UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Any kind of tutorial regarding U-Ed and mapping belongs here
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Re: UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Post by smeerkat »

Yes, Sound and Triggers are part of my to-do list. 8)

But somebody else will have to make an Assault Map tutorial, because I've never made one. :P
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

smeerkat wrote: But somebody else will have to make an Assault Map tutorial, because I've never made one. :P
1st time for everything *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* :mrgreen:
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

UnrealGecko wrote:Looking forward to gametype specific tutorials (Assault, to be precise)
This tutorial is not good enough?
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... or_AS_(UT) (the link is broken, because this forum chops off the last bracket in the URL
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

smeerkat wrote:
UnrealGecko wrote:Looking forward to gametype specific tutorials (Assault, to be precise)
This tutorial is not good enough?
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... or_AS_(UT) (the link is broken, because this forum chops off the last bracket in the URL
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Ma ... or_AS_(UT) just use the URL tag and it works :wink:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

UnrealGecko wrote:
smeerkat wrote: But somebody else will have to make an Assault Map tutorial, because I've never made one. :P
1st time for everything *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* :mrgreen:

Smeerkat gives me with every video more and more inspiration to upload more videos too. Maybe he and I can cooperate. Maybe I can make a video tutorial for AS.

As well other interesting stuff. :)

Edit: I dusted off my old rusty brain and know the info I need to make a nice tutorial for Assault. Coming soon! :rock:
This member can only post when permitted.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Terraniux wrote:smeerkat gives me with every video more and more inspiration to upload more videos too. Maybe he and I can cooperate. Maybe I can make a video tutorial for AS.

As well other interesting stuff. :)
Go for it! :rock:

My videos are focused on teaching all the basics to a new mapper, so that they can produce a good map. I'm going to make tutorials on these features:

Sound
Music
Triggers
Textures
Special brushes
Skybox
Water / Lava
Preparing your map for public release

So if you want to focus on more advanced tutorials (How to make an AS map, how to make a CTF map, map optimization, AttachMovers, etc), that would be cool. 8)
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

smeerkat wrote: So if you want to focus on more advanced tutorials (How to make an AS map, how to make a CTF map, map optimization, AttachMovers, etc), that would be cool. 8)
Here it is:

I have stuffy nose, and only have time to do it now so.
In all of my mapping years, this actually my first attempt to make a video tutorial

If you have tips or commentary for my next recording, do tell, never done this before, untill now :loool:

GwfGhs1xmw4
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Terraniux wrote:If you have tips or commentary for my next recording, do tell, never done this before, until now :loool:
GwfGhs1xmw4
Good job! Hope you'll keep making more vids on UnrealEd. UT99 is still the best. 8)

Here are my comments, I hope you find them useful:

1) In order to keep your video as short as possible (so that viewers will watch the whole thing in one go), have your video start at the latest possible time. In this example, I would have pre-built the 5 rooms, doorways and red buttons. Maybe the PlayerStarts too. So your video starts with you assigning Teams to the PlayerStarts, and changing GameType = Assault. That would reduce the video length by around 6 - 7 minutes. I try to keep my videos under 15 minutes, and if the content is too long then I simply make two videos instead of one.

2) I always write a rough script before I start recording, so I can go through my points faster and not forget any important tips. I have my notes on paper, for easy reading and flipping.

3) Remove all background noise (you had a radio playing or something?). Sometimes my computer fan can get noisy, so I have a solid shield between my microphone and the computer.

4) As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, most YouTube tutorial videos have "umms" and "ahhs" which are distracting to the viewer and also makes you sound uncertain of your content. Don't worry, it takes practice to consciously avoid saying "umm" and "ahh". The more videos you make, the easier it gets. Here's a video that offers some advice on that subject:
I still have the occasional "umm" and "ahh", so I know how hard it is to avoid. :)
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for doing all of this.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

smeerkat wrote:
Good job! Hope you'll keep making more vids on UnrealEd. UT99 is still the best. 8)

Here are my comments, I hope you find them useful:

1) In order to keep your video as short as possible (so that viewers will watch the whole thing in one go), have your video start at the latest possible time. In this example, I would have pre-built the 5 rooms, doorways and red buttons. Maybe the PlayerStarts too. So your video starts with you assigning Teams to the PlayerStarts, and changing GameType = Assault. That would reduce the video length by around 6 - 7 minutes. I try to keep my videos under 15 minutes, and if the content is too long then I simply make two videos instead of one.

2) I always write a rough script before I start recording, so I can go through my points faster and not forget any important tips. I have my notes on paper, for easy reading and flipping.

3) Remove all background noise (you had a radio playing or something?). Sometimes my computer fan can get noisy, so I have a solid shield between my microphone and the computer.

4) As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, most YouTube tutorial videos have "umms" and "ahhs" which are distracting to the viewer and also makes you sound uncertain of your content. Don't worry, it takes practice to consciously avoid saying "umm" and "ahh". The more videos you make, the easier it gets. Here's a video that offers some advice on that subject:
I still have the occasional "umm" and "ahh", so I know how hard it is to avoid. :)
Thank you. Yes I will make more videos.
I really liked making this video, there will me more.
I actually thought that was better to, ( to premade everything) then later decided to do it from scratch since people can follow every single step I do. It gives them less question because they can always look back by rewinding the video.
There is a first time for everything haha. You keep on making videos too.

Thank you for the tips, I will use them :) :thuup:
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Doors and Triggers tutorial:

- How to make a door mover
- Surface Properties - Texture panning - horizontal, vertical
- How to add a Trigger to your map
- Collision Height, Collision Radius
- Actors - Radii View
- How to add a Dispatcher
- How to add a SpecialEvent
- TriggerControl vs TriggerOpenTimed
- Maximum number of events per Dispatcher
- Multiple Uses for Triggers
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Nice, loved it. :gj: :gj: :gj:

Im about to upload the [advanced] tutorial on the assault game mode soon.
It covers also the uses of triggers and stuff.

This time it will have less eehhhh :P ( I hope )

After that I will bring a full story on MonsterHunt, which I have mapped for years now.
That will be a piece of cake for me. :highfive:
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Terraniux wrote:... I will bring a full story on MonsterHunt, which I have mapped for years now. That will be a piece of cake for me. :highfive:
Yes, a detailed tutorial about MonsterHunt mapping would be really useful. Not just the technical aspect, but what makes a good MH map. Perhaps with some quick examples of other MH maps.

If it's going to exceed 15 minutes, then split it into separate videos.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Adding Sound and Music to your map:

- How to add an AmbientSound to your map
- Actors Radii View
- How to adjust Radius and Volume (you can also adjust Pitch)
- Add ambient sound to any Actor in your map
- How to choose a Music track for your map (Music browser)
- How to get Music tracks from other games
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

My second video will be this, I give you preview:

Blow shit up and get drunk - while partying!

Hf4RXgk8Q3k

I just need have this cold to be over :what: