Worried about the integrity of my game

Discussions about UT99
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Worried about the integrity of my game

Post by UTNerd24 »

So you may have noticed its been a long time since I came here. But for good reason.
I feel like UT has become less stable over the past years. As a result, as much as I didn't want to, I reinstalled the game. Thankfully I have the resources available in order to get back on track. However, there's a problem. UnrealED does NOT launch, and I need it to access advanced options until I find out how to do so In-game. Yes, there have been a few threads of UnrealED crashing in the past, but in my case, it does NOT display an error log. Instead it simply says it has "Stopped working".

So the question is, how can I fix these problems and are there any community patches or something similar I can use to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen in future?
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Worried about the integrity of my game

Post by Hellkeeper »

What patch have you installed? Use 436 as 451 breaks UnrealEd.
You must construct additional pylons.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

As I said in the original post, This is a fresh installation.
UnrealEd is still not working though...
Oh and good to see you guys again. :wink:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

UTNerd24 wrote:This is a fresh installation.
As usual logging is the key... ;o) Assuming you are using Windows - have you had a look at the Event Viewer for some helpful information? If there cannot be found anything: have you installed UT outside of %ProgramFiles% or %ProgramFiles(x86)%? AFAIR the newer versions of Windows have a kind of virtualisation if programs try to write there. Also playing around with the Compability Mode may help.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

Thanks for the info.
Didn't someone make a UnrealED 2.1?
Anyway, I have the Steam Version of UT99, so I assume I need to change the directory?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Ah, your problem is that UEd does not like the space in the folder name.
Standard install is /UnrealTournament/
Steam is /Unreal Tournament/

I recommend you install a second version for editing, so you can add everything you like to the game install without conflicts.

Yes there is an unofficial Unreal Editor 2.1: Extended Standalone Edition, compiled by a user at the HoF forum
UnrealEditorv21Setup.exe (291MB) http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=UEditor_Developing/
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

Dr.Flay wrote:Ah, your problem is that UEd does not like the space in the folder name.
Standard install is /UnrealTournament/
Steam is /Unreal Tournament/

I recommend you install a second version for editing, so you can add everything you like to the game install without conflicts.

Yes there is an unofficial Unreal Editor 2.1: Extended Standalone Edition, compiled by a user at the HoF forum
UnrealEditorv21Setup.exe (291MB) http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=UEditor_Developing/
I was about to download the UnrealED 2.1 installer, but Avast halted it saying it was a "Win32:EvoGen [Susp]"
I'm a bit cautious about this stuff so im worried it might be malicious.
To be honest, I only used the Editor to read the direct names of files/pawns/pickups for use in the Summon Command. EG: Swwmplatinum_xtra2.xsummonaod
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTNerd24 wrote:To be honest, I only used the Editor to read the direct names of files/pawns/pickups for use in the Summon Command. EG: Swwmplatinum_xtra2.xsummonaod
In which case, you could just use UT Package Tool (UTPT.exe) or UnrealServices Package Explorer (uspe.exe).
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Have DEP off for it?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

ut 99 was instable because of the older windows versions who where also very instable.
Unreaed was Always unstable but can run this editor without crashing i,m using windows 10 now.
As i can remember on mine older machines the unrealed was also running just fine.
I think there is a software problem on your pc.

both programs ut 99 the game and unrealed where alway,s unstable so far as i can remember.
and if i remember they are busy with the core of ut to make it more stable, i duno if the editor is also included with that program.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

Call this a Necrobump if you must, but I've been starting to see some new odd occurrences, Mainly in playermodels.

It seems that the kill definitions might be glitched, as with sans gore mods, headshots seem to cause two head gibs to appear, Some corpses stand up, and even non-headshot weapons can decapitate a player. I know in Unreal 1 bots can be half-blown up, which is normal, but Ive never known it to happen with the UT models. Once again, this is with NO gore mods.
It also seems that Chaos UT really messes with the bots AI, causing them to hug certain pickups and weapons.

EDIT: Its gotten worse. After 5 or so deathmatch games, models will sometimes Shuffle. For example, The deathmatch team was normal, except for medor, who I had set as a green Mercenary, and he appeared as a Female ISV Commando. Is it possible that I've poisoned my UT with too many mods?
This one doesn't happen very often but sometimes the sound goes out of sync/the console is delayed between sending a message and it actually appearing.