Quake 1 Weapons

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
OwYeaW
Experienced

Quake 1 Weapons

Post by OwYeaW »

yo
p1mb3sa6-RQ
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gj7o8 ... uakePak.u
id like to use the axe in UT99
since this is already in Unreal 1, will it be easy to get it working in UT99?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Quake 1 Weapons

Post by EvilGrins »

You mean this · viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5654&start=60 · I presume?

Although, those may be Quake 3 weapons...

I edited 1 MH map with it already · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108646.html

Also started a discussion thread on a weird thingy about it · viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11748
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

EvilGrins wrote:You mean this · viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5654&start=60 · I presume?

Although, those may be Quake 3 weapons...

I edited 1 MH map with it already · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108646.html

Also started a discussion thread on a weird thingy about it · viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11748
those are Quake 3 weapons, awesome stuff, but i want the Quake 1 weapons :P
so im not sure how hard it will be to get it working in UT99, i have no experience with modeling etc
and its mostly about the melee weapon, the axe, so just 1 weapon(i guess its also one of the simplest weapons to do)

if this wont be possible id like to see for alternatives, ive already looked around for some nice melee weapons, but havent found one that fits my needs
would be great if you can give me some nice melee weapons :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

OwYeaW wrote: ... would be great if you can give me some nice melee weapons :)
Check out Unreal4Ever and the Crusader's Axe (plus some other melee weapons like a knife and a pitchfork) - plus, of course, the Bastard Sword from ChaosUT.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

OjitroC wrote:Check out Unreal4Ever and the Crusader's Axe (plus some other melee weapons like a knife and a pitchfork) - plus, of course, the Bastard Sword from ChaosUT.
ive checked all the melee weapons and i dont think any of them is good enough :p
it seems that in general melee weapons look really bad from 3rd person perspective, i guess the biggest problem is the lack of hand/arm animation from the default UT characters

i managed to get the Quake 1 Axe working in UT99, although the 1st person animations are really bad and from 3rd person perspective it looks even more awful lol
if theres anyone with some good modeling skills i think this could be an easy job to edit and fix everything :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OwYeaW wrote:
OjitroC wrote:Check out Unreal4Ever and the Crusader's Axe (plus some other melee weapons like a knife and a pitchfork) - plus, of course, the Bastard Sword from ChaosUT.
ive checked all the melee weapons and i dont think any of them is good enough :p
it seems that in general melee weapons look really bad from 3rd person perspective, i guess the biggest problem is the lack of hand/arm animation from the default UT characters

i managed to get the Quake 1 Axe working in UT99, although the 1st person animations are really bad and from 3rd person perspective it looks even more awful lol
if theres anyone with some good modeling skills i think this could be an easy job to edit and fix everything :)
Third person melee animation isn't possible, because all the default player pawns are vector animated and you can't add new animations without recreating all default ones. With bones animation would this be another thing.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

papercoffee wrote:Third person melee animation isn't possible, because all the default player pawns are vector animated and you can't add new animations without recreating all default ones. With bones animation would this be another thing.
yes exactly
the Chaos Sword looks pretty good from 3rd person perspective, the way its placed in the hand and does the slash animation
so i got an idea: replace the Chaos Sword mesh with the Quake Axe mesh, is this possible?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OwYeaW wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Third person melee animation isn't possible, because all the default player pawns are vector animated and you can't add new animations without recreating all default ones. With bones animation would this be another thing.
yes exactly
the Chaos Sword looks pretty good from 3rd person perspective, the way its placed in the hand and does the slash animation
so i got an idea: replace the Chaos Sword mesh with the Quake Axe mesh, is this possible?
Same problem... you have to recreate the hands and arm and animate everything anew.

For example: Chaos, Food Fight and NW3 ...all of them have their own hands.
If you use a swapper and mix them with the default UT weapons will you notice it.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

papercoffee wrote:Same problem... you have to recreate the hands and arm and animate everything anew.
i dont want to see new hands/arms in 3rd person perspective
only in 1st person you should see the arm and hand holding the axe

if the slash animations are too hard to make, then it would also be fine if the weapon doesnt have a fire and alt fire, so it would only be 'for show'
so in this case: no animations, just the axe placed in the hand
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OwYeaW wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Same problem... you have to recreate the hands and arm and animate everything anew.
That's what I meant ...the first person hands are also vector animated and are part of the actual weapon you are holding in front of you.
The third person weapon model is a totally different model (very low poly).

Open the Editor and look into the mesh browser ...nearly every weapon uses 3 different models.
Pick-up model, 3rd person model, 1st person model. All of them use also different textures for 1st and 3rd person... exception is the Pulse-Rifle which uses only one for both modes.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

papercoffee wrote:
OwYeaW wrote:
That's what I meant ...the first person hands are also vector animated and are part of the actual weapon you are holding in front of you.
The third person weapon model is a totally different model (very low poly).

Open the Editor and look into the mesh browser ...nearly every weapon uses 3 different models.
Pick-up model, 3rd person model, 1st person model. All of them use also different textures for 1st and 3rd person... exception is the Pulse-Rifle which uses only one for both modes.
aha i see,
so in case of the Quake 1 Axe, the 1st person model looks alright(it has a decent arm and hand holding the axe) just the slash animation is ugly
so if i can remove the animations and remove fire and alt fire in the script, it will look fine
and for a 3rd person model only the arm and hand should be removed to make it look good(no animations needed)

does this sound good?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OwYeaW wrote:does this sound good?
You can try this ...but I highly doubt that you can realise it without to re-animate the new mesh.
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

papercoffee wrote:You can try this ...but I highly doubt that you can realise it without to re-animate the new mesh.
the whole purpose of the Axe would be to have at least something in hand
im working on a map where you will spawn without any weapons, this doesnt really look nice
since the map's theme is Quake, this Axe would fit in perfectly
fire/altfire are not necessary so animations are not needed, the Axe just needs to fit in the hand

i have no experience with modeling, im hoping if someone here likes to do this for me
to do in short: edit the 1st person model by removing the arm/hand so the 3rd person model is an Axe only
and i guess it should have the right coordinates to fit precisely in the players hand
thats it :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

the file via that link seems to be broken
after googling i found working files here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mirror ... ke.com/oz/
although, these are quake3 weapons, unfinished also

so i wanna try to edit the Axe mesh and make my own weapon with it
i tried to find out which programs to use but its hard to understand for me without investing a lot of time

so can anyone give me few simple instructions, which path should i take?

unreal editor 227 to export a mesh out of a .u file into a .3d file?
then import it in a modeling program?