Managing bots

Discussions about UT99
Zanna
Average

Managing bots

Post by Zanna »

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5965
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3691

I already read both of these threads, but they don't seem to help much.
And before making the huge effort of setting up enormous bot lists I want to be sure this is possible.

Let's say in my list one, in xBots, I have all the bots with different colors, skills, names, models, etc.

Scenario 1
I want to pick four bots of my choice from list one. I should be disable everybody and then pick the ones I want in the list and enable them, right? Then go in practice, add mutator xBots, select 4 bots and start. Well it doesn't work at all.

Scenario 2
I want to have a 3vs3 in a team game, with bots and sides which I pick. I want these 3 bots to go on Blue Team and these 3 bots to go on Red Team.

Now I'm pretty sure there's NO MUTATOR or MOD that allows me to do this (inb4 write one).
What I'm asking is: is this possible by commands in the console?

I was thinking of something like this: you start a practice game alone; then before the game commences you say something like "add bot #4" and this adds the bot number four in the list, or "add bot Zanna blue" and this adds Zanna to the game on the blue team. This would actually be easier instead of the menus and all that jazz. Even if the console commands work only with the first 32 default bots it'd be fine, but I want to have this kind of control

So, console geniuses, do you know of any ancient and lost magical words that can achieve this? :help:
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Managing bots

Post by EvilGrins »

Zanna wrote:I want to pick four bots of my choice from list one. I should be disable everybody and then pick the ones I want in the list and enable them, right? Then go in practice, add mutator xBots, select 4 bots and start. Well it doesn't work at all.
Okay, you caught onto the "enable bots" part. That's good.

However you need to make sure whichever list you've selected your bots to be on is selected:
Xbots comes with 6 lists, so you need to un-select the lists you don't want too.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

You think I didn't unselect the others? :wtf:
For some reasons it doesn't work at all. Readme says it's 055.

I noticed that when I "deactivate all" in UT Config they get reactivated automatically. They get picked no matter what list I select
Are you using a different version?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

There's only 2 versions of Xbots. One with 6 lists and the other with 9 lists... I don't like the 9 as it automatically re-configures your bots' settings.
Zanna wrote:I noticed that when I "deactivate all" in UT Config they get reactivated automatically.
You don't want to unselect ALL of the lists, just the ones you don't want.

UT Config? Just use the Xbots own config, you don't need whatever that other thing is.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

xbots.png
xbots.png (50.96 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
Everybody is disabled, except the first three bots of the first list, "testlsit".
If I go in "Configure UT Bot list" every bot gets auto-enabled by itself, even if I keep pressing "deactivate all", after I close the window and reopen it, they're enabled again.

Can you link me your version of xBots? Maybe i'm using some weird stuff? :loool:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Zanna wrote:after I close the window and reopen it, they're enabled again.
Do you have write and read rights on this .u/.ini file?
Just asking.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Zanna wrote: ... If I go in "Configure UT Bot list" every bot gets auto-enabled by itself, even if I keep pressing "deactivate all", after I close the window and reopen it, they're enabled again.
If you're only using your first list, you don't need to go into "Configure UT Bot List" (that's the list of bots in your User.ini). I think that is causing your problem - just configure the bots you want in your testlist, check the first list checkbox and close the XBox configuration menu. Your testlist will be the second list in XBotsLists.ini (headed [XBots9b.XBotsBotInfoL01]), after [XBots9b.XBotsChallengeBotInfo] which refers to the list in the User.ini.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Open up Xbots.ini

Top of each list looks basically looks like this:
[XBots.XBotsBotInfoL02]
slotUsed[0]=1
slotUsed[1]=1
slotUsed[2]=1
slotUsed[3]=1
slotUsed[4]=1
slotUsed[5]=1
slotUsed[6]=1
slotUsed[7]=1
slotUsed[8]=1

For the bots you don't want, change the "1" to "0".

I had a similar issue a stretch back, but it was due to something wrong with the .ini file. It wouldn't log changes, had somehow switched to "Read Only".
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:Open up Xbots.ini
Not XBots.ini - that looks something like this [but ignore the precise details of names as I've configured it a little differently
Spoiler
[XBots.XBotsConfigStore]
list01name=Custom List One
list02name=UTBot List
list03name=Custom List Two
list04name=Custom List Three
list05name=Custom List Four
list01used=True
list02used=True
list03used=True
list04used=True
list05used=True
listUTused=False
As I said above, it's XBotsLists.ini that contains the lists of bots - I assume that you (Zanna) have configured the bots in list1 and that they show up under [XBots9b.XBotsBotInfoL01] - ignore the 9b bit as I use the version with more lists.

It may be as well to configure the whole of your List1 so that there are 32 bots and then either use the Xbots configuration window to deselect those you do not want to use or do it manually as EG suggests. I think perhaps the 'Engine' looks for 16 bots (or 32) and so if these aren't available in your List1, it will use bots from the User.ini and possibly this is why you can't delect them when you go into Configure UT Bots (but you don't need to go into this except to configure the bots in your User.ini (the list is headed [Botpack.ChallengeBotInfo])).
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

My bad.

Right, it's XBotsLists.ini and not the other thing.

Wasn't quite awake when I sent that.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Turns out the file was read only for some stupid reasons Windows will tell me one day. I already modified and studied the inis
Now there seems to be another problem though? I must be doing something wrong or the bots must really hate me

This screen was taken with game of 16bots, all the five lists enabled, UT list disabled; all bots in all lists are disabled except all the ones in the first list. Where is the mutator taking Bot#? There are 32 bots to choose from, and the max I can put is 16, so there should be no problem. I expected this to happen if I enabled only 1 bot and played with 16, but not in this case... This doesn't happen always, sometimes I get lucky and there's no Bot#.
16bots.png
This other screen was taken with game of 1bot, same setting as above but only the first bot of the first list is enabled. Instead of getting my custom bot (it has a random scribbled name), I get one of the default. Instead of a random Bot# this time I get a name.
2.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I seem to remember having the Botno. problem when I first used XBots, but can't remember what the cause was. However - does the UT.log say anything about this; have you checked your list carefully for any possible mistakes in assigning skins or things like that? The fact it happens randomly suggests that XBots always can't 'generate' certain bots.

For XBots to insert Malakai into your game, there must be a bot called that in one of the bot lists. Perhaps do a search for that name in all the text files in your system directory to see if that is the case?

Have you tried disabling all the lists except the one you are using?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Malakai is a default bot with ok-ish stats.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote:Malakai is a default bot with ok-ish stats.
Yes, sure - which suggests to me that, for some reason, XBots was using the bot list in the User.ini although that list (the UT list) is disabled - possibly XBots needs at least 16 bots to choose from and when it can't, as in this case since only one bot was enabled, it uses the default list in the User.ini. The basic purpose of XBots is two-fold - to increase the number of bot configurations possible and to pick bots at random. It may be the latter that is frustrating what Zanna wants to do.

After trying a game with one bot, you could look at the XBotsRandom.ini to see what bots are in it.
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

Zanna wrote:
16bots.png
is other screen was taken with game of 1bot, same setting as above but only the first bot of the first list is enabled. Instead of getting my custom bot (it has a random scribbled name), I get one of the default. Instead of a random Bot# this time I get a name.
2.png
this happens when the name of 2 or more bots become the same ...use note pad browser and check bot names 1 by 1... :idea2: