UT2U1 - Loathsomes UT Tweak - v2.0 Final

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: UT2U1 - Loathsomes UT Tweak - RC4

Post by sektor2111 »

MrLoathsome wrote:Not sure on the bot issue with that configuration.
Neither me, but I think that can be rewritten with a subclass and doing crap at all calls to DeathMatchPlus(Level.Game).Something from known UT stuff...
PVS
Novice

Post by PVS »

sektor2111 you can play UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame with bots? I do not quite understand your last post, but if you can - please tell me how to do it.
Maybe there's a way add bots via the command line in the run bat file? I tried to search and experiment, but unsuccessfully yet.

At the moment, I am talking about only of the old game types: UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame, TeamGame, CoopGame and UnrealI.DarkMatch, KingOfTheHill. This old game types makes sense to to use only for Unreal maps on UT, I personally do not see any reason to use them for UT maps and a lot of errors/warnings in the log file appears in this case. Old game modes from UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u working itself, not additional modes needed, I think this question has long been known. For a long time I was going to try these modes, but only now began to look and experiment for yourself. In any case, I think, this game modes it's not a very interesting for everyone, but suddenly... I encountered with the following problems, using the standard installation of UT 451 for experimentation:

1. Unreal DeathMatch (for example) does not appear in the UT menu. This is easily be solved if in int-file instead of MetaClass=Engine.GameInfo use MetaClass=Botpack.TournamentGameInfo. Then it is possible to select and start U1 Deathmatch game from the UT menu.

2. Now, if select Deathmatch game type -> Bots Configure - visible only U1 bots, may choose their class/skin but the models are not displayed in the window, at this moment in the log writes the following: "Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name, Warning: Failed to load 'Mesh None.': Can't resolve package name". If start the game - bots does not appear in the game.

3. Parameter "Time Limit" from the game rules - not work for this Deathmatch game type in UT. I do not even know - in Unreal time of the match goes ahead, in UT is counted down. May be in it problem and there is a conflict in the work of this game type on the UT?

4. If start UT-server in UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame mode and with original Unreal DM-maps - this server can not upload Unreal maps for client, i see message "Download DMCurse.unr not allowed" on the client. Guys, I think this is a known issue, it is possible somehow solve? I have not found a solution, although looking at different forums. UT-maps normally upload for me.

About U1 Player models/skins and bots. In the beginning, I thought that something wrong with them in UT, therefore they do not work. But now I can add U1 bots in this old game types by using SwarmSpawn, also have the opportunity to use U1 Player models/skins, they work fine and for this not need additional modes. It follows that the the U1 models in UnrealI.u/UnrealShare.u is works, but there is a problem using them in UT in the usual way. Thanks MrLoathsome! I understand, that SwarmSpawn not designed to add bots to the game, but at the moment, it is the only way that I've found to do this in UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame.

In any case, use this old game types in UT normally impossible for me now, the problem I described above. So many years have passed, maybe exists is a solution to this, mod or mutator for this game types? Or they are so not interesting, that nobody paid them any attention or it is technically difficult to do in UT? It would be great, if the decision is still there and I simply have not found yet :)
RUSSIAN DESCENT OUTPOST
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PVS wrote:sektor2111 you can play UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame with bots?
You can play the game and maybe using a mutator for bringing up a Bot. I was looking over it an Nobody enter doesn't matter how you tweak things. Game starts but... I'm not playing against nobody so I'm not playing it.
Problem of UT is BotPack and that sorta TournamentPlayer which cannot handle Weapon (not TournamentWeapon) without spaming manure in client + unhealthy for server.
Then, those game-types are not in menu because we talk about UTMenu which is changed. But for dedicated servers "run-line" is dancing as you sing. Don't imagine functions the best ever. As you can see TeamGameplus itself from BotPack is not correctly coded, for Assault I don't dare to call it game-type.
Given fore-mentioned reasons I don't see why to not play some custom stuff as follows: Player class tuned to not more call TournamentWeapon term - leave it alone; running a subclass of a game-type more sanitized:
- running game-speed identical in client too;
- allowing old weapons;
- allowing monsters presence and tweaks;
- adding unexistent death messages (kill a creature, creature killed somewhere by nobody or by itself at a mover);
- all sort of weapon tweaks - (ruin properly weapons set bStatic or such garbage which cool mappers uses to screw up);
- native using Old Weapon support;
- game name is the same and can be browsed in UT Servers TAB and not only;
- etc.

Actually, like I said we can start such a test-game but is not the best ever thing, not a must do. Else Bots (NOT BOT) are other crap stuff spreading errors, I brought them using a SwarmSpawn, they cannot handle ImpactJump or such stuff as BOT does and I never see them using Translocator even they can fight well enough. So to speak JumpSpot just blocks them - bye to high spots with inventory, those dumb pawns won't get nothing from there in UT maps.
That's why I have a recall saying something "servers only for players" if I'm not mistaking...
PVS wrote: 4. If start UT-server in UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame mode and with original Unreal DM-maps - this server can not upload Unreal maps for client, i see message "Download DMCurse.unr not allowed" on the client. Guys, I think this is a known issue, it is possible somehow solve? I have not found a solution, although looking at different forums. UT-maps normally upload for me.
This is another story... Actually XC_Engine (for me is a default config need) looks able to send these even without redirect - described in doc and I'm not sure if Higor doesn't have right. Once completed that XC stuff (if something still needs revised) I will trigger Higor for making a "pack" (sort of Bonus back + completed INT files for accessing features easily later) with 2 docs: 1 basics about setup/start, 2 - extended description about features/hints/extracoding. That' s another story.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

A few years back somebody whom I am guessing would prefer to remain anonymous, tweaked the U1 DM
maps for me so they will work better with UT and UT2U1.
(Think only change made was to correctly adjust map prefix from "Dm" to "DM-" and rebuild them.....)

See attached.
Attachments
Loath.zip
U1 DM Maps for UT
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
blarg
PVS
Novice

Post by PVS »

I think this maps from your Loath.zip not converted or rebuild. If compare their in HEX with original U1 maps (for me with U1 Gold 226) - seen, that differs only in one ninth bit (01 instead 00). If look the original FUSION-MapPack from Epic for Unreal (January 1999) - all DM-maps in him have 01 in this bit (I found this map pack in ut-files.com and hope it not been modified), also all maps in Return to Napali. I think it's well-known technical feature, but not for me :) Anyway, I check mу U1 DM-maps and replace 00 to 01 in HEX on this bit - maps steel work on U1 and now normally upload from UT server too.

I do not have a hobby runs any game-servers, but now, when I'm testing something for yourself in this old game types I run a public dedicated server and play on it with bots. If someone happens to see server named as "PVS = Unreal Style DM =" in server list - you welcome, if interesting try join. I hope you can at least connect to my server, because I'm not an experienced admin, in server packages only MapVote3.04. I was looking for the servers running on the old Unreal game types like DeathmatchGame or other, but not found, if someone knows such servers - please tell me, I try join and play on a normal server.
RUSSIAN DESCENT OUTPOST
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

My servers don't need editing original Unreal maps to be able to transfer them.
And I'd rather avoid redirect poisoning as it happened with Dusk.umx
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

I am pretty sure those maps won't poison the redirect. You are correct, they were not rebuilt.
According to what I was told the only thing changed on them was the filename prefix so that it
would be easier to integrate them with other UT DM- maps for servers.
The issue at the time was not that they were U1 maps, but just the difference in the prefix.
No doubt there is a better way, but that is what we came up with at the time.

