Post by smeerkat »

Elevator tutorial:

- ElevatorMover brush and Properties
- ElevatorTrigger actor and Properties
- number of keys required for your mover
- mover sounds
- move time
- Ignore when encroach = important

If someone actually makes an elevator in their map, let me know! Would love to see it in action. 8)
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Post by Terraniux »

I'm busy making my MonsterHunt Tutorial. This will cover a lot of information, which I think will be split into parts if necessary.

Question: Are there any specific things you like to know?
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yeah,I would like to know if Kenneth Watson will enter the stage someday, because that man is able to return a mountain of answers MH related, because he coded it and he used tiny smarty things in MH's default maps which nobody uses nowadays.
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

Terraniux wrote:I'm busy making my MonsterHunt Tutorial. This will cover a lot of information, which I think will be split into parts if necessary.
Yes, splitting it into 10-15 minute chunks will make it more digestible.

I'm a complete newbie, so I would need to know:

- where to download and install the latest version of MH, and any other patches besides UT 436
- how to configure the Unreal Editor for MH (which packages, what folder, any .ini files that need to changed)
- is this going to mess up my UT99 editor?
- what Actors must be included in my map to make it work in MH
- are there any special considerations when adding PathNodes for bots
- recommended number of PlayerStarts, weapons, health boxes, ammo, pickups
- list of Monsters in MH, and their strengths/weaknesses
- simple, sample MH map in action
- where is the community forum, if I have any other questions?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@Smeerkat
Because I have respect for your quality work, I'm not gonna blabbering with presumptions. So first let's get into resources - and YES EVERYONE should read these pages and original help coming with UMOD package for understanding the purpose of MH and the way how do it works http://www.unreal2.co.za/mh/

- MH will not screw UT install - last official is version 503 Not conformed with nothing previously released;
- Paths are usual but exist isolated cases when DevPath is pushed closer to "not working" because of the load devastating CPU cycles hard-coded in Engine - a powerful CPU doesn't help here either;
- maps over 2012 are not examples of mapping MH and neither those empty cubes with nothing like MH;
- PlayerStarts = Max 16 active at time - MH uses original TeamGamePlus playerstart seeking method and getting those "bEnabled" ones;
- Sample maps are default maps but not all of them;
- Monsters are stock/custom and their strength is screwed by MH's "difficulty" system - this is a tiny bit of tech which we can debate later;
- a Forum is/was at UT-Files.com (Skillz) which do includes a Sub-Forum - old PlanetMonsterHunt;
- Bot Support Hints is described in Mod's Help coming with UMOD which no one is reading and that's why it's all a stupid guess about Bot - Including that "GamerBoy" which did not continued tutorial at this point, because he was out of subject even at reading an English Help.
- as CTF uses Flags - MH uses a MonsterEnd trigger for ending game - this can be active or inactive being activated by a monster or dispatched with other ending sounds/lights/effects, etc. in order to make end more spectacular.

If you read what Shrimp was writing, you'll figure what was the goal and a bit of How to. The rest of job is UT itself and MyLevel for creative people (this needs some cheap hacks) it's part of coding stuff for MH.

Edit: Some of default rules are not in account for different custom MH types done because... they went improved over years as long as Shrimp (author) went away leaving this thing pretty unfinished.
PS: The most of info toward MH is granted by CODERS which were writing general patches for maps and MH modifications.

By playing original MH maps (some of them a bit wrong as they are) you'll figure what was good and what was bad at them, and drawing conclusions about "How To". Then you'll be able to make a MH Video-Tutorial.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Ok, thank you both for the feedback.

- Since I have my own domain I can place any necessary downloads on it.
- I cán do bothpathing, but I am not very good at it. There are a few maps of me that fully work, but I never got to fully understand it -- since my maps are often complex.
But I will try to explain it wherever I can.
- I've made MH maps since the MH mod came out. So thats a pretty long time.
- I know plenty of forums.

For the rest, I can explain everything from A to Z. The only problem I will probably encounter is, the correct translations, for I am not a native english speaker.

Everyone here has his own unique talent, and lets combine that together :thuup:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A MH demo map with Bot Support ( without PathNodes, LOL ) about "How To" deal with MonsterWayPoint Keypoint Actor is here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11947&start=75#p96043
Enter in game alone, if Bot Spawns order it to "Assault".
Techs about DevPath. If Actor which A.I. is looking for is behind a door and there is no NavigationPoint directly visible/reachable to that actor, that actor cannot be found until that door is open. Such a sample is here with MonsterEnd. Bot ordered to Attack after touching Last MonsterWayPoint will run in place for aprox. 1 second until last door is open and then will go to end as long as Trigger can be found.

Note: Do not get fooled by some experts* saying that InventorySpot is not suitable as a path-way to an objective. Oh well, InventorySpot can always substitute a PathNode and it is advisable to not use PathNode at less than 50UU distance from other NavigationPoint - InventorySpot being included, because is pointless and might stuck Pawn in spot. This map is an example about these Devs generally...
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

I'm struggling to make the Monsterhunt tutorial, because most of the stuff is already said by Nelsona. I'm also finding difficulties while not trying to state the obvious.
There is a tiny amount to of people of that doesn't understand MH - but a single google search actually gives all the info you need.

I think I skip ahead to the mapping part instead. Then I'm not at a loss of words.
Edit: in the mapping part I will cover perhaps some very basic things, on what monsterhunt actually is and represents but nothing more or less.

If anyone feels up the task to cover these points :

What is MonsterHunt?
Mods and Addons
Installing
Forums and Information.

Please take over this task of me.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To not spam things just a few notes if map is aiming a default MH server with not that much tuning:
- forget Razorjack at once with SkaarjOfficer with this weapon;
- forget quadshot;
- forget more than 16 PlayerStart actors active at time;
- forget translocator specific paths and CTF things;
- forget any other guess based work;
- forget "map-secret" concept - it's secret in first week then it turns into a real race to the "secret" place;
- forget too much stupid BT - some monster-hunters will leave because "monster-hunter != BT-hunter";
- forget old great MyLevel things which spam crap in Log file;
- forget ThingFactory for spawning monsters - it is CreatureFactory for such purpose.

First 3 problems to forget are not a real problem in fixed MH versions - simply MH suffered a major split here, it's up on you. Aside if we want to get rid of old trash releasing place for improved MH types these 3 points are not such a harmful thing.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

My 25th video: Advanced Doors

- 2D Shape Editor
- get image from current texture (Skaarj.utx)
- texture alignment
- merge polygons
- Trigger Control
- assumes you already know how to make movers

Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Massive thanks @smeerkat for these awesome tutorials.
I have posted them on my website and hope people will use them.

Really enjoy the simple to understand style that you use :gj:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Thank you! Please link to my full playlist here (35 videos) :
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

OK, after some long time thinking, I think the fastest way for me to actually present my promise / idea for making a tutorial, it will be in PDF format. In the meantime I discussed with smeerkat about this ( sorry to keep you waiting)
At first I though MH was only in interest for a few people, but it seems grown in popularity. Even tho I'm busy with work and stuff, every 1 hour spending making a tutorial seems very productive for me.

Smeerkat is willing to do the voice, I do the writing. Video may be produced later.

So I will start my tutorial on MH after all :D. Starting tonight. :mrgreen: