The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Post by sektor2111 »

Tyr wrote:Map done for contribution.
Download: http://en.file-upload.net/download-1204 ... r.zip.html

Have fun. :)
It will be fun without messing lift - that's a Door and doesn't have any specific unique TAG - is just a default mover left unfinished - LIftExit > LiftTag = None, LiftCenter > LiftTag is None, Bot doesn't have a good timing in this case (Various skill = Various speed) so there is a guess - it probably somehow operational because it's the only mover and has delay else configuration is wrong and if map would have 4 movers would cause links through walls with the rest of "Lifts" because of the same NONE LiftTag, and actually you don't need so many PathNodes.

@Contest moderators >> You have done a badge for contest - put up a Bot Pathing Tutorial - majority need it, or a link to Higor's explanations or let Gustavo to path maps for you because at least he can manage Movers well at 12 years old - no kidding he really do knows Lift pathing.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

No matter what else comes to this contest, this map will remain my favorite cuz I asked Terraniux to name one of the control points "Fred" and he did!

More screenshots · viewtopic.php?p=92161#p92161
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Thanks for the review @EvilGrins
I had to stick the water in the skyzone due to limited space! So it does look a bit trippy :lol:
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

sektor2111 wrote:It will be fun without messing lift - that's a Door and doesn't have any specific unique TAG - is just a default mover left unfinished - LIftExit > LiftTag = None, LiftCenter > LiftTag is None, Bot doesn't have a good timing in this case (Various skill = Various speed) so there is a guess - it probably somehow operational because it's the only mover and has delay else configuration is wrong and if map would have 4 movers would cause links through walls with the rest of "Lifts" because of the same NONE LiftTag, and actually you don't need so many PathNodes.

@Contest moderators >> You have done a badge for contest - put up a Bot Pathing Tutorial - majority need it, or a link to Higor's explanations or let Gustavo to path maps for you because at least he can manage Movers well at 12 years old - no kidding he really do knows Lift pathing.
I must admit, that i don't had read any tutorials since the early 2000s so the main experience comes from 15 years ago. The mover was already in the original map (see in the WIP thread) so i left it untouched. It's a fun project for me to dump free time. Maybe i take it not seriously enough but i don't contribute to the contest because i want to win. I just had a reason starting the ued and do something. There is no reason to being rude.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
Released:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Tyr wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:It will be fun without messing lift - that's a Door and doesn't have any specific unique TAG - is just a default mover left unfinished - LIftExit > LiftTag = None, LiftCenter > LiftTag is None, Bot doesn't have a good timing in this case (Various skill = Various speed) so there is a guess - it probably somehow operational because it's the only mover and has delay else configuration is wrong and if map would have 4 movers would cause links through walls with the rest of "Lifts" because of the same NONE LiftTag, and actually you don't need so many PathNodes.

I must admit, that i don't had read any tutorials since the early 2000s so the main experience comes from 15 years ago. The mover was already in the original map (see in the WIP thread) so i left it untouched. It's a fun project for me to dump free time. Maybe i take it not seriously enough but i don't contribute to the contest because i want to win. I just had a reason starting the ued and do something. There is no reason to being rude.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
Lifts are easier than I remember, I will try and dig out the tutorial I used. It would be a quick fix after the contest for the map pack! It will give your bots more routes and improve the offline gameplay.

Iv got a couple of buggy bot bits on my map (one of them is a lift that works 9/10 times :ironic2: ) and it really irritates me but I'm away with work now so won't have time to sort it, so I have submitted it how it is! Hopefully I will have time to sort it for the map pack.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let's bring some light in case of confusions. I'm not rude, what I'm posting is called feed-back. Okay, next section, I can stay without saying nothing and Not using such maps intensive as are doing admins generally - sorting only flawless things. In this way you will never know what is the problem with map if is not that successful - majority are chickening without to dare to drop the truth on table. I prefer to see people saying: sektor, there is a problem with that, take it in account. And then I'll do what I can and/or asking help because flaws not described in tutorials can be learned from forums and testing stuff. Logs are relevant as well.

Gecko said about that one my MH map to be different at any Level - preventing confusions. I feel the same, so I have imported some of those textures shared by Funky (credits goes there + the rest of designers) and I did not see his suggestion rude. So let's see... a contest should drop some quality (I'm guessing) and I was surprised to see that visible flaws are left there untouched. Why ? It can be configured properly...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Tyr wrote:There is no reason to being rude.
Sektor isn't rude, he's translated. It does seem to come across that way but he's a good guy...
...although it is easy to picture him as a Bond-villain, stroking a white fluffy cat, and looking upon all those he doles advice out to as the "little people who are like ants" sometimes.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

I don't have any problem with constructive feedback. But the thing with the 12 year old kid who can bot pathing for you isn't constructive.
Released:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Tyr wrote:I don't have any problem with constructive feedback. But the thing with the 12 year old kid who can bot pathing for you isn't constructive.
Then read forum and see some stuff by Gustavo. I know, usually he was bullshiting nonsenses and almost nothing is completed sloping from a thing to another and finishing mainly None things, but... in a map by himself I just could see a TriggerOpenTimed mover working without to have a trigger - read well WITHOUT using a trigger. That kid just did it tricky - and it's operational. and to be honest I was roaming a lot of maps bad and good and NO ONE from those which I see did such thing which it's logic after all (but I'll do that way), and he has a bit of knowledge at Lift Chapter, yes, 12 years old having a so called aspengers - Can you believe ? Else if a kid can do good thing, I might expect more from an adult :| .
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

sektor2111 wrote:
Tyr wrote:Else if a kid can do good thing, I might expect more from an adult :| .
I'm an adult, and I'm useless at most things in life :loool:

I WAS mapping for duke nukem 3d when I was about 12 though... Iv always been good at building and have a natural understanding of 3d space. Even do it for a job (sculptor) but code/triggers (hi/lo tags in dn3d, can't believe that i still remember that!) I can do it to a basic functional level but it doesn't interest me in the slightest, everyone has a passion for something and I totally get why Tyr isn't that bothered about bot pathing a lift... its boring! Cant count the maps iv made in the past for the fun of creating them and never bothered with triggers etc. BUT as i said before its an easy fix, just pm me if you need help with it, if I can do it anyone can!
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

sektor2111 wrote:
Tyr wrote:I don't have any problem with constructive feedback. But the thing with the 12 year old kid who can bot pathing for you isn't constructive.
Then read forum and see some stuff by Gustavo. I know, usually he was bullshiting nonsenses and almost nothing is completed sloping from a thing to another and finishing mainly None things, but... in a map by himself I just could see a TriggerOpenTimed mover working without to have a trigger - read well WITHOUT using a trigger. That kid just did it tricky - and it's operational. and to be honest I was roaming a lot of maps bad and good and NO ONE from those which I see did such thing which it's logic after all (but I'll do that way), and he has a bit of knowledge at Lift Chapter, yes, 12 years old having a so called aspengers - Can you believe ? Else if a kid can do good thing, I might expect more from an adult :| .
You don't get the point. I appreciate the feedback you gave in the first part. But the second part is simply a passive aggressive note in a non-constructive manner. Nothing more, nothing less. As i said in the WIP Thread: The last time i've mapped for UT99 is 15 years ago. So it isn't a surprise if someone isn't die hard experienced as someone who is mapping regularily. No matter what age he is.
Released:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:yes, 12 years old having a so called aspengers - Can you believe ? Else if a kid can do good thing, I might expect more from an adult :| .
Okay, that was a little rude... but it's not Sekt's intention so maybe some better order of phrasing?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok let me try to explain.

Sektor is not a native English speaker or writer and he can't hold back when something is not right. And tend to use some hard words. (I don't know his origin)
Gustavo is the 12 year old kid we are talking about. He is member of the forum and stepped on many peoples toes, maybe because he is an autist.
Both of them had a beef with each other ...but as it seems is Sektor agreeably astonished that this kid is able to perform some working LE-LC-LE and trigger stuff and he was expecting that a grown-up would perform some similar magic.

So... now back to topic.
I can maybe finish my map till weekend ...expect a z-axis hell of a map. :mrgreen:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eviltom wrote:about bot pathing a lift... its boring!
:shock: :shock: :shock: What !?

Let's me introduce how I've pathed 8 lifts in map in less than a few minutes.
Each lift has at Object > Name a string assigned by Edior/Engine, I'm using that as name for lift, YES, Lift has a TAG - UNIQUE in Level, because I don't like to give names to things so I will use their name as sugestion for TAG: Mover0 will have tag "0_Mover", Mover1 will have tag "1_Mover", etc until Mover30 (as said by RedFist) by writing "1_", "2_", "3_" in front of their default tag (more editing I gotta admit). Then Copy Tag "1_Mover" to all "LiftTag" variables from LiftExit and LiftCenter passing through that Lift using "Copy-Paste" and then repeat procedure with other Lifts - yes, it's that simple, you don't even need to think a minute for these. So to refrain, what is that boring because I'm in fog at this point ? I spent under 2 minutes to set 8 Lifts and a few seconds to check proximity, delay, movetime, and the rest which were automated from first Lift as long I simply duplicated first Lift getting other 7 perfect copies if first Mover is correctly set. Last thing in map will be selecting all and adding Move Sounds accordingly. Actually it's a nice work and fun at doing these.
Skellethorn
Novice

Re: The 3072uu Mapping Contest.

Post by Skellethorn »

Those are the all the rules? Can we do whatever we want as long as it is inside the cube and follows the other rules? Custom content and all that? How much "artistic" freedom do we have? I mean, are we all adults here or should we think about what the kids may see? Also, how many maps can we submit per user? That wasn't so clear to me.
Also, I know the contest is not over but I see a few people have already submitted maps, could we update the first post with links to those maps even if they are beta or something? I don't want to be looking for them in each thread page.