Any additional info on Dusk.umx? Are there "bad" versions of it out there?
blarg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

MrLoathsome wrote:Any additional info on Dusk.umx? Are there "bad" versions of it out there?
The map "MH-FromDusktilldawn" (no MonsterEnd, only a few Monsters) comes with the files dusk.utx and dusk.umx - re-introducing the known problem of identical file names that differ only in extension (like Organic, Warlord, Guardian, ...) Why don't we have a list of these file names anywhere? :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:Why don't we have a list of these file names anywhere?
Because it needs a maintenance guy, trash factory keeps working. Being annoying to read a forum, this "modding" will happen over and over again so it doesn't make any sense to list 10 pages which will go 100 and then 1000. Not to mention the same (stupid generic) names with different content... quake3.utx, predator.u as bad examples.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Chamberly was working on a list of conflicting files.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Here is my current viewpoint on "conflicting files":

The version of Dusk.umx that I have had on my coop servers for 15+ years is the correct one.
The version that was shipped with some defective MH map, is NOT the correct one.

In the future, if anybody has a mismatch when connecting to my servers, delete/rename your local file
and the correct one will be sent.

Problem solved. 8) :rock:

@PVS

It sounds to me like you really need to get 227 and run that. Look into it.
Just make a copy of your whole 226 UnrealGold folder, and install 227 on it.
(The next SwarmSpawner "Preview" release will run with 227. 8) )
blarg
PVS
Novice

Post by PVS »

MrLoathsome wrote:It sounds to me like you really need to get 227 and run that. Look into it.Just make a copy of your whole 226 UnrealGold folder, and install 227 on it.(The next SwarmSpawner "Preview" release will run with 227.)
You mean - why I play UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame on UT instead of playing on U227? :)
I do not know, it's just a hobby, something got me interested - work this old U1 modes on UT. And for what use SwarmSpawn in U1 for spawn bots task? U227 can do it himself, but UT not can...

I have long wanted to tell you that I found the little circumstances where UT2U1 not working correctly in this old game types, but you're right, it is not interesting and little useful. I do a lot tested these modes recently and can said - that the very small amount of UT mods (mutators, etc.) works if use this old game types and more often - they do not work at all. Even many UT console commands do not work too.

I say only one consideration: if one of the purposes of the UT2U1 is to work with old U1 maps - then you forgot to turn off "auto activation" function to U1 items (like jump bots, etc.). It turns quite the contrary - UT2U1 himself starts "auto activation" function, I see it UnrealShare.DeathmatchGame mode. But I think, you did so specially for UT gameplay and HUD? maybe...
RUSSIAN DESCENT OUTPOST
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Excellent. Just wanted to make sure you were doing what I thought you were.

When I wrote UT2U1, the idea of attempting to run the UnrealShare gametypes in UT had not even occurred to me.
Am sort of surprised that what you are doing actually works as well as it seems to be. :shock:

When I wrote this thing, my main goal was to just make the U1 and UT weapons and inventory/pickup items
all co-exist. And of course bypass the crazy default UT CheckReplacement abomination.

It does also tweak a few other settings, but nothing that anticipated running the default UnrealShare gametypes
in UT.

I would guess the reason some of the various UT console commands are not working for you with this, is that those
commands are usually handled by BotPack.DeathMatchPlus or whatever UT gametype, and you are bypassing all that.

Thanks for pointing out that issue with the auto activation feature on pickups.
(This feedback is both interesting and useful. Keep it up. :tu: )

There is 1 line of code I need to take out of UT2U1. I can't even remember why exactly that is in there, but it will either be removed or made optional.
The updated UT2U1 will be included with the next SwarmSpawn Preview Release.
blarg
PVS
Novice

Post by PVS »

If you can come back to UT2U1 work, maybe also be interested in the following situation: if to server on any UT/U1 game type and with UT2U1 -> join client and have any U1 player skin (Unreali.MaleOne, UnrealShare.FemaleOne, etc.) -> the client weapon not work/don't shoot. It is not important again, but possibly it's too easy fix too, I hope :)
MrLoathsome wrote:Am sort of surprised that what you are doing actually works as well as it seems to be.
I don't do anything special and complex, all old U1 game types remain in UT, they almost normal work, not additional modes needed. If you have any questions on this task - maybe I can help?
RUSSIAN DESCENT OUTPOST
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Are you setting the UT2U1.ini variable bU1GunFix=True?

That is supposed to fix that issue with the U1 guns not shooting correctly online.
blarg