Modding UT99

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
DesertXGhost
Novice

Modding UT99

Post by DesertXGhost »

Hi, is any body interested in modding UT99, like setting your default team as Blue, adding more teams to the Tournament, or even better building your own team like in ut2004?
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: Modding UT99

Post by Spectra »

You mean you want to make your own custom ladder?
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

The idea of a customized single-player ladder was discussed not so long ago. Well, more about starting the ladder with mods enabled, which is essentially how this type of thing would work. The idea didn't seem to get any traction though.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11877
DesertXGhost
Novice

Post by DesertXGhost »

Rocky wrote:You mean you want to make your own custom ladder?
Yes, because I really hate to be on the red team with some teams like the dark phalanx or the black legion that's number one plus I used to play the old edition of the game(the one before GOTY edition) the ladder used to have DM-Barricade map now it is not in the GOTY, also why not making a team for Xan after defeating him.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well, if you're asking if anyone would be interested in playing with such a mod, I don't doubt that many would, but if you're trying to get someone to do it, I'm not sure you would have many takers.

This might be interesting for you.
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Post by Blade hunter »

It was modded already, some people made a new ladder changing a few things here and there.
I think they changed the files related to it and made a ladder that adds a few new levels and changes some of the fights.
Attachments
spladder.zip
A mod I had since a while.
(62.84 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Blade hunter wrote:It was modded already, some people made a new ladder changing a few things here and there.
I think they changed the files related to it and made a ladder that adds a few new levels and changes some of the fights.
Levels, number of teams (in DOM), team qualities (e.g. team stats, names, etc...) and a lot of other variables... all of which can be changed. Hell, I even recreated the Corrupt team from 2k4 with their own team avatar. Higor also has a custom team of botz created - tried it out but ended up with Aegor being absent or invisible due to missing classes/skins that I have no intention of looking.

A lot of said variables can be changed via unrealed:

Actor>Info>RatedMatchInfo, RatedTeamInfo or Ladder... go to the default properties and try to figure that stuff out.

If you know a little about editing or creating your own classes then its an (relatively) ez task; however, be aware of class mismatches. You could just modify the spladder mod that Blade has brought up, unless you really don't give a shit about being able to play online and having package mismatches. That mod by itself is a decent refresher with different maps and teams; additionally it allows you to use certain mutators to alleviate your boredom from your old-fashioned ladder matches. :)
DesertXGhost
Novice

Post by DesertXGhost »

Old UT Veteran wrote:
Blade hunter wrote:It was modded already, some people made a new ladder changing a few things here and there.
Levels, number of teams (in DOM), team qualities (e.g. team stats, names, etc...) and a lot of other variables... all of which can be changed. Hell, I even recreated the Corrupt team from 2k4 with their own team avatar. Higor also has a custom team of botz created - tried it out but ended up with Aegor being absent or invisible due to missing classes/skins that I have no intention of looking.

A lot of said variables can be changed via unrealed:

Actor>Info>RatedMatchInfo, RatedTeamInfo or Ladder... go to the default properties and try to figure that stuff out.

If you know a little about editing or creating your own classes then its an (relatively) ez task; however, be aware of class mismatches. You could just modify the spladder mod that Blade has brought up, unless you really don't give a shit about being able to play online and having package mismatches. That mod by itself is a decent refresher with different maps and teams; additionally it allows you to use certain mutators to alleviate your boredom from your old-fashioned ladder matches. :)
That's what I care about exactly but the problem is I do not know where to start and is there a guide for that or I should learn everything by my own by trial and error?
I am really interested in doing so even if there is no one will play it just I want to make this game as good as possible in my point of view.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

DesertXGhost wrote:That's what I care about exactly but the problem is I do not know where to start and is there a guide for that or I should learn everything by my own by trial and error?
More or less... Everything I know about unrealED or the code (close to jack shit) is due to many 'experiments' I conducted a decade or so for fun.

I'll point you toward the right direction on where to look, but I won't guide you through the entire thing on... Before you even do anything I suggest you backup your UT System folder so that IF you do mess something up or render the game 'unplayable' (unlikely, given what you will be editing/changing) then you can use the backup to restore.

Open up your unrealED and go to the actor class browser. In my screenshot I included the location of the 3 primary 'parent' classes and their corresponding 'child' classes that are used to control the Tournament Ladder or team info. You only have to concern yourself with the child classes. You will need to open up Default-properties to edit them (right click on the class). The 3 parent classes are all located in the ACTOR>INFO, and they're: Ladder, RatedMatchInfo and RatedTeamInfo. DOM Ladder settings are in the screenshot as an example. You honestly don't need to know all of this; You can edit the RatedTeamInfo to change the team properties.

The Ladder allows you to edit the maps being played, its score limit etc... you get the point. It does a lot more, but that's a story of its own not compelling my interests due to the Topic given. The Ladder also has info on the match being played on a particular map which is crucial to team-based and free4all matches. The red bracket I made over there shows where that is; The Ladder will fetch info from the particular MatchInfo.

MatchInfo will be what controls how many bots play in a particular map, their general skill level and TEAM (with exception to DM and Challange) that the player will play against (EnemyTeam highlighted). For example: MatchInfoDOM10 would correspond to the 9th MAP being played in the ladder since it's located in row 9 - titles don't matter, only the row they're located in. As you progress further into the Tournament, games become more difficult. This is due to the Modified Difficulty, where the developers would increase it (0-3) to make bots more difficult. From the screenshot, you can tell that MatchInfo2 calls out for RatedTeam2 (Necris) as the enemy team. RatedTeam2 can also be called out by any of the other listen MatchInfos in the red bracket. Info being used: Skill is .5, and match will include 3 Bots with 1 of them being on your team. I don't remember how the game copes with these settings if for example you pick the Necris to be your starting team. The rest of the stuff in RatedMatchInfo regarding bot bio, accuracy, etc... doesn't apply to Team-Based matches because that info is pulled from the RatedTeamInfo class. Simply said... if MatchInfo has no EnemyTeam listed, then the info will used from MatchInfo tabs. Only the Challenge and DM ladder use the RatedMatchInfo to describe the bots you will be facing. CTF, DOM and AS use the RatedTeamInfo to tell the game what team or group of bots the player faces off against.

Lastly there is the RatedTeamInfo, which of course, is the subject at hand. This allows you to modify anything about the team or certain bots; however, certain variables such as accuracy or skill might be directly affected and scaled by the modified difficulty (not sure - don't remember, if in some cases). Combat style will not be affected for DM based matches, as noted by XAN's adjusted style (0.5 combat skill, scaled 0 to 1), making him more aggressive - simple detonation being that bot will be more likely to get closer and fuck u up.

The process goes like this in a DOM Ladder as it tries to play map #1. Ladder gets info on Map in row 1 (0 being tutorial?), pulls frag limit, map description, author info, etc... from the 1st row in all of those tabs. The rest of it is unknown and has to be found: bot/team info and number of bots and difficulty. To get that, Ladder references/calls a different class based on what is stored in the 1st row of the RatedMatchInfo tab in the DOM LADDER CLASS or LadderDOM and sees RatedMatchDOM1 - calls that out and done.

I edited team venom to create the corrupt in this example, but you can create your own team and change them with a different enemy team in RatedTeamInfo. Honestly... its trial and error - too much to explain. There really isn't a lot to this once you get to tinker around with it, maybe besides figuring out the bot classes and skins. I'm tired and ready to fall asleep; I probably over-complicated things. im done
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture.PNG
Last edited by Old UT Veteran on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertXGhost
Novice

Post by DesertXGhost »

Old UT Veteran wrote:
DesertXGhost wrote:That's what I care about exactly but the problem is I do not know where to start and is there a guide for that or I should learn everything by my own by trial and error?
More or less... Everything I know about unrealED or the code (close to jack shit) is due to many 'experiments' I conducted a decade or so for fun.

I'll point you toward the right direction on where to look, but I won't guide you through the entire thing on... Before you even do anything I suggest you backup your UT System folder so that IF you do mess something up or render the game 'unplayable' (unlikely, given what you will be editing/changing) then you can use the backup to restore.

Open up your unrealED and go to the actor class browser. In my screenshot I included the location of the 3 primary 'parent' classes and their corresponding 'child' classes that are used to control the Tournament Ladder or team info. You only have to concern yourself with the child classes. You will need to open up Default-properties to edit them (right click on the class). The 3 parent classes are all located in the ACTOR>INFO, and they're: Ladder, RatedMatchInfo and RatedTeamInfo. DOM Ladder settings are in the screenshot as an example. You honestly don't need to know all of this; You can edit the RatedTeamInfo to change the team properties.

The Ladder allows you to edit the maps being played, its score limit etc... you get the point. It does a lot more, but that's a story of its own not compelling my interests due to the Topic given. The Ladder also has info on the match being played on a particular map which is crucial to team-based and free4all matches. The red bracket I made over there shows where that is; The Ladder will fetch info from the particular MatchInfo.

MatchInfo will be what controls how many bots play in a particular map, their general skill level and TEAM (with exception to DM and Challange) that the player will play against (EnemyTeam highlighted). For example: MatchInfoDOM10 would correspond to the 9th MAP being played in the ladder since it's located in row 9 - titles don't matter, only the row they're located in. As you progress further into the Tournament, games become more difficult. This is due to the Modified Difficulty, where the developers would increase it (0-3) to make bots more difficult. From the screenshot, you can tell that MatchInfo2 calls out for RatedTeam2 (Necris) as the enemy team. RatedTeam2 can also be called out by any of the other listen MatchInfos in the red bracket. Info being used: Skill is .5, and match will include 3 Bots with 1 of them being on your team. I don't remember how the game copes with these settings if for example you pick the Necris to be your starting team. The rest of the stuff in RatedMatchInfo regarding bot bio, accuracy, etc... doesn't apply to Team-Based matches because that info is pulled from the RatedTeamInfo class. Simply said... if MatchInfo has no EnemyTeam listed, then the info will used from MatchInfo tabs. Only the Challenge and DM ladder use the RatedMatchInfo to describe the bots you will be facing. CTF, DOM and AS use the RatedTeamInfo to tell the game what team or group of bots the player faces off against.

Lastly there is the RatedTeamInfo, which of course, is the subject at hand. This allows you to modify anything about the team or certain bots; however, certain variables such as accuracy or skill might be directly affected and scaled by the modified difficulty (not sure - don't remember, if in some cases). Combat style will not be affected for DM based matches, as noted by XAN's adjusted style (0.5 combat skill, scaled 0 to 1), making him more aggressive - simple detonation being that bot will be more likely to get closer and fuck u up.

The process goes like this in a DOM Ladder as it tries to play map #1. Ladder gets info on Map in row 1 (0 being tutorial?), pulls frag limit, map description, author info, etc... from the 1st row in all of those tabs. The rest of it is unknown and has to be found: bot/team info and number of bots and difficulty. To get that info, Ladder uses the info that is stored in the 1st row of the RatedMatchInfo tab in the DOM LADDER CLASS or LadderDOMand sees RatedMatchDOM1 - calls that out and done.

I edited team venom to create the corrupt in this example, but you can create your own team and change them with a different enemy team in RatedTeamInfo. Honestly... its trial and error - too much to explain. There really isn't a lot to this once you get to tinker around with it, maybe besides figuring out the bot classes and skins. I'm tired and ready to fall asleep; I probably over-complicated things. im done
Thank you so much actually I was screwing all day with the UScript language searching for the main method/function (Java programmer) where the variables are initialized, didn't know they were in Default properties :tu:
DesertXGhost
Novice

Post by DesertXGhost »

I was wondering where is the part concerning my info( my color(DM and Challenges , Team color), I have seen a mod where the DM is played in Red Team color skin, also how could I add Last Man Standing to the Ladder and put different game modes in the Challenges part.
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

DesertXGhost wrote:I was wondering where is the part concerning my info( my color(DM and Challenges , Team color), I have seen a mod where the DM is played in Red Team color skin, also how could I add Last Man Standing to the Ladder and put different game modes in the Challenges part.
The mod blade attached to his post has a last man standing ladder (substitutes the AS ladder), and a challenge ladder consisting of AS, TDM, DM and CTF matches.
biohazardx9
Novice

Post by biohazardx9 »

Great thread, I learnt something here.

I remember a mod years ago called RealTournament. it was a single player ladder mod, bit buggy in actually enabling the mod but once on it was pretty cool.
Domination had new graphics for the spinning X, and there were flags on the wall near the point that would change colour/texture depending on what team controlled it.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I am (slowly) working on a custom ladder (UT port) for Unreal 227. PM me if you want in.
Signature goes here.