Enslaved for UT

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Enslaved for UT

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, I'm using that Single Player gametype as well so, as you say, I can use my normal UT mutators - though I just use the weapons and stuff that come with the map rather than using one of my StuffSwapper configurations or any regenerators except for a couple of relics. Also running oldskool which now enables me to save progress (after a fashion anyway as the quicksave keybind doesn't work nor can I save the game from the UT menu).
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:I just use the weapons and stuff that come with the map
True, but you said my "cheat" suggestion was impossible, and while swapping might be a bit much... what's the harm in a lil' health & ammo regenerator?

With the weapons you described you only had for that situation, might be edge enough to get you through that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: ... what's the harm in a lil' health & ammo regenerator? With the weapons you described you only had for that situation, might be edge enough to get you through that.
No harm whatsoever - as you say might have been enough. Will see what happens when I get there again or, at least, when I find the tower with the sniper rifle.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

OjitroC wrote:on UnrealSP.org you will see one lengthy review which points out the problems with the map
Ok, the person written the review has the same probs as me, he ghosts through the door I posted, so it seems that the map can't be played completely in normal mode.
EvilGrins wrote:Can you imagine playing this map with Nali Weapons 3?
I played it with NW3, it works fine except the fix installed Stinger weapons. When you use them it can happen that you can't activate your own weapons after them. Thats the reason why I don't use the fix installed Stinger.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Aldebaran wrote:so it seems that the map can't be played completely in normal mode.
That can be the tricky thing, discussing a map that was originally posted in a different forum where the mapper isn't in both forums.

I forwarded your door issue to the link at the start of this thread. Give it a few hours and check to see if anyone responded.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Can you imagine playing this map with Nali Weapons 3?
There are bugs in the map that NW3 can't kill :P ...
.. which is a great pity as it is very well done visually and entertaining to play.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: Can you imagine playing this map with Nali Weapons 3?
There are bugs in the map that NW3 can't kill
=Food Fight= then?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:=Food Fight= then?
The charm and challenge of this map are in playing it with the weapons and other pickups that are already in it. None of the monsters are particularly difficult and the dispersion pistol will account for quite a few. So playing it with anything else, including health/ammo regenerators, is really overkill. The ammo, health and weapons are well placed, often before or after meeting stronger or different monsters.

The difficulty lies in working out which areas to visit in what order to turn off the security system and, unfortunately due to the 'bugs', in deciding when one is faced with a genuine obstacle or one that is the result of a bug in geometry, etc.

This map can be played as a MH as well but even then one doesn't need anything that is not already in the map, particularly as the pickups respawn unlike when played as a SP map - so one can hang around in the first major room until the automag regenerates and then be armed with automags akimbo which will deal with most of the monsters initially encountered.

Despite the 'bugs' this map is a great experience and well worth playing several times.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:Critical: D3D Driver: Encountered oversize texture without sufficient mipmaps
I was asked trying to fix that: As stated above already, the packages "TerrainSkins1.utx" and "KKSkins.utx" contain big sized textures (up to 1024²) without mipmaps. It is not a big deal to reimport the concerning textures the mapper has used into MyLevel with mipmaps, but unfortunately the package "KKPackage.u" imports package "KKSkins.utx" also. So I guess fixing is not possible without rebuilding "KKPackage.u" (and "KKPackage2.u" also that depends on it) what is out of my time budget.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I have what may be a warped notion.

If I placed the extension MH- on the start of the map name, would it function within MonsterHunt?

I mean (and this has been argued on other forums) most singleplayer campaigns are nearly identical to what you find in a long-goal MH map.

Thoughts?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I referred to that in my previous post in this thread.

I've tried it and it does function as MH - however, unlike in SP, all the pickups (weapons, ammo, health, etc) respawn and all the monsters will be there (as an SP it has levels of difficulty and so monster numbers vary according to the difficulty setting) - this means it is a somewhat different experience from playing as a SP map but, then, that's the point in playing it as MH.

The only potential drawback is that, if you get killed, you respawn at the beginning again - which can be a drag if you are near the end of the map when killed as it is a long way to get back to where you were.

Of course, the bugs will still be there, but you can ghost where necessary.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote:The only potential drawback is that, if you get killed, you respawn at the beginning again - which can be a drag if you are near the end of the map when killed as it is a long way to get back to where you were.
I managed to get the map working in OldSkool, which is capable of saving and loading save states.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I played it in MH too and it generally works. Hope there will be a fixed version because I still can't open the door to the underground section.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: I managed to get the map working in OldSkool, which is capable of saving and loading save states.
Is that when playing the map as MH-Enslaved? I've tried that but couldn't save it.

Another drawback in playing the map in MH is that if one wants to play with bots, the number of Player Starts is limited - only one in fact. Using Sektor's LessTele2 I got 3 Player Starts in total so if one wanted more bots, additional starts would need to be manually added to the map.

In addition, the initial part of the map isn't pathed so it's difficult to get bots to follow the Player and, if the bots get killed, they won't be able to find the Player.

Finally, an awful lot of Script Warnings of various kinds are generated in the log (UT/Mini Launcher log).
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote: I managed to get the map working in OldSkool, which is capable of saving and loading save states.
Is that when playing the map as MH-Enslaved? I've tried that but couldn't save it.
Nope, I just extracted, loaded up OldSkool Amp'd, ran the map, and it saved sucesfully.
Another drawback in playing the map in MH is that if one wants to play with bots, the number of Player Starts is limited - only one in fact. Using Sektor's LessTele2 I got 3 Player Starts in total so if one wanted more bots, additional starts would need to be manually added to the map.
I'm gonna do now some UnrealScript algorithm to spawn more player starts near existing ones where reachable.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction