The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Post by UnrealGGecko »

The 2016 ut99.org 3072uu Mapping contest

The Prize

Thanks to Carbon, a Korean edition big box UT or the official Unreal strategy guide will be the prize (winner will pick his prize).

The Rules

• The whole map has to fit inside a 3072x3072x3072uu (unreal unit) cube, this includes the main playing area, the skybox, and any decorational or other purpose areas.
• Regular gametypes (DM, DOM, CTF, AS)
• Must have a batch texture MyLeveled and put in the map somewhere (batch utx file at -> HERE)
• Map prefix should be -3072- (like DM-3072-mapname or AS-3072-mapname etc.)
• Map Screenshot, Bot-Support and Music (at least a MyLeveled blank.umx) are recommended.

Contest time

From October 5th to November 11th (UTC-0 time).

Scoring

The maps will have a public voting poll to ascertain the Gamers Choice. But also a separate vote of all the participants to determine the winner of the contest. The mappers can vote for others but not for his own map. This will be explained in details later in the Vote threads.

Submissions

The Submissions have to be posted here in the contest thread. Contest map should be submitted in a .zip, .rar or .7z archive file without password protection.
The archive file should contain the map, a screenshot, a readme text file with any required credits. Packages can be MyLeveled if you want.

That's it. Let the Mapping begin. :)

ut99.org

=============================================================================================================================
Current participants:

SilverSound CTF-3072Treatment - Direct Download
EvilTom: DM-3072-ScarlE - Direct Download
papercoffee: DM-3072-InsaneTower_v2 - Direct Download & DM-3072-TheVoid - Direct Download
Terraniux: DOM-3072-TarydiumShrine - Direct Download
KingJosh: DM-3072-KingJoshCityLite - Direct Download
Tyr: DM-3072-TyrsLair - Direct Download & DM-3072-Arcturus - Mirror by papercoffee
makemeunreal: DM-3072-Carbon - Direct Download
Rocky: CTF-3072-ShoresArena
ExpEM: DM-3072-UnderHive
PrinceOfFunky: DM-3072-ItalyKinda (newest newest version)

BONUS MAPS:

Sektor2111: MH-3072-FloorWays - Direct Download
SzGergo: DM-3072_Aperture
EvilTom: DM-3072-Weirwood

EvilGrins :ironic: : 3072-EvilLogoSkinMap - Direct Download (warning: not a map)
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 36 times in total.
Reason: TyrsLair updated and fixed some links
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Post by Terraniux »

There is something not entirely clear to me. Is it to INCLUDE the skybox in the range or allowed to be OUTSIDE the 3072 limit? I red all posts twice but I aint seeing anything about an official rule. So inside or outside?

And second,

Make this topic a sticky announcement please.
This member can only post when permitted.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Made it more clear now, thanks for the heads up.

Since I made the start of the contest a bit later, PLEASE let me know if there are any concerns, questions or anything else about this contest.
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Cool thing!
I wish every participant much creativity and energy! :tu:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Awesome! Maybe update with a list of participants? You can count me in . Max submissions per participant? I might be able to crank out 2.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I look forward to testing everything everyone submits.

UT Strategy Guide doesn't strike me as a prize, though I may be jaded. The Fry's Electronics down the block from me still has a stack of those things for $9.99 each.
Renegade wrote:Maybe update with a list of participants?
Going by previous contests, each time someone submits a map their name and a link to the download will appear at the start of the thread; bottom of 1st post.

Music, if anyone needs some · http://www.laernu.com/unrealfiles/Music/ · skip the ones that start with ARC.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Renegade wrote:Awesome! Maybe update with a list of participants?
I will do so very soon!
Renegade wrote:Max submissions per participant? I might be able to crank out 2.
I thought we had a discussion about that and we agreed on.... a lot I believe :mrgreen:
EvilGrins wrote:UT Strategy Guide doesn't strike me as a prize, though I may be jaded. The Fry's Electronics down the block from me still has a stack of those things for $9.99 each.
Damn you're lucky... I want one! :mad2: GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I'd probably do it, but my computer seem to have a limit on what it will allow me to build in Unreal ED and endless BSP errors which discourage me from doing much of mapping. O.o

Edit: Holy snap I got an idea... ♥♥♥

Edit 2: I may not be able to make it. Always getting constant BSP errors caused by my PC. RIP.
Last edited by Chamberly on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

OK added the list of participants, please let me know if you want me to add you to the list :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

For any mappers that have accounts here but haven't been active in this forum, yet still are on others, you want I should advertise this contest around?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:For any mappers that have accounts here but haven't been active in this forum, yet still are on others, you want I should advertise this contest around?
Don't ask ...just do it.

Layout is ready. Now it's time to start the Editor.
First map will fit the spooky theme of this month.
The Insane Tower.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:For any mappers that have accounts here but haven't been active in this forum, yet still are on others, you want I should advertise this contest around?
Don't ask ...just do it.
I'm going to post something over on the Unreal Tournament subreddit.

Slow progress on mine. Space Station map and it's about 30% complete. Will post a WIP thread this weekend probably :rock:
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

EvilGrins wrote:UT Strategy Guide doesn't strike me as a prize, though I may be jaded. The Fry's Electronics down the block from me still has a stack of those things for $9.99 each.
It's just an option. I have an extra one and thought someone who isn't so lucky to live down the street from a stack of them might like it. I don't expect anyone to choose it over the boxed UT, but still.

"Jaded" might be a word to describe your comment, though it wouldn't be my first choice. :satan:
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Why not include MH-maps :noidea that will boost this up, there only about 500 decent ones out there and thousands of DM,CTF and so on, MH is atm the most popular game-style in this old game, I won't participate myself since my skillz are only limited to repair broken ones or convert maps to MH.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Hitman wrote:Why not include MH-maps that will boost this up, there only about 500 decent ones out there and thousands of DM,CTF and so on, MH is atm the most popular game-style in this old game, I won't participate myself since my skillz are only limited to repair broken ones or convert maps to MH.
That's a whole different kettle of fish. MH maps - good ones - are comparatively complex. 500 decent ones? I don't play a lot of MH, but I have 3000 MH maps....hard to believe that there are so few "decent" ones. I guess you mean properly working ones?

Anyhow, better to get a simple but working quality DM map than a broken MH map. We have some newer mappers in the contest, so making it as mapper-friendly as possible is a necessary.

Besides, the time for this discussion has passed and the contest is under way. Maybe next time if anyone wants to do it. :tu: