Using NumPad mouse keys for broken touchpad

Discussions about everything else
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Using NumPad mouse keys for broken touchpad

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hi all.

I would like to do a great announcement: I'm back to playing games thanks to Microsoft's creativity in turning the numpad into mouse keys when NumLock is off so I don't need to care with a broken touchpad crap! (except I won't be able to use numpad keys in the games, which is not such a big loss however, as the normal keyboard has more keys :P )

With this, I will be able to play UT normally (losing some key combinations :( ) and many other games! (Including SWAT 4 :DDDDDD)

Also, they cleaned the f*** out of the cooling fans, so no more need to turn down graphics details! (though a good game still doesn't lose on FPS :P )

tl;dr: Thanks Microsoft for a mouse replacement! :D Now I can PLAY :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

(for more information please refer to the link above.)

The only downside is I still have to train using a mousepad for aiming and knowing Num0 drags and NumComma drops :P
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Re: Using NumPad mouse keys for broken touchpad

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Wormbo wrote:Just wondering - why don't you just buy a new mouse?
:sleep:

BTW, I found out it's IMPOSSIBLE to aim with that mousepad; when I hold Ctrl to aim faster, it jumps as well; the mousepad 1) is imprecise as hell when holding Ctrl to aim faster and 2) is too slow when just holding the buttons normally; you can't move the mouse in a oblique direction (though the diagonal keys help A LOT).

It's also impossible to quickly move the 3D viewport with the mouse in the Editor, as Ctrl is actually the "move thing" button.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Gustl
Why not use a game pad? It's the same feeling as using keys only...
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

So many hard questions...

Weapon of Destruction
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Wormbo wrote:Just wondering - why don't you just buy a new mouse?
:sleep:

BTW, I found out it's IMPOSSIBLE to aim with that mousepad; when I hold Ctrl to aim faster, it jumps as well; the mousepad 1) is imprecise as hell when holding Ctrl to aim faster and 2) is too slow when just holding the buttons normally; you can't move the mouse in a oblique direction (though the diagonal keys help A LOT).

It's also impossible to quickly move the 3D viewport with the mouse in the Editor, as Ctrl is actually the "move thing" button.
Unbelievable.

You do realize that Wormbo knows more about Unreal/UT than probably anybody don't you?
(Although that is irrelevant for this simple issue..... :wtf: )

Do you even know how to configure your User.ini file for playing?

Pro Tip: Use a real external mouse for aiming. Use the keyboard for moving.

Have you ever actually played the game?
blarg
-=SoP=-axewound
Average

Post by -=SoP=-axewound »

MrLoathsome wrote:Wormbo knows more about Unreal/UT than probably anybody don't you?
this...
Seriously... age, mental health issue, geographic location and experience aside, who of sound mind doesn't listen when someone with this degree of knowledge speaks... You are ruining this community with your nonsense :(
aZ.Boy
Novice

Post by aZ.Boy »

Not sure if you are asking for advice or what? The questions aren't as hard as getting the point of the thread if you ask me. :loool:
Anyhow welcome back!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

You guys should take notice that at a moment he was blabbering in Higor's threads as well. I don't know your feelings but I respect Higor's hours spent for UT and community, I was saving some of those info threads in documents based on the Level of knowledge posted... No worries, if admins are in state "sleeping" I'll go that way too.
aZ.Boy wrote:Anyhow welcome back!
This might be under some discussions...
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

MrLoathsome wrote:You do realize that Wormbo knows more about Unreal/UT than probably anybody don't you?
(Although that is irrelevant for this simple issue..... :wtf: )
I believe it is entirely relevant. Who, if not me, would know that playing UT with keyboard only might potentially be suboptimal? :roll:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Wormbo wrote:playing UT with keyboard only might potentially be suboptimal?
FOV=360 helps maybe? :ironic:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm somewhat less impressed by this as I was already doing this. I use the same keys for ut99 that I used for Wolfenstein... and all 1st person shooters.

I've always used the NumberPad to move around. I use the 6 keys just left of it to look up [PageUp] and down [PageDown] and to center my view [Home].

I use A to jump, Z to crouch, Ctrl to shoot, and Spacebar for my alt-fire.

Really only ever used the mouse for sniping.

J,K, & L are my taunt keys.

[ & ] I used for strafing.

Q is for weapon drop, S is for Armageddon (mutator I use for LMS games).

Always been a keyboard player.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Barbie wrote:
Wormbo wrote:playing UT with keyboard only might potentially be suboptimal?
FOV=360 helps maybe? :ironic:

You are :twisted:

BUT, you said you can't enter numbers in a game, but isn't there a row of numbers on the keyboard. ?

The best combo is a gamepad-mouse, been doing that since 1992, but to use a gamepad ANY game.
Turn off the games joystick, get a program called "joytoKey" friggen flawless. I am so glad it works on 64 bit.

If there is any talk of laptops for gaming or a phone OR a console, you all can rot in hell, haha, it serves you right to suffer.

(minor 7/9 chords if you play guitar)
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I have every possible function in UT bound to "X".

I just push it and win.