look at the listed threads. It did seem a bit rough to me as a way to handle it but I was proven wrong by trying to do it myself in a less confrontational way. In a nutshell you are right OJ, and that's precisely why it was handled the way it was. If you can't ask correctly then perhaps you should consider not asking. There's no inherit right to be able to ask poorly any more than there's an inherit right to point out poor behavior.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

But he didn't ignore your message. You made it abundantly clear that he wasn't supposed to post tons of code when asking questions. He wasn't expecting any help, he was making a point to the OP.
JackGriffin wrote:Don't post any more code than absolutely necessary to ask your question. If it's more than three or four lines then you have a larger issue than posting code. Maybe reframe the question or ask another way. No one wants to debug 100 lines of code before they even can consider your question. That's just asking too much.
Given that he was defending himself instead of asking a question, you really shouldn't be going off on him for not reading what you wrote when you didn't do the same for him. If you said "don't post so much code, period" then it would make sense to be upset with him, but most of your message is about how too much code makes things difficult for the people trying to help. If LannFyre wasn't expecting help, then what's the problem?
UnrealGecko wrote:I just have one concern...

why in the sweet mother of forums did this new guy make a new account JUST to make this thread?? :wth:
This sort of thing has been done on OU and USP before, though the topics in question have been deleted. They know they're being assholes about it, that's why they hide behind new accounts.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

AlCapowned wrote:If LannFyre wasn't expecting help, then what's the problem?
You are confusing intent with behavior. No one posts multiple and complete code classes into a post, you compile that sucker and post the source zipped up. I tried to explain that to him and the VERY NEXT POST was a wall of code. Of course that's going to get called out. He irritated far more important people than me, I'm just the guy who decided to defend his position on the issue.

And I did not "go off" on anyone. That's a bit dramatic. We are having a discussion about posting etiquette, there's no reason to make it seem confrontational.
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

Wanting LannFyre not to mention you in any of his posts and then wanting to apologize to the guy who likely started this topic isn't a discussion about posting etiquette. If that's not "going off" on the guy then it's being overly dramatic (at best).

The entire message was about how much of a pain it is for coders, which is completely understandable. Unless there was more to the message (in which case I'm wrong here), it didn't come close to making the point that LannFyre shouldn't ever post walls of code. The one and only point that your message made very clear was that posting walls of code is bad when expecting help and why it is. It's not at all hard to see why LannFyre didn't think this situation applied.

If the OP or anyone else doesn't want to help LannFyre, that's fine, but there's absolutely no need for a topic like this. Don't like seeing that sort of thing? Don't read the posts or add him to the ignore list. If the "spammy" aspect to his topics were the real issue, the OP would have made a thread about another certain poster a long time ago.
LannFyre wrote:(not so much oldunreal, no hard feelings I just think I've gotten more help from here than there though they have helped me greatly in the past but certainly not a certain Captain Falcon)
More likely than not, the subject of this post or one of his friends got mad about this statement and made the post in anger. It's happened before - newly registered user and all.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

We are just going to go in circles so let's just agree to disagree and let this all go. There's very little potential positive and a ton of negative for a continued discussion. Time to put pitchforks away before this gets personal.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Could this thread be locked please? I get the general consensus, wont be coming back until I can make a proper post and have content that would actually work how it should (plug-n-play to the game folders). No more wall of text posts either.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

This thread is going nowhere fast. I detest having to lock threads, but it is looking very necessary.
As summed up nicely by Jack, we are simply going round in circles.
The original poster has no more interest in this thread by the look of it anyway.

Personally I can see no problem with LannFyre's avatar. A cat/human smiling with both thumbs up :noidea
What is vindictive about that ? Is there something about that character we should know ?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote: Personally I can see no problem with LannFyre's avatar. A cat/human smiling with both thumbs up :noidea
What is vindictive about that ? Is there something about that character we should know ?
I certainly have no wish to prolong this but add the following simply as clarification - No, there is no problem with LannFyre's avator - I was referring to the OP's avatar and its incorporation of the phrase used in LannFyre's former signature. By vindictive, I meant the action of the OP and the manner in which he made his point.