PSXNelsian Release

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

PSXNelsian Release

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I withdrew this release since September last year (don't ask) and didn't get around updating/changing it since.

Here it is again, and with a full credit list:

PSXNelsian
Code and sound fx: LeoTCK
Mesh: Epic
New animations and UV map (and orig mesh import code): Alcapowned
Code fixes and one sound effect: CodeX
GreenDevil skin by: Metalfist

Please refer to Changes.txt for the cool changes made by CodeX.

PSXNelsianRelease.rar

I'm not posting this at sites where I feel I've been mistreated now though.

For more cool things, refer to here http://www.newbiesplayground.net/dogfor ... 9686fd4a07

Things like GunTurret etc.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: PSXNelsian Release

Post by EvilGrins »

In my defense, I've never mistreated you. I called you crazy once... but that was only after you started a thread on BU stating you were insane.

So, that's really on you.

Interesting little beasties you've got here:

Kinda remind me of slightly slower predators (2-legged piranha) as they pretty much just run around and bite... although you get enough of them together and that's a lotta damage still.

Mouths are a little weird...
...that's a Hell of an overbite!

Ran into only 1 problem, that might've had to do with interaction with other mutators being used:

They're kinda cute!

Okay, tried it again and it happened again... with a different color devil.

3rd time was not the charm, happened again. Removed a mutator, beginning to think it may have more to do with 137 of the things running around on the map at a time.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That crash sounds known to me... it happened at my firsts versions of MBot. It occurs at a state change and new state doesn't have function which is called post state-change. So new state with no function will crash properly doesn't matter what you do...
This is UT'99 not U227.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

These are excellent - have just tried them out and they are ferocious fun - thanks for posting them :gj:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

EvilGrins wrote:So, that's really on you.
You just lit the fuse on a rocket ship fully fueled and aiming for low earth orbit. Enjoy the trip.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

JackGriffin wrote:Enjoy the trip.
Not necessarily. Be more optimistic!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I will learn to survive...

either way the crash, never had it on unreal 225 either, are you sure you rebuilt paths in your map? It can lead to problems like these and that function does exist in nelsian and all. It is based upon the predator code however. There is a backstory to this pawn, it was one of the first creatures devised for Unreal and later re-vised in the Unreal novel Hard Crash where the Skaarj are using Nelsians just like the Predators use these http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Hell-hound

It's recycling that concept and with the nali cows, nali rabbits and predators they are the only creatures in unreal to just have two legs and no arms (while gasbags for instance have no legs instead).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's not about paths. Just made sure to have PICKDESTINATION in state where it's missing (state hidding ?). Like I said U227/225 is checking if function exist. UT is crashing if function doesn't exist. Each state should have a PickDestination - It's a MUST not an Option. EG probably has a faster machine and I see such a crash at MBot on an I7 machine too - I believe they are too fast at state changes... so I went to add some "Sleep" codes here and there...

Aside if map has bad paths (like 90% of maps) monster should still track ambience to avoid Walls - that's not an answer.

My Occurrence:
I have added a new bool function at MBot called NearbyNode. It was supposed to exist only in state roaming. But... because a state change went too fast, Bot was calling that from a different state (Attacking). Because state Attacking did not include bool NearbyNode, game was happily crashing. UT doesn't include a null function check as newer Unreal/s does.
Fixing: = Moving function bool NearbyNode from state to Pawn code - outside of state roaming in order to get called from any state when pawn needs it - problem is now some timing as I deducted because by example Pickdestination gets called from multiple states and I don't know which one called belongs to which state... so Pawn has chances to have a wrong reaction in a random moment of existence.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I've played well over a dozen games on different maps in UT using the PSXNelsian (only a few at a time 'dropped in' via MonsterSpawn) and have not experienced a PickDestination crash. My log reports no ScriptWarnings nor indeed anything else to do with the Nelsian.

The only thing I have noticed is that the GreenDevil has a seeming partial immunity to headshots in that it can take four, five, six headshots to kill it, unlike the other two Nelsians. I know I am hitting it as I get the HeadShot message/announcement and the momentum of the hit sends the creature backwards. Plus, of course, if it charging directly at you it is difficult to hit it anywhere other than the head.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Okay I admit I never saw a problem like that before and until now the monster releases from Unreal always just worked on UT. I wasn't aware of this behavior. If you feel like making UT version of this, go ahead. Though please put the original file to SystemConform (if doesn't exist make the directory), that way it will be conformed when you compile it through ucc make automatically to the version I released. This will prevent online mismatches.

--Merged posts--
OjitroC wrote:I've played well over a dozen games on different maps in UT using the PSXNelsian (only a few at a time 'dropped in' via MonsterSpawn) and have not experienced a PickDestination crash. My log reports no ScriptWarnings nor indeed anything else to do with the Nelsian.

The only thing I have noticed is that the GreenDevil has a seeming partial immunity to headshots in that it can take four, five, six headshots to kill it, unlike the other two Nelsians. I know I am hitting it as I get the HeadShot message/announcement and the momentum of the hit sends the creature backwards. Plus, of course, if it charging directly at you it is difficult to hit it anywhere other than the head.
Interesting. Well, the GreenDevil is supposed to be stronger, but a specific headshot immunity wasn't planned I think, just that he's a bit boosted up.
EDIT: I'm trying it out in UT in the unreal psx campaign by spawning a lot of nelsians. So far no crash but I haven't reached hundreds yet.
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged double posts - UnrealGGecko
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Though please put the original file to SystemConform (if doesn't exist make the directory), that way it will be conformed when you compile it through ucc make automatically to the version I released. This will prevent online mismatches.
Now this is another must have info. I have a folder called SystemConform according to some resources but I did not know entirely what's the deal with it. So this conforming thing can be... automated, yaay.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

sektor2111 wrote:
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Though please put the original file to SystemConform (if doesn't exist make the directory), that way it will be conformed when you compile it through ucc make automatically to the version I released. This will prevent online mismatches.
Now this is another must have info. I have a folder called SystemConform according to some resources but I did not know entirely what's the deal with it. So this conforming thing can be... automated, yaay.
Yes it can.

I spawned hundred nelsians/devils and still no crash. I really think its the maps evilgrins was running, that pathing wasn't rebuilt or something silly or something else is broken. I don't see a need for UT version yet really.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Interesting. Well, the GreenDevil is supposed to be stronger, but a specific headshot immunity wasn't planned I think, just that he's a bit boosted up.
It certainly is a tough little Devil. Great fun though, as are the noises they make.

I've played more games with the Nelsian this afternoon and have had no problems - no crashes, nothing in the log.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Keep in mind that a crash from pathing looks totally different (see some MH-Egyptica). Like I said, I7 with no timer fix does funky things in similar cases when a function is not where it belongs to. I gotta admit some "muts" and timers and crap loaded might accelerate problems.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:either way the crash, never had it on unreal 225 either
Try them under the same conditions I viewed them in · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/113269.html

I play with 8 bots backing me.