Blinking Movers problem :(

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
rtg
Average
Personal rank: the incredable kid

Blinking Movers problem :(

Post by rtg »

see the video above for example. My base (which i built upon) has NO bsp cuts whatsoever. And I did built it all under a 128 sized grid.. Any ideas?

Picture with no BSP cuts:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Blinking Movers problem :(

Post by papercoffee »

Are those movers touching bsp?
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

papercoffee wrote:Are those movers touching bsp?
Yes.

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Both the mover's upper face and the empty cube's lower face are fighting to be displayed over the other. Move your movers 1 unit down and it wil fix the issue.
You must construct additional pylons.
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Hellkeeper wrote:Both the mover's upper face and the empty cube's lower face are fighting to be displayed over the other. Move your movers 1 unit down and it wil fix the issue.

Hmm, I just tried that but it didnt worked.

I made bunch of tests (removing skybox, placing the movers in different positions) and got bunch of random effects, but not any of them were stable. Even half of them were totally invisible. I have 45 movers in total btw
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe reduce the map to the problem by deleting all other stuff and provide it here for download?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Barbie wrote:Maybe reduce the map to the problem by deleting all other stuff and provide it here for download?

Google Drive Download
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Too many movers moving at once (45). The engine doesn't like that. After deleting a bunch of them, the problem disappears. I guess it's simply a matter of not overloading the game.
You must construct additional pylons.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

^Maybe the brushes can be merged together into 1 brush and move them as 1 mover?
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Metalfist wrote:^Maybe the brushes can be merged together into 1 brush and move them as 1 mover?
Good Idea, will try it out.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Sadly I was not able to find the specific reason for that flickering and/or vanishing of Mover surfaces. Reducing the amount as Hellkeeper suggested is of course an option, but I got also flickering surfaces with 7 Movers only.
I tried different things:
  1. Reducing brush sizes below 32k UU, because I noticed at another map that the engine has issues displaying Textures on surfaces sized beyond 32k.
  2. Removed all custom Textures and SkyZone.
  3. Transformed all Brush operations to "Permanently".
  4. Gave Movers different values for "MoveTime".
  5. Creating a small map from the scratch with more than 60 Movers: it has also flickering effects.
I reduced the amount of Movers of original map until no flickering effects occur: depending on what Movers I delete, the threshold for flickering effects varies, I got that with 26, another time with 7. Also the position of the Movers has influence on flickering effects.
Metalfist wrote:Maybe the brushes can be merged together into 1 brush and move them as 1 mover?
Just tried that and got same effects with it.

PS: Some months ago I run into a similar problem, see Flickering doors (Mover).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Are the movers set to last in the build tree?
Are the movers in the void when you rebuild your map or are they on key-point 2?
Does this happen as well when you not rebuild the map with optimization settings?

I had some issues with movers in my contest map ...and I could only avoid it by build geometry, lights and path manually :P
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Pfft.

Subdivide the ground in 8*8 squares.
You're in for a surprise.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I think those guys at i4g whoever does a lot of BT mapping with loads of movers would give some tips.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Hey guys, tnx for all the replies! Sry for being away and not following up, I haven't touched my movie ever since because of this problem. I decided to go all on it today and figure a way out, and I did it! It was a hell of a ride with thousands of bugs all over the place with no logical explanation of their cause, it just goes by random. I was testing even with 10 movers and it all ways made blinking problems which totally confused me.. The struggle was hard, I made 36 maps, and somehow I finally managed to make a scene with 75 movers by pure luck and I am happy with the result. Well, unfortunately these movers are too simplified, but the engine is stressing out way too much and it limits my capabilities with making simple tasks... cant do much about that..