CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dxnobsp1 [Beta]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dxnobsp1 [Beta]

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello Guy's,
Here is another CTF map that I've been working on for quite a while. Sometimes you just have to put it out there and take your lumps from the community. It's a pretty large CTF map, I like playing in low gravity with IG. All the weapons are included in the map along with regular gravity. When and if you fall from some of the high ledges you might die. Hopefully no HOM in the map.
Attachments
dxn6.jpg
dxn2.jpg
dxnt1.jpg
CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-DxBeta3.zip
(9.27 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx on Tue May 03, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dxnobsp1 [Beta]

Post by OjitroC »

It certainaly is a big map which, from my point of view, is good - I played TDM rather than CTF on it and had a good, long, enjoyable, hunting type game. So thanks for the new addition.

I see from the screenshot that it has the prefix DM, was that the original intention?

I also like the textures used, as these create a distinctive and coherent space and ambiance, though I do think that the floor texture, because it is such a strong pattern, is somewhat monotonous as it is used more or less throughout the map and only varies in a few places. I wouldn't say that it detracts from the enjoyment of the map, rather that a little more well-structured variation could enhance it. This, of course, is a personal, aesthetic view.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello Ojitroc,
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the original map is half the size and a DM map. I'm not sure which screenshot is referencing DM? Also, the texture can be replaced simple enough once I find another one. It definitely has some texturing issues, like on the giant cylindrical columns for the dual staircases. With a large number of sides of the columns, I'm not sure what to do to get them to align correctly, I've tried everything. And thanks for taking the time to check out the map its much appreciated.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote:I'm not sure which screenshot is referencing DM?
It's the screenshot that shows up in the preview window when loading the map in game.

After a few more plays (and good, lengthy games), I have noticed that some bots have a tendency to get in the water (on the top level, in the centre) and not be able to get out again.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Ahhh, the in-game screenshot, I will have to fix that. That is is actually a translocator spot to get to the shield belt on top of the pillar. I'll add a bitter fish school to take care of any bots that fall in the water.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote:Ahhh, the in-game screenshot, I will have to fix that. That is is actually a translocator spot to get to the shield belt on top of the pillar. I'll add a bitter fish school to take care of any bots that fall in the water.
I've learnt elsewhere that non-instant-death inescapable pits are really annoying and time wasters. Try adding a staircase or changing the water by lava? The latter will even be a good sorry for a fancy light effect. :)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote:I've learnt elsewhere that non-instant-death inescapable pits are really annoying and time wasters.
Preaching to the choir, bub.
EvilGrins wrote:Good mapping advice:
Always set it up so if players fall into the skybox they actually die... or they just get very stuck.
That can be so annoying.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

The screenshot you posted is not from my map correct?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think he is showing you a problem.

Slap some kill triggers down there.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:I think he is showing you a problem.

Slap some kill triggers down there.
Make the water deadly.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

It has never happened to me that I fell into a SkyZone by accident :omfg:. How can that happen if the brushes of play ground and SkyZone are separated?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Barbie wrote:It has never happened to me that I fell into a SkyZone by accident :omfg:. How can that happen if the brushes of play ground and SkyZone are separated?
Some dumb idiot that puts these brushes together. (No I'm not talking about Dx, he did an pretty nice job with the sky! :gj: )
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Thanks man. I'm not sure how you fall into a sky box. :loool:
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I downloaded both Nali Temple and the Pillars maps, I like them, good job. :tu:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UTX wrote:I downloaded both Nali Temple and the Pillars maps, I like them, good job. :tu:
Aha...
910 PathNodes
Never been better...
Spoiler
:ironic: