How do you play alone?

Discussions about UT99
Zanna
Average

How do you play alone?

Post by Zanna »

Post being updated as I keep ordering my files. This stuff is mostly meant for playing alone and/or with bots.

Gametypes
  • Captain: Team mode. You all start with lives, and if your team captain's lives reach 0 you lose. Still not sure if the enemy captain bot changes behaviour or not, but it gets bonus.
  • Damage Match: Currently only solo. How hard would it be to port it to team as well? It's just deathmatch but with more emphasis on damage, instead of frags. You deal more damage = you get more score.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Awesome team mode which I didn't know. Map specific (SH- prefix). There are flags in fixed position. Flags nearer your base score less points than the ones in the middle of the map. Grab a flag and bring it to your base. Also, there might be a black flag: if you bring it to the enemy base their score resets or diminishes by a lot.
  • Bunny Track: We all know this =)
  • Dominate: Team mode. Works in both DOM and DM maps, although you can't set the number of points in DM maps (but you can always make a small modification to a DM map and make it DOM ;) ). Points are scored by killing enemy team members, but if you control 0 points you get no points. The more you control the higher the frag's score.
  • Monster Hunt: It's a shame a lot of maps won't work offline. Other than that, very good. Heavily based on the map. Team game I guess? As long as you finish the level everybody wins? ^^ With this, I'm including also Monster Arena which is very similar. Like Invasion from the other UTs. Again both are map specifics (MH and MA).
  • Monster Arena: See above. Again, shame most of maps don't work with bots. Even more a shame that MA doesn't have billions of maps (or it's a good thing? :lol2: )
  • Boom Ball: Flag/rocket spawns in the middle of a CTF map. To score, you must bring it to the enemy base. There's also Burger CTF in the Food Fight mod which is similar.
  • Assassins: Solo gamemode. You have a target and you score points only by killing your target. You can also kill your hunter if you find out who he is. Bots seem to work nicely.
  • Holy Wars: Solo. A halo spawns in a random location: the first who gets it becomes the Saint. The Saint can get a shield belt or an instagib rifle (depends on settings). When the Saint dies the halo drops. You can only kill the Saint or the heretics for points.
Mutators
  • Shared Life: Works in team games. Whenever your team mates get damaged, you receive a portion of the damage. Can be configured.
  • Arena Match: This is an old one, it's just awesome for arena style matches.
  • Eavy Dark Match: Turns the lights off and gives you a torchlight. Of course not compatible with bots, but great if you want an added challenge.
  • Invisible Spawn: It does what it says. Can set the time in a mod menu.
Conversions
  • Nali Weapons: Totally changes the weapons. Huge menu in the mod options.
  • Food Fight: Changes the weapons with food-related weapons. Also adds and replace pickups and adds a Burger CTF mode similar to Boom Ball.

--- old post ---
I recently installed UT again (hence why I signed up here), and shockerz! it turns out most of the people which I used to play with don't play anymore. Guess people gets old
anyway, I don't mind having a nice collection of maps and playing sometimes alone with my bots.

I was wondering: do any of you still play alone? Any gametypes other than defaults I should be aware of? Anything that extends bots?
Also: how hard would it be to add bot-pathing to a map, if it hasn't? I remember there were some CTF, AS or even DM maps that had great visuals and architecture but couldn't be played single player, but I haven't a single idea of how the editor works so if it's too hard I'll just forget it lol

So ye, if you have any tips for a better single player experience I'd be glad to listen!
PS: I know there are some single player maps out there that mimics old Unreal, but I'm more of an arena guy
Last edited by Zanna on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: How do you play alone?

Post by papercoffee »

First suggestion ...try to search the forum :mrgreen: all your questions are already somewhere discussed.
Second suggestion ...Moddb has a large list of mods and total conversions which will alter your UT experience for sure.

NW3 (Nali Weapons 3) is one of the best. Visual and experience wise.
And if you like you can install the Food Fight mod for silly food shooting weapons.
Or Monster Hunt... etc.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

der Kas wrote:I don't mind having a nice collection of maps and playing sometimes alone with my bots.
That's how I most often play.

I keep lists of bots, configured manually by myself:
some are extremely skilled and some are sucky skilled

Have you ever considered X-bots?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108072.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Foodfight looks hilarious! I don't understand if it completely changes weapons or it just reskins them and the projectiles, but I'll find out soon :)
Nali weapons seems like a huge (and graphically good looking!) conversion. I try to avoid big mods and total conversions that change a lot of the game. but damn it looks great..
Monster Hunt: I admit I never played it much, offline or online. But is there good bot support? I know there are *a lot* of maps around, I was wondering if bots know how to play the gamemode. I might give it another try

To EvilGrins - i'm in love with your bots, huge customization and dedication, much respect to you friend. I will check out this X-Bots, thanks.
The problem I have with current bots is that they literally always know where you are, and that kinda sucks, but I guess we'll have to stick with em :ironic:

thanks, I'll keep an eye on this thread and update if I find anthing cool or interesting -edit: especially mutators!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

der Kas wrote:The problem I have with current bots is that they literally always know where you are
Your bots ability to see you virtually anywhere is dependent on how aware you allow them to be.

It's covered under "Alertness" like so:
Anytime I play online I tend to be the fave target of snipers, so years ago I configured the Abyss to be a sniper. Perfect aim, avoidant so she camps like crazy... often kills me from very far away without me having a clue where she is.

Her "alertness" as you can see is maxed out the extreme, but if you were to set a bot's alertness to down low then it might not be able to perceive you even if you were fairly close to it.

All my bots are configured for a wide array of decent skills to average skills to great skills...

...to not terribly good at all skills:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

der Kas wrote:Foodfight looks hilarious! I don't understand if it completely changes weapons or it just reskins them and the projectiles, but I'll find out soon :)
Nali weapons seems like a huge (and graphically good looking!) conversion. I try to avoid big mods and total conversions that change a lot of the game. but damn it looks great..
Try NW3 anyway ...it's totally worth it. I promise you, you'll keep it and get addicted to its awesomeness. :satan:

Food Fight has it's own weapons ...all of them seem to use a same mechanic as the default weapons (Rocket Launcher = Toastenator or Hot Saucier = Bio Rifle) but they are totally different in the same time. They have an reload system and the Frying Pan can deflect projectiles. Plus, you get a new CTF variant. :wink:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Or, if you're truly a glutton for punishment, you could play with the Golden Reavers!

Read at your own risk · viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6190
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I have multiple gametypes installed. Most likely I like to set up servers than playing offline and fiddle around with them and report any issues and so on.

Best one for offline gameplay sometimes is with Ferbotz, they can play a lot of games better than regular UT bots.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3805
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I agree, Food Fight and Nali Weapons III are definitely worth their file size!

BunnyTrack is also an interesting UT gametype for solo play, however, its not about fragging, but platforming. Thats not really arena either, but maybe worth a try :D
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Thanks for all the answers, much appreciated.
If you dont want to read below: could someone point me to the latest versions of BunnyTrack and MonsterHunt gametypes?
  • Food Fight!: very funny and I bet this friends is even better; I like the burger-delivery mode, I think there was one similar mutator that removed the flag and spawned a middle flag that people needed to bring in the enemy base (or in their own base, can't remember). One thing papercoffe: there's a bug with the carrotgun, the Carroteer. Sometimes it stops firing and won't let me do anything, not even change to other weapons.
  • Nali Weapons: this looks very impressive, just checking the "gameplay" tab there's so many options... I like the weapons too, so yeah, thanks for linking this, wasn't even aware of it. Also worth keeping
  • Ferbotz: these look cool, but I don't understand if they currently work or not, and I'm waiting to download them (still haven't read the whole thread)
  • Bunny Track: yeah I was aware of this, actually have some old maps as well ^^ it's funny, but the map has got to have good music :ironic:
  • Monster Hunt: I downloaded this, and some bots wouldn't even try to walk around. I like the concepts, it's similar to invasion from 2004 but it has more of a campaign-single player feeling because of the progression. I also tried monsterarena, and again, bots stay still. And this with the default maps! :(
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

der Kas wrote:One thing papercoffe: there's a bug with the carrotgun, the Carroteer. Sometimes it stops firing and won't let me do anything, not even change to other weapons.[/list]
Oh ...that's odd. Did you play it with another mutator at the same time? Did you got the final version of FF?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

For single player I'd also recommend to give some of these a try:

Gametypes:
-Jailbreak III Gold: A CTF/TDM variation where 2 teams capture the other teams players... once the whole team is in the cell... :twisted:
-Scavenger Hunt: A little low on maps but VERY fun with bots. Scavenge the map to find flags worth 5, 10, 25 and 50 points and bring it to your base... theres also a black flag that should be brought to the enemy base to reduce their score.
- CTF4/CTFM: 4 team CTF... Oh my! :rock:

Mods/Mutators:
-Xmaps: Customize your maplists
-Xbots: 32 bots not enough? How about 200? ;)
-XConsole: REALLY useful Console replacement both online and offline alike.
-Dynamic Arena: All players get the same weapon for 30 seconds or so. Then it cycles to a different gun and so on.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

You could play a Deathmatch game using AlienMode · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/94350.html
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UnrealGecko wrote: -XConsole: REALLY useful Console replacement both online and offline alike.
You forgot to mention, AFTER it will get fixed...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11974&start=15#p94858
I'm Playing alone (or with Bots) and I have stop using this thing.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Ferbotz does work. Some people have trouble understanding how to install them to get it to work.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?