[UGold227i] Lock-On Mod

Discussions about everything else
ANUBITEK
Adept

[UGold227i] Lock-On Mod

Post by ANUBITEK »

ORIGINALLY RPG_DEV, POST UPDATED 11/15/20

This project stopped a long time ago. I want to pick it up again but I don't want to do what I was doing before with the sprites. I want to make a third person shooter mod with Unreal Gold. HOWEVER until I pick it up, I am going to dump the old project files here. It doesn't compile, it is too bugged and needs fixing. But I figure someone might want to take a look at the old project scripts and any files that will actually open. Frankly I'm not sure how many of these files even open, I'm just including all of it. I'll be taken a look at the files in the next few weeks, working on other projects as of now.
Attachments
RPG_Game_dev.7z
(32.74 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by ANUBITEK on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
ANUBITEK
Adept

Re: [UGold] Working sprites

Post by ANUBITEK »

With what Higor has written so far, I've added some additional actors and object to get fully working sprite animations on (potentially) any actor.
> SpriteActor: Actor that SAM gives an index number (0-7) and grabs textures from an associated SpriteSheet.
> SpriteSheet: Serves as a bitmap library for use by SpriteActor and SpriteAnimation.
> SpriteParser: Grabs sprites based on actor SpriteActor is attached to if a .int file exists for said actor and assigns them to SpriteActor's SpriteSheet.
> SpriteAnimation: Holds one set of textures for an animation, as well as on-frame function notify calls.
> SpriteAnimationManager: "Plays" SpriteAnimation and tells SpriteActor what its index number is based on its position/rotation relative to the current camera's position.

Next I need to make it so unseen sprite actors by the camera don't render when not in direct view, also got some bugs to fix. Then I need to make a mutator that does... hooo boy, a lot. Then properly implement animation code and create some if else if statements. I want to put out something playable soon, finally have an idea for what I want to do with how the platforming of my mod will play out. Think of Banjo-Kazooie meets Metal Gear Solid, sneaking and platforming around with occasional collecting stuff. But that is getting ahead of myself.
__NECIJIPhc

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This looks very very intersting. A full RGB could be possible?
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

I'm not sure if you are asking if the texture can be colored, but if you are then yes. You can use display->ActorRenderColor. I've also noticed that bNoSmooth really has no effect on these sprites. Also the sprite can either be lit or unlit. SpriteProjForward can be adjusted so the sprite isn't constantly attempting to clip through/over walls and other obscuring objects. And I think I adjusted ScaleGlow so that it wouldn't project like a corona. I need a better naming method though, I have animation groups stored in a library actor but only have names like "Walk" "Run" etc. What do I do if I want ambient animations for say, inventory actors with an attached sprite actor?

Code: Select all

struct Animations {
	var array<BitMap> Stand;
	var array<BitMap> Walk;
	var array<BitMap> Jump;
	var array<BitMap> Run;
	var array<BitMap> LAttack;	
	var array<BitMap> MAttack;	
	var array<BitMap> HAttack;	
	var array<BitMap> Special1;	
	var array<BitMap> Special2;	
};
var private array<Animations> Sprites;
Also I'm wondering how many of these arrays can I have at a time, on how many actors. Random thoughts.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think you could load up zillions of sprites, the animation isn't really animation the same as a working bot type thing.

just a guess :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

papercoffee wrote:This looks very very intersting. A full RGB could be possible?
omg :wth: ... Note to myself: never type again without coffee in your blood system.

I meant RPG :oops:
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

I've had the idea of setting texture groups based on items picked up and so far I have a level up system with .ini saving along with quicksave being called at checkpoint things I've made. And the creator of firetrucks, an actual RPG mod for Unreal Gold, is on Oldunreal and has released their assets (which I may ask them about at some point) so an RPG mod seems enitrely possible. Isn't Deus Ex technically that? ... speaking of, I reaaaally want the Deus Ex textures but can't load them UED2 for some reason. And I really want the camera model as well, the ball one. And the computers you use to turn off/on cameras, doors, turrets, etc.

Level ups are going to be a globally maintained stat via a mutator, so if one player character is level 10, all player characters and enemies are level 10.

JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

The creator of Firetrucks would be totally stoked if you used his work. I used a bunch of his assets when I did the Dragons and he was incredibly gracious. The only issue is that some of it doesn't work correctly online (replication). Hit me up if you fail to import the Deus Ex stuff. I'm reinstalling Unreal to play some newly released stuff over at OU (I'm on vacation next week) so I can do the correct texture imports if you can't get it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

That would be cool to make ut kart sprites with ut characters *-*
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:The creator of Firetrucks would be totally stoked if you used his work. I used a bunch of his assets when I did the Dragons and he was incredibly gracious. The only issue is that some of it doesn't work correctly online (replication). Hit me up if you fail to import the Deus Ex stuff. I'm reinstalling Unreal to play some newly released stuff over at OU (I'm on vacation next week) so I can do the correct texture imports if you can't get it.
Hay gopo ...do you have had enough of ARMA and Day-Z? :mrgreen:
Yeah the new Unreal stuff is astonishing but in order to play all this, first I have to fix my graphic card ...finally.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I still play a fair bit of both as I admin on the arma servers that sp00ney runs. Lately though I've been playing a ton of Battlegrounds and that leads me back to Unreal Engine. More on that in another post I think.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

JackGriffin wrote:The creator of Firetrucks would be totally stoked if you used his work. I used a bunch of his assets when I did the Dragons and he was incredibly gracious. The only issue is that some of it doesn't work correctly online (replication). Hit me up if you fail to import the Deus Ex stuff. I'm reinstalling Unreal to play some newly released stuff over at OU (I'm on vacation next week) so I can do the correct texture imports if you can't get it.
Deus Ex Editor wont work for me, I can't even open it after I had tried to troubleshoot it before. And everytime I load textures into either UED 2 or 2.1, the textures don't show up in the texture browser. I am looking for New York City and UNATCO textures, plus whatever I need if I rip the camera model from ingame.

ANUBITEK
Adept

Re: [UGold227i] RPGdev

Post by ANUBITEK »

I have a new update for this topic, renamed it because I'm stepping a bit beyond the sprites thing as it is now nearing a state of working!

L4_jrssKrK8

I'm working on RPGdev for Unreal Gold 227i, a mod that is aiming to add:
- 3D platforming elements inspired by Abe's Oddysee (PS1, PC)
- Stealth elements inspired by Metal Gear Solid (PS1, PC)
- An RPG combat system, as well as an 8-direction sprite system, inspired by Xenogears (PS1)

So far I have:
- Player interactions added via an actor that can be detected via touch()ing it, capable of commanding a "turret" that can target specified shot-activated triggers.
- 8-directional sprite system, with texture imports via an .INT parser.
- Deus Ex Sounds/Textures (to be implemented though)
- Music from UT99 and Deus Ex
- A level up system (to be used with class system, undeveloped as of now)
- A 3rd person camera capable of being used as a scrolling or tracking camera

JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I played early versions of this. Quite interesting take on the engine and Lann does the project right. Finished product will be worth your time because he's done a lot of cool things.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

This looks really nice... only thing I would fix is that the figure (sprite) seems to float in the air a little bit.