[WIP] DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Re: [WIP] DM-3072-no name yet!

Post by Renegade »

Nice progress! I've always loved light boxes. Only criticism thus far is that the lighting in general looks a little too white :P It'd be good to see some contrast with some different hues.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Thanks, still working on that!. There is a bit of a bluey tinge in the ambient light. It's probably more obvious away from the bright floodlights. Once iv finalised the sky box I will tweek it. There's already a bit of colour in the internal areas. I always find lighting quite tedious, even more so than bot pathing :lol:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Looking very Chaos actually :mrgreen: Nice.
1v1 maps work well for 1 of my fave game modes, Chaos Arena, where you just have enforcers and a sword.
The grappling hook will be very handy in this map :tu:

I Understand where you are coming from Carbon, but the last competition was difficult and a challenging learning curve for some of the new mappers.
Terrain is a challenge in UE1, and the competition was also an effort to make people do something they avoid.

This competition is much more free-hand, so will serve better as an example of peoples abilities and specialities.
It is worth pointing out that if people are struggling or stuck, this forum is still the place to ask for help, but we won't be turning it into workshops this time.
I like the idea of spending time after the competition, where we have a workshop and help fix any outstanding issues for a release pack.
Fixes and tweaks can then be done without rushing.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Sure, I understand, but it does seem to kind of go against the notion of a 'competition'.

Anyhow, no more from me. I'm with you folks. :highfive:

Rock on mappers! :rock:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

@Dr.Flay any update on the banner we have to include in the map? Iv left a space for it :tu:

Edit... Also I've managed to get a lot done tonight, texturing/lighting/movers/pathing 95% done. plenty of tweaking + fiddly bits to do.

had a decent bot match with only a few bots getting stuck doing stupid things, not bad for a quick bit of pathing, they even used the lifts! :ironic:
Shot0065.jpg
Shot0060.jpg
Shot0058.jpg
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Thing is @Carbon I have already looked at someone's map after a PM seeking advice, so it would be unfair to say people cannot ask for help. It just does not need to be done in the open if people prefer.
However you could also argue that posting any preview pics is also giving an advantage to others, but we ignore that and enjoy the sharing experience.
Competition does not need to be only about beating your opponents, as long as you beat the best you did before, it means you have done your best work.

@Eviltom sorry I don't know about the logo ETA, art is not my department very often.
Do me a favour and have a few tests using ChaosUT and see hoe the grapple action is. It looks really promising :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Eviltom
I really dig your third picture of your last update. Very nice. :tu:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Not far off being finished, Bots work great too, no problems. pretty much finished with lighting/sounds/items just tweaks here and there. will run some more tests games and see if anything needs changing/balancing. makes for a fun 1v1 map but plays well up to 4 players.

here are some more screenshots. the light coronas on the outdoor spotlights looks big on the screenshots but they do work well in game, its a dark map and they are massive flood lights!! (iv already reduced the size twice and think iv got them just right)... although i might do some tweaking with the angles the coronas can be seen from! :omfg: [edit... had a brainwave on that! Well 2 solutions actually. Will test what works best]
Shot0102.jpg
Shot0100.jpg
Shot0099.jpg
Shot0097.jpg
Shot0066.jpg
Last edited by Eviltom on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

sorry for the double post, it only let me upload a certain amount of attachments, is that a thing? or am i just being useless? :ironic2:
Shot0106.jpg
Shot0105.jpg
Shot0104.jpg
Shot0103.jpg
Attachments
Shot0102.jpg
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Correct, it is a thing here, specifically to avoid spamming of too many pictures, because it quickly buries any text posted between them, and if a bunch of pictures fills a whole thread it is annoyingly slow (and expensive on a limited data plan).
eg. on my phone if a section of a thread will eat most of my credit, I will skip as quickly as possible, and so not even look at 1 picture.

We allow double-posting in limited situations, and lucky for you we allow an author to double post in their own development thread, but only the author :tu:
You can if need be, use as many external images as you like, we cannot control that, other than to shout at you for being spammy :wink:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

projection.jpg
added the contest logo as a projection onto the billboard.

also fixed my floodlights so the coronas can only be seen if your looking directly into the light!

just need to do a screenshot and move a few items around and its pretty much done! :D and maybe i need to jazz up the skybox a bit!
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Nice work. Can't wait to play it. :)
Released:
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: [WIP] DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo

Post by Eviltom »

EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Very fun!

More screenshots · viewtopic.php?p=92161#p92161
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Played a quick deathmatch. Was very fun so far.

- Some textures aren't properly aligned where they can be aligned.
- There is a good bunch of z-axis fighting.
- There is room for more decoration/details.
- Some textures feeling overused a bit but nothing feels misplaced.
- Items are well placed.
- Bots doing a good job.

All in all a solid map with interesting floorplan.

8/10, would play again. :D
Released